Low Step 1 - Risk not matching or dual apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty committed to ophtho but my step 1 score is a major hurdle. Step 1 in low 220s, Step 2 near 250. My school advisor wants me to dual apply to play it safe since it's unusual for someone with a low step 1 to match something as competitive as Ophtho. However, I just cant imagine myself fulfilled in any other field. I already have an away scheduled and my apps for ophtho have already been submitted (applied broadly to all middle & low tier programs). I need advice as to whether I should dual-apply (as in I dont have a shot at all next year if I dont match this year).

Other data:
-Published ~2 ophtho articles
-Plenty of ophtho-related activities / conferences
-Top 30 med school
-Middle tier student
-Female minority (not URM), not sure if that would make a difference

Contingency plan:
Plan A) Dual apply
Plan B) Apply solely Ophtho, possibly go unmatched this cycle. If unmatched, take research year then dual apply

Members don't see this ad.

If you really can't imagine yourself being fulfilled in any other field, then I'd say apply solely to ophthalmology and go from there. If you have a great away at a low to mid tier program and get strong letters, I do think you have a shot. Your step 1 score is the only low point in your application, but you did have a nice improvement on step 2 (although I do realize the step 2 average is probably at least in the 240s). Ophthalmology is a gem, and it's worth a solid shot (obviously biased). If your life circumstances in terms of family/finances/etc. could allow you to take a research year, then I do think you'd have a decent shot at matching. Plan A apply ophtho only, Plan B research year and try again would be my vote (obviously this is a big decision).

What would you dual apply into?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, thank you for the reply! I did like neuro when I rotated there and met some great mentors, but to me, it would be just another job. With ophtho, I genuinely get excited to learn more, & stay late to help out. I guess I’m just scared of taking the big leap since my heart is telling me Ophtho while rationality is pointing me to dual-apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally see where you're coming from. Of course you don't want to go unmatched. If there were two specialties you think you'd love to match into, then I think dual applying would certainly make sense. I think it would be a harder road to do another residency and then try and do ophthalmology later if you change your mind. I would say look at your options for a research year either with a mentor at your school or look into the various pre-residency fellowships (find a list of programs here: Pre-Residency Fellowship Programs, Nontraditional - U of U School of Medicine - | University of Utah). That could be your back-up plan. My impression is those who do programs like that have a solid chance at matching. You could dual apply the second go-around if you don't match the first time to ensure you'd only have one extra year.

Not to throw your advisor under the bus, but they want you to match. The school wants a high match rate. Honestly, I really do think you have a solid chance at matching. Yes, it may not be at a top program, but that's okay. The stats you see on SF Match are the mean, so there are students who match with lower stats. My vote would be to say go all in for ophthalmology, but I understand that life circumstances may make it tough to do another year of zero to minimal salary.

Reactions: 1 user