low uGPA, good gGPA, high (3rd) MCAT, help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA, ORM
~3.2 cGPA, sGPA
~3.7 gGPA from a well-known SMP
old (2014) MCATs: 30, 32
new (june 2017) MCAT: 521

applied last year to about 29 schools, only interviewed at SMP school, no dice.

clinical/volunteering/research is all fine

during my application cycle last year I worked in clinical/translational research at a big name hospital where I help draft a grant proposal and IRB protocols. still working there for the next 6 months. no pubs so far but have my name on a manuscript that was published as a conference proceeding (has a DOI number but not indexed in PubMed...)

my stats are all over the place, so hoping to get some input on where to send apps

Members don't see this ad.

Did you contact any of the schools you applied to ask why you didn't get an II? I would just pick out your targets schools and ask them. I have done this and it worked well for me.

I did not- is it too late to now? I've already started reapplying and have submitted secondaries/am complete to about 16 schools so far.

I did reach out to the dean of one school I didn't get into last year, but didn't hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have so far completed the following applications (* means I submitted a secondary to this school last year):

BU*
Dartmouth*
Einstein*
UCSD*
Geisinger Commonwealth
GWU*
Georgetown*
SKMC*
Downstate*
Rochester*
SLU
Drexel*
NYMC*
Oakland*
RFU*
Tufts*
VCU*
Wayne*

I have yet to do the following:

USC
MCW
Oregon
Ohio State
Penn State
Pitt
Toledo
UCinn
U Wisc
Albany
EVMS
Quinnipiac
Vermont
VTC*
Wake forest*
WMed*

Thank you (Dr.) Faha, I'll look into those.

What do you think about adding some of the following mid/upper tier schools: Hofstra, Case Western, Miami, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Mayo (AZ and MN)?

Edit: Should I also apply DO?

Dang, we both have very similar stats! I also did not have luck last year and applying again with a new MCAT and research

I would definitely apply DO schools such as Western, KCU, PCOM, AT Still, Midwestern AZ and IL

Thank you (Dr.) Faha, I'll look into those.

What do you think about adding some of the following mid/upper tier schools: Hofstra, Case Western, Miami, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Mayo (AZ and MN)?

Edit: Should I also apply DO?

Yes, add DO for Touro CA and AZCOM.

Also add UC Davis.

You should update by email all the schools your new MCAT score and ask them how can you improve.

Just wondering, did you already finish your SMP when you applied last time? Or were you still taking the SMP classes?

Yes, I had finished my SMP courses. I was in my second year working on my graduate thesis and working full-time in research.

I thought I did everything right, but alas. Perhaps part of the result was that I was complete relatively late (mid-Aug through early Sept). Maybe my essays sucked too.

Also add UC Davis.

You should update by email all the schools your new MCAT score and ask them how can you improve.
Davis rarely considers OOS applicants.
The new MCAT automatically populates into the AMCAS application.

Davis rarely considers OOS applicants.

I am a CA resident. Do you still have reservations against adding Davis?

Also hoping for more opinions on whether I should apply DO. It will be a long process and will detract from my MD/job apps...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a CA resident. Do you still have reservations against adding Davis?

Also hoping for more opinions on whether I should apply DO. It will be a long process and will detract from my MD/job apps...
Add UCSF and all other CA schools, BU, Case, Columbia, Mayo, U Miami, Pitt, Tufts, Vandy, U AZ
Northwestern OR NYU OR WashU OR U Penn

A 521 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.

Forget:
Oregon
Ohio State
Penn State
UCinn
U Wisc
WMed*

Add UCSF and all other CA schools, BU, Case, Columbia, Mayo, U Miami, Pitt, Tufts, Vandy, U AZ
Northwestern OR NYU OR WashU OR U Penn

A 521 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.

Forget:
Oregon
Ohio State
Penn State
UCinn
U Wisc
WMed*

Appreciate the encouraging feedback but some of those (Columbia, Mayo (their median MCAT is only 513?), Vandy, all of the ones in your OR category) seem a little ambitious with my uGPA.

