low step 1 score, competitive IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got below a 200 on step 1 and am wondering if I have a chance at a decent or competitive IM residency. by the way, i'm a US med student going to a US school. I'm hoping to do IM that then specialize afterwards. Thanks a ton. i'm in a bad mood from my low score, :( at least I passed though.

Members don't see this ad.

you need to take step 2 early (take it by end of august so you can get the results by early october) and rock it - like 230 or above, which is absolutely doable - if you really study/take kaplan or something you can do it. there is no magic to the boards, the more you study, the better you will do.

just remember if you want a cometitive residency you have to make it through the initial cut which is based on board scores. letters of recommendation and away rotations are also important.

Bun said:
I got below a 200 on step 1 and am wondering if I have a chance at a decent or competitive IM residency. by the way, i'm a US med student going to a US school. I'm hoping to do IM that then specialize afterwards. Thanks a ton. i'm in a bad mood from my low score, :( at least I passed though.