Low Tier School List Help

farnell

May 15, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

Was hoping I could get some feedback on the school list I've put together. My GPA is 3.49 (somewhat upward trend, deans list last two semesters but 3.5 in final semester), and I have yet to take the MCAT, but based on my practice scores, lets assume that I get a 30ish. I have solid research and volunteering experience. I understand that I am a pretty below average applicant, and keeping that in mind, does my list of schools seem appropriate? Again, I am not looking for reach schools here, I am interested in schools I might actually have a chance at and are also OOS friendly ( I am a PA resident,and I'm white).

Loyola U of Chicgo
    Univ of Illinois at Chicago
    Univ of Iowa
    Tulane
    Univ of Maryland
    Boston U
    Mich State
    Wayne St
    St Louis U
    University of Missouri - KC
    Creighton
    Albany
    Albert Einstein
    NY Medical college
    Wake Forest
    Toledo
    Commonwealth U
    Drexel
    Thomas Jefferson
    Penn State
    Temple
    Pitt
    East Tennessee State
    Univ of Utah
    U of Vermont
    Eastern Virginia
    Virginia commonwealth WVU

As you may notice, I prefer schools in the eastern US, if at all possible. Do any of these seem like reaches? Alternatively, have a left any lower tier schools off of this list that I might want to consider? I am considering DO schools, but would just like help with MD schools at the moment.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, long time lurker but first time poster!

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
    7+ Year Member
    May 15, 2011
    1. Attending Physician
      I don't have access to the MSAR anymore, but I think Pitt would be your only reach school based on GPA/MCAT. Some of the other schools might be very unfriendly towards OOS (WVU is one, Utah might be one). Also for Commonwealth, it helps immensely if you have ties to the Northeast PA region.

About the Ads

Mazdave

Feb 1, 2011
      1. Medical Student
        Hi everyone,

Was hoping I could get some feedback on the school list I've put together. My GPA is 3.49 (somewhat upward trend, deans list last two semesters but 3.5 in final semester), and I have yet to take the MCAT, but based on my practice scores, lets assume that I get a 30ish. I have solid research and volunteering experience. I understand that I am a pretty below average applicant, and keeping that in mind, does my list of schools seem appropriate? Again, I am not looking for reach schools here, I am interested in schools I might actually have a chance at and are also OOS friendly ( I am a PA resident,and I'm white).

Loyola U of Chicgo
        Univ of Illinois at Chicago - very high OOS tuition
        Univ of Iowa
        Tulane
        Univ of Maryland
        Boston U
        Mich State - very high OOS tuition
        Wayne St
        St Louis U
        - program is BS/MD only unless that's changed very recently
        Creighton
        Albany
        Albert Einstein - reach
        NY Medical college
        Wake Forest
        Toledo
        Commonwealth U
        Drexel
        Thomas Jefferson
        Penn State
        Temple
        Pitt - big reach
        East Tennessee State - few or no OOS
        Univ of Utah - no OOS unless URM
        U of Vermont
        Eastern Virginia
        Virginia commonwealth
        WVU - not OOS friendly

As you may notice, I prefer schools in the eastern US, if at all possible. Do any of these seem like reaches? Alternatively, have a left any lower tier schools off of this list that I might want to consider? I am considering DO schools, but would just like help with MD schools at the moment.

See notes on bolded schools. Overall your list is okay. Some of the schools for which you are OOS will be reaches just because they have higher standards for OOS applicants than IS, but none seem really out of place. Assuming average ECs, your GPA is in the territory where your MCAT score can make or break you.

tmax619

Jul 15, 2011
        San Diego
        1. Pre-Medical
          See notes on bolded schools. Overall your list is okay. Some of the schools for which you are OOS will be reaches just because they have higher standards for OOS applicants than IS, but none seem really out of place. Assuming average ECs, your GPA is in the territory where your MCAT score can make or break you.
          I second Mazdave's opinion. Further, I have been trying to narrow down schools myself and I think Wake Forest, Toledo, and maybe even Tulane are not very OOS friendly. You should really examine the MSAR closely to see if the schools that you're thinking of applying to are OOS friendly (maybe have a calculator handy).

See if the career or student services center at your school (or other PA schools) has medical school admissions data for it's students. I went to UCSD, which does provide data on how it's students fared in applying to different schools. This, in conjunction with the MSAR, allowed me to narrow down to the schools that I may have a good shot at based on my stats and residency status.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          May 27, 2011
          1. Medical Student
            Hi everyone,

Loyola U of Chicgo
            Univ of Illinois at Chicago
            Univ of Iowa
            Tulane
            Univ of Maryland
            Boston U
            Mich State
            Wayne St
            St Louis U
            Creighton
            Albany
            Albert Einstein
            NY Medical college
            Wake Forest
            Toledo
            Commonwealth U
            Drexel
            Thomas Jefferson
            Penn State
            Temple
            Pitt
            East Tennessee State
            Univ of Utah
            U of Vermont
            Eastern Virginia
            Virginia commonwealth WVU

Boston U, Albert Einstein, University of Maryland are not that low tiers.
            http://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/downloads/gpamcat.pdf

Last edited:

Mazdave

Feb 1, 2011
            1. Medical Student
              I second Mazdave's opinion. Further, I have been trying to narrow down schools myself and I think Wake Forest, Toledo, and maybe even Tulane are not very OOS friendly. You should really examine the MSAR closely to see if the schools that you're thinking of applying to are OOS friendly (maybe have a calculator handy).

See if the career or student services center at your school (or other PA schools) has medical school admissions data for it's students. I went to UCSD, which does provide data on how it's students fared in applying to different schools. This, in conjunction with the MSAR, allowed me to narrow down to the schools that I may have a good shot at based on my stats and residency status.

Wake and Tulane are private, so they have no state preference. They both just receive a pretty large number of apps and interview a pretty small number (Tulane in particular). Toledo's class is about 1/3 OOS, which is actually pretty good for a state school. Catalystik uses 15% as a cutoff for OOS-friendly.

farnell

May 15, 2012
              1. Pre-Medical

This helps a lot. I have a copy of the MSAR so I will definitely double check these, especially the ones you pointed out. I figured that a handful of these might not be good schools for me, but can anyone think of some others I may want to consider?

farnell

May 15, 2012
                1. Pre-Medical
                  Wake and Tulane are private, so they have no state preference. They both just receive a pretty large number of apps and interview a pretty small number (Tulane in particular). Toledo's class is about 1/3 OOS, which is actually pretty good for a state school. Catalystik uses 15% as a cutoff for OOS-friendly.

Yeah, I seemed to pick that up from the MSAR as well, so that was my reasoning there.

S198

Feb 18, 2013
                    There are some pretty good schools on that list. Drexel is noteworthy because a friend of mine from UC Berkeley who majored in psychology and was a wonderful student is now attending that one. I think Temple is well known, Wayne St. is reputable (I knew someone from Cal going there), and well, all med schools are competitive.

S

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.