low stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runfast5k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone got accepted places with low gpas or mcats.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure they have. It depends on how you define "low."

But just remember that stats are only a small part of the application. Clinical experience, volunteering, research, clubs, and other EC's are also an important part. I think to some degree, IMHO, an applicant must show oneself to be a leader and an altruistic person. In addition, an applicant who has low stats probably had an outstanding file with exceptional essays! I say if one thinks the stats are a little "low," then something needs to offset it.

GOOD LUCK.

Members don't see this ad :)
box29 said:
But just remember that stats are only a small part of the application. Clinical experience, volunteering, research, clubs, and other EC's are also an important part. I think to some degree, IMHO, an applicant must show oneself to be a leader and an altruistic person. In addition, an applicant who has low stats probably had an outstanding file with exceptional essays! I say if one thinks the stats are a little "low," then something needs to offset it.

GOOD LUCK.

Well said. If you think your stats are "low", bolster your application with other accomplishments. Then apply to a wide array of schools and let the chips fall where they may.

I feel I had low stats, didn't get over 3.5 gpa and def not great on MCATs.. but my ECs were good enough, EMT, president of organization at school, volunteer experience... though i've heard that NYCOM really loves EMTs and such.

To let you know, people who feel that if you have low stats you might do bad at med schools.. that is completely NOT true... I'm probably doing better in med school than half the people who got A LOT higher stats than I do. Its alla bout self discipline and how you study.

Once you're in med shcool, undergrad is a thing of the past. Who cares what you got on the mcats? care about what you will get on your boards.