Low Step 1, would like some perspective for 2CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I would just like some advice moving forward, if at all possible.

Just to get it out of the way, I'm AMG and a native English speaker. I scored really low on my Step 1 last June - 207. There were several things wrong with the way I approached the test - I didn't take the study period seriously enough (took only one NBME and 1 UWSA, was barely finishing UWorld) and coasted through 1st and 2nd year.

Fast forward to this year, I've been trying hard to compensate for my Step 1 performance. Shelf exams were naturally difficult as I still had a pretty weak foundation - I scored in the low 70s for most of the exams. In terms of percentiles, I've scored two ~70s percentiles, one ~50 percentile, one ~40 percentile (medicine), and two ~20 percentile. It's fair to say it's pretty middle-of-the-road.

I've already finished UWorld once this year through studying for clerkships - now averaging exactly 60% on timed 20 question blocks by section (in the order I went through it this year).

I'm setting aside 8 weeks for Step 2CK, with a goal of improving my score by 40-50 points.

I'm using MTB, step 2 secrets, Step-Up (medicine+CK) and obviously going through UW again on timed random full blocks. +/- the Kaplan Qbank.

I have a few questions:
-Should I use the Kaplan Qbank?
-If you were me, how would you structure these 8 weeks to improve as much as possible? How should I use the 4 NBMEs+UWSA?

I'm really determined to make a comeback this time. I scored 36+ on the MCAT so I think I have what it takes to take a standardized exam, it's just being disciplined enough to assimilate all the material.

Suggestions really helpful - thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few questions:
-Should I use the Kaplan Qbank?
-If you were me, how would you structure these 8 weeks to improve as much as possible? How should I use the 4 NBMEs+UWSA

1) I would not recommend it unless you have gone through the UWorld QBank at least twice, if not three times. Once to go through it, a second to go through anything you missed or weren't sure on. Random at all times, reviewing each 40 Q block the same day.
2) Save UWSA for about a week prior. It seems to be pretty good at predicting scores.

MTB 2 is not enough for non-IM sections of CK. I honestly think you are using TOO many sources. I'd stick to MTB 2 + 3 (just non-IM parts), Step 2 secrets, and UWorld.

I think step up to medicine is a bit overkill, but if you really have time for it, go for it. Step up to step 2 is a waste after you do step up to medicine (unless it has a very good non-IM section).

i agree kaplan Q-bank is not necessary. Step-up is good for expanding your knowledge, not sure if it is the best choice 8 weeks before the real test.

I would really focus on UW, esp for the final four weeks. At the least: reset, full through on tutor mode, mark incorrects/guesses and do those a second time. If you savor UW, that'll probably take a month or so if not more.