(LOW SMP GPA) - Any former PCOM biomed students know about the acceptance rate into the DO program from the biomed program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcatcat45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing PCOM students AND staff talking about how students who had C's and some students FAILED courses, retook them in the biomed program, and still got accepted into the med school. One girl claimed to have a 497 MCAT and a C+ in a course in the program, and is now a second year DO student.

I'm sorry, that just sounds too good to be true? Is it really possible? I have a low SMP GPA/MCAT and I finished my interview and am waiting for my decision. I just want to hear from former students about their experience, because this is unheard of. I was planning on retaking the MCAT and raising my graduate GPA if I'm not accepted.

Edit: I should add that this is why I'm highly irritated and skeptical of the stuff I read online. Someone with my stats should've never received an interview from PCOM according to everyone on sdn, yet I did. Students who did much worse than I did in the SMP/MCAT got in. This isn't anecdotal. These are multiple people and staff members in the Biomed department. I feel like you guys are way too harsh on some students for no reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I keep hearing PCOM students AND staff talking about how students who had C's and some students FAILED courses, retook them in the biomed program, and still got accepted into the med school. One girl claimed to have a 497 MCAT and a C+ in a course in the program, and is now a second year DO student.

I'm sorry, that just sounds too good to be true? Is it really possible? I have a low SMP GPA/MCAT and I finished my interview and am waiting for my decision. I just want to hear from former students about their experience, because this is unheard of. I was planning on retaking the MCAT and raising my graduate GPA if I'm not accepted.
Are you referring to students who did poorly in undergrad and did well during the Biomed SMP who are getting in? Because that sounds plausible. Or people failing courses in the SMP and still getting in? Because that is highly unlikely. I could see someone with a single C+ having a shot if they aced every other course.

Unfortunately for you if you did an SMP and did poorly, you may need to start looking at other careers. There are many hurdles and set backs a premed can run into on their journey, but doing poorly on a SMP is a dead end. Your medical career is likely over. @Goro I know you've spoken on this before, would appreciate your confirmation.

Are you referring to students who did poorly in undergrad and did well during the Biomed SMP who are getting in? Because that sounds plausible. Or people failing courses in the SMP and still getting in? Because that is highly unlikely. I could see someone with a single C+ having a shot if they aced every other course.

Unfortunately for you if you did an SMP and did poorly, you may need to start looking at other careers. There are many hurdles and set backs a premed can run into on their journey, but doing poorly on a SMP is a dead end. Your medical career is likely over. @Goro I know you've spoken on this before, would appreciate your confirmation.
No, these are people in the PCOM SMP program who failed courses, retook them, did well the second time around, and PCOM accepted them. This came from several students, and a person that works at PCOM Biomedical department. Despite my stats, I received an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get a guaranteed interview with at least a 3.0 in the program and an MCAT score in the 40th percentile. Not sure what that number is right now. You need to get your application in early and make sure transcripts are sent to admissions after the first term. They often interview later for Biomed students and may delay a decision waiting for second term grades. Guaranteed interview in no way means a guaranteed acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
You can get a guaranteed interview with at least a 3.0 in the program and an MCAT score in the 40th percentile. Not sure what that number is right now. You need to get your application in early and make sure transcripts are sent to admissions after the first term. They often interview later for Biomed students and may delay a decision waiting for second term grades. Guaranteed interview in no way means a guaranteed acceptance.
Yes I’ve already had my interview and am waiting results!

Edit: I should add that this is why I'm highly irritated and skeptical of the stuff I read online. Someone with my stats should've never received an interview from PCOM according to everyone on sdn, yet I did. Students who did much worse than I did in the SMP/MCAT got in. This isn't anecdotal. These are multiple people and staff members in the Biomed department. I feel like you guys are way too harsh on some students for no reason.
You should always be skeptical of believing online information as gospel. That's why I tell people, did you ask the program directors?

It's great if PCOM SMP faculty aren't doing what so many other SMPs do... that is, kick out their students without giving them a chance to repeat courses. We deal in probability, and you have to still network to let us know if it's not the case. Hopefully you get corroboration here, or post it forward (in the postbac forums for sure) so others behind you get accurate information. Good luck! I appreciate the heads up and will do my own snooping...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Linked SMPs provide un measurable information to a program. Schools recognize if a student meets their metric for acceptance during their SMP, their chance of success in med school is quite high. Likewise, observing the student's rising progress, do they ask for help, are they gritty, also might contribute to admission. It's win...win for both student and school. Additional tuition, and a successful graduate

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user