Could you comment on why to remove those somewhat OOS-friendly, 'mid-tier' state schools? They seem more reachable than the above

Appreciate the encouraging feedback but some of those (Columbia, Mayo (their median MCAT is only 513?), Vandy, all of the ones in your OR category) seem a little ambitious with my uGPA.

Could you comment on why to remove those somewhat OOS-friendly, 'mid-tier' state schools? They seem more reachable than the above
I recommended those schools as they have rewarded SDNers who reinvented themselves.

I don't any any data that OOS public schools do so. Wayne State, maybe, but I'd limit it to people from around the Great Lakes.

ORH&S highly favors IS. "But, but they admit OOS people!" You say? When you see state schools do this, it's because those people fulfill the school's mission, or have honest-to-God ties to the state.

I can't recommend Penn State for reasons I've posted elsewhere.

Make sure you apply both Oregon and Washington DO schools. They do prefer CA students because its a neighboring. PNWU takes many students from CA. Lot of people from here will suggest you not to, also apply both Western CA and OR.
You must apply UC Davis.

Another question - is it worth it to sign up for undergraduate classes at a University Extension right now and update schools with my grades this winter etc? Or too little too late? Obviously I would not be able to list this as future coursework on my AMCAS as I've already submitted it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought I’d update this in case it helps people.

I received 5 interview invitations- 4 MD and 1 MD/PhD

Rejected from 1 MD post interview

Waitlisted at remaining 4

1 month ago accepted off the waitlist at the MD/PhD

Yesterday accepted off the waitlist at an MD

Thanks all/SDN for the very helpful information. The road to salvaging a low gpa is long and expensive but at least there exists one. SDN helped me find mine.

Reactions: 9 users
Thought I’d update this in case it helps people.

I received 5 interview invitations- 4 MD and 1 MD/PhD

Rejected from 1 MD post interview

Waitlisted at remaining 4

1 month ago accepted off the waitlist at the MD/PhD

Yesterday accepted off the waitlist at an MD

Thanks all/SDN for the very helpful information. The road to salvaging a low gpa is long and expensive but at least there exists one. SDN helped me find mine.

Which will you be attending

Congrats! Also curious to know which you will be attending!

Was a tough decision but went with the MD/PhD. Hope it was the right one!

That's great to hear, at which school if I may ask? You can PM me if needed. Thanks and good luck to you!

Last edited:
Was a tough decision but went with the MD/PhD. Hope it was the right one!
Hi! I have similar stats as you- slightly lower sGPA with a 3.9 graduate GPA from an Ivy league school (also Ivy league undergrad). Was just accepted to a well known SMP that offers guaranteed interview at their school...debating whether to attend this program or a different postbac that counts toward uGPA (not a Masters) OR continue research/working (I have spent the last year doing bench research and anticipate a publication). Any advice appreciated thanks!

Hi! I have similar stats as you- slightly lower sGPA with a 3.9 graduate GPA from an Ivy league school (also Ivy league undergrad). Was just accepted to a well known SMP that offers guaranteed interview at their school...debating whether to attend this program or a different postbac that counts toward uGPA (not a Masters) OR continue research/working (I have spent the last year doing bench research and anticipate a publication). Any advice appreciated thanks!

What was your MCAT? Similar stats as his MCAT, around 521? If so, definitely recommend doing the latter, continue research/working and working on that publication with possible volunteer/shadowing if that is an area that needs improvement. Absolutely no reason for an SMP (i.e., very expensive) if your stats are anywhere near his, especially given the fact that you went to an Ivy League for undergrad/grad and have already completed grad studies with a 3.9 (as long as its in a science related field).

Lazy day so decided to stroll onto SDN and throw some encouragement. Stay strong, reinventors/reapplicants. I feel that my gap years helped me with resilience, taking things in stride, and incorporating feedback. I'd also mention that the research experience helped me hit the ground running when navigating research projects during medical school. Would recommend if feasible. M3 now, top quartile of class, 260s on step 1, no ragrets so far.

Reactions: 6 users