Low Step I Score...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Wonderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...188 to be exact... lower tier US medical school...is there any hope of matching into ANY residency program? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was previously interested in Anesthesiology, but from what I understand this poor step I score might keep me from having that option. Now I am just worried about being able to get a job, period. :( Thanks for replying !

of course you will get a residency. thats just stupid to think you wont. ALL us med students should get one unless that aim too high on their applications. 188 isnt too bad, its a pass. you will be fine. just do well during 3rd and 4th year, try your best and everything will work out.

A poor step one score only makes things harder. You will be fine, match in anesthesia if that is still your choice as a 4th year, and probably match at one of your top choices (as long as it's not Harvard).

Work hard during your third year, get to know the chairman of anesthesia, LORs will help a lot. Might even be worthwhile to work on a case report or something within anesthesia.

Go talk to the PD at your institution and let him/her know that you are truly interested in anesthesia.

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=20049323