Low uGPA, good postbac/GRE SMP acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitruviano

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody - I've been reading about the steps needed for those those of us with low uGPA's (s/o's to @Goro. You've seriously been very helpful and I appreciate your posts)
My UG cGPA is 2.96, UG sGPA is 2.64, postbacc GPA is 3.6 (four science courses), and GRE score 320 (164 Verbal and 155 Quant). I think SMP would be my best last resort route, but I was wondering if I should use this GRE score and apply this upcoming cycle or wait for next year and study for the MCAT. Some advice would be very appreciated!

P.S. I have been looking so far at Rutgers 1 year MBS, NYMC's 2 year MBS, Mount Sinai's MSBS. Does anyone have familiarity/success with these? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably find better info on the postbac forum. There are some topics on a few of those programs if you do a brief search.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to a 1 year program last year with similar GRE scores and a worse UG GPA. Got a high 3.X in my program, had a good experience, and my only regret is that I wish I had spent more time studying for the MCAT but got a good enough score on that to apply/get II's/get accepted.

Are you asking if you should do another gap year of coursework or if you should just study for the MCAT and apply?

Congrats! was it a smp where you take med school classes or a 1 yr masters program?

I did a 1 year MS program but I really think it didn't matter in my case. I just made sure to spend that year filling in anything I perceived to be a hole (grades, ECs) on my app as best I could.

Reactions: 1 user