Low stats did post bac what PT schools can I realistically get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.0 and 2.8 science gpa did a post bac got a 3.2 cum/sci gpa. I was a science major so lots of science classes. I took the GRE and got a 155 verbal 153 quantitative and 4 on writing. I have over 100 plus hours working as a volunteer at a physical therapy clinic and various other community service hours around the community. Do you know what schools would accept my stats? I know my chances are low, but I want to apply this year and give it a shot. WHat schools should I take a look at?

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically it's a low shot. With a lower gpa you'll have to find ways to make you undeniable. Could be 320+ GRE, tremendous work/volunteer hours, outstanding letters of Rec...

Look at non-ptcas schools. They may use different pre-reqs that may boost your gpa, or focus on volunteer and life experiences more so you are more than just a number.

I'm sure schools take all your GPA's into consideration but.......

I don't think your science GPA matters too much esp. since you took many hard science courses that are going to be unrelated to PT (schools know this.) Like for example I did bad in organic chemistry and during one of my interviews the interviewer was like what is this D, oh organic chem we do not require that (basically she was like who cares about that, and moved on to ask about other things).

Also, most PT schools don't have a minimum overall science GPA that is required to apply, so that isn't going to make it so that you can't apply to schools.

Your cumulative undergrad and cumulative total GPA matter (some schools have minimums of 3.0 or 3.2) , and the most important part is your prereq GPA, almost all schools have some sort of minimum you need to apply.

As long as you meet the minimum requirements to apply to a school, do it! Your chances might be lower, but if you have an okay prereq GPA, good GRE score, good recommendation letters, and a good essay then you will at least be considered!

You might want to apply to some private schools or some schools in your state since many state schools accept like 80% in state students, so I wouldn't apply to an in-state school in a state I don't live in that has stats like that. Also, there is a thread on schools whose average GPA acceptance rates are the lowest. Haha! But in general you never know, so you might as well go for it. I wouldn't advise applying to over like 10ish schools though bc it is expensive and PTCAS has stats that say your chance to get into a PT school doesn't change once you apply to more than like 7 schools. Apply to ones you are interested in bc there is no way you are actually excited about 20 schools and it is expensive!

Anyway, I had a low GPA, applied to 12 schools, and I'm on 5 waitlists. So no I havn't gotten in anywhere, but I think it is worth a shot & in the mean time try to get your prereq GPA up and do good on the GRE for if you have to apply next round. I know it is hard to get your overall GPA up when you have so many credits into it already but I do think you have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you would have a good shot if you raise your prereq GPA to at least 3.5 or greater and apply to schools that consider last 60 credits or only look at prereq GPA (ie: BU and MGH, etc).

Honestly, don't be discouraged to apply. My stats were relatively similar (3.11 cum, 3.31 prereq and nearly identical GRE scores), and I was accepted into great programs in addition to being waitlisted at other top programs (ex, Pitt). On the flip side, I have nearly 4,500 hours in the field, and recommendations from alumni of programs I applied to. It's always worth a shot to apply and see what happens. You never know what a school is looking for & it may shock you to find that is you.

Your personal statement will be very important. As long as your meet the minimum requirement, also call the school's point of contact to ask them what numbers they will not look at (and go from there). I got in a school with lower stats than you and majored in Chemistry (ruined my GPA!).

My advice is to look at the schools only where you meet their minimum requirements, then follow-up with the schools to see if they will even consider your application. If you can demonstrate why this profession is right for you, it can make a huge difference.

I have a 3.0 and 2.8 science gpa did a post bac got a 3.2 cum/sci gpa. I was a science major so lots of science classes. I took the GRE and got a 155 verbal 153 quantitative and 4 on writing. I have over 100 plus hours working as a volunteer at a physical therapy clinic and various other community service hours around the community. Do you know what schools would accept my stats? I know my chances are low, but I want to apply this year and give it a shot. WHat schools should I take a look at?

Someone posted a list of schools with lower average cum GPAs for accepted students: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...tudent-gpa-average-3-5-or-below-2017.1246407/. Might be worth checking some of these schools out and applying where your stats would not be a hinderance. (Contact schools to check!)

In addition to what others have said, make sure you have observation hours in more than one setting- shoot for at least three distinct settings, with at least one acute/inpatient setting. You have time between now and October to get some hours in at a couple additional settings if you haven't already. Just 15-40 hours/setting is usually enough for adcoms.

HAs anyone got into a pt program with similar stats as mines?

First off, I emphasize with your username lol.

Second, there are plenty of people on the forums whom have gotten in PT school with sub 3.0 GPA (though they are an exception, not the norm.)

I recommend strategically applying to schools that your GPA will be highest at.

First off, I emphasize with your username lol.

Second, there are plenty of people on the forums whom have gotten in PT school with sub 3.0 GPA (though they are an exception, not the norm.)

I recommend strategically applying to schools that your GPA will be highest at.

I feel ya brother haha. Hopefully in the future we can grow back hair via stem cells. Do you know a list of schools I should take a look at?