Low Step 1 Score. Pathology residency chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TypicalKaren

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a US-img that goes to one of the caribbean schools (not big 4) and I got 209 on my step 1 recently. I feel horrible as I was doing much better on the practice tests but what's done is done. I have not yet started clinicals and plan on doing electives in path as well as doing research in my core rotations. Is doing research in non-path rotations a positive? Do path PDs care about step 2 CK? Do I have a shot in this specialty? Path is literally the only specialty that interests me. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The newest Litmus test for procuring a pathology residency used by any 2nd or 3rd tier program is:

place a mirror 2-4 inches in front of unmasked candidate mouth / nose area

observe mirror - if any condensation or fogging occurs within 30 s they are suitable for path residency.

don’t worry you should be good

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Hello. I am a US-img that goes to one of the caribbean schools (not big 4) and I got 209 on my step 1 recently. I feel horrible as I was doing much better on the practice tests but what's done is done. I have not yet started clinicals and plan on doing electives in path as well as doing research in my core rotations. Is doing research in non-path rotations a positive? Do path PDs care about step 2 CK? Do I have a shot in this specialty? Path is literally the only specialty that interests me. Thank you.
I’ve seen people with scores in the 200s, so you are good as long as you are an air breathing life form.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG here. Wondering which ones are the big 4?

AUA, SGU and?

Go for it. Step 1 score is just one piece of information we look for in residents. Be able to show your grades in pathology, how you did in your clerkships, and articulate clearly why you want to go into pathology. You will find a position.

SGU, ROSS, AUC and Saba...

Been to Saba diving 9 times from ‘92-‘98. If you do not dive or hike (a lot) there would be nothing to do except study or drink. No beaches. I remember sitting with one of the head administrators there back then, Dr. John Buchanan (sp?)
having a couple at the “inn too deep” post diving. Old scot/ irish type guy. Kept begging me to give some lectures and send them my old books. That’s one of the “big four”

Been to Saba diving 9 times from ‘92-‘98. If you do not dive or hike (a lot) there would be nothing to do except study or drink. No beaches. I remember sitting with one of the head administrators there back then, Dr. John Buchanan (sp?)
having a couple at the “inn too deep” post diving. Old scot/ irish type guy. Kept begging me to give some lectures and send them my old books. That’s one of the “big four”
Yeah, things might change now but it was one of the BIG 4 when I was trying to get into med school (2013-2014). Lucky that I did not have to attend school outside of the US.