• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

himikie

Jun 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
I graduated with a low gpa of 2.95 (BS in engineering) at a 4 year private university last year. I did poorly in all of my science classes with mostly Cs and a few Bs (no excuses for my bad grade. I don’t think I was ready for the rigor of a college level course in my first 2 years of college and I also got a D on one of my engineering courses.) Right after graduation, I retook all of the prerequisite science classes (21 credits) at a CC within a year and got all As in them, and I plan to take the MCAT next month. In my practice exams, my average scores are around 515. For other experiences, I have experience working at a biomedical engineering professor’s lab during my undergrad, and have worked as an ED tech for 6 months. Currently, I have an engineering consulting job.
I want to get your opinions on whether I have a chance for acceptance for the next application cycle for MD or DO. I was planning to apply to an SMP when my MCAT scores are released (hoping/assuming that I do about the same as my practice exams), but want to know if my DIY grade enhancers at CC would be sufficient. I don’t know if it is even worth it to try applying for the next application cycle. I know that doing an SMP will increases my chances by a lot but my only concern is the cost.
Any advice would be appreciated! Also any recommendations for other extra curriculars/clinical experiences as I wait to apply for SMP (or medical school)?

akg0119

Apr 29, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@himikie if you would want to enter a SMP this fall (2020), APPLY NOW! There are still a few places that are accepting applications (potentially until July 1? unsure), and many of them do not require an exam score. If you wait for your MCAT to come back in August, you will probably be too late to enter this September.

Otherwise, the wise @gonnif usually advises to wait to apply to medical schools until after you complete your SMP. So if you entered the SMP in Fall 2021, you would wait to apply to med schools until May 2022. That way, you have your SMP grades and the strongest possible application going in to the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
You're in good position if you don't rush things. Do the SMP, and let the MCAT wash away all your academic sins. Your roll in with a score in the high 510s and a strong SMP performance and you'll get people to bite. Engineering is hard and known hard.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

himikie

Jun 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
What are you cGPA and sGPA including your CC courses ?
Thank you for your reply! I am new to SDN so I didn't know that anyone replied back.
My cGPA is 3.20 and sGPA is 3.03 including my CC courses.

himikie

Jun 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
@himikie if you would want to enter a SMP this fall (2020), APPLY NOW! There are still a few places that are accepting applications (potentially until July 1? unsure), and many of them do not require an exam score. If you wait for your MCAT to come back in August, you will probably be too late to enter this September.

Otherwise, the wise @gonnif usually advises to wait to apply to medical schools until after you complete your SMP. So if you entered the SMP in Fall 2021, you would wait to apply to med schools until May 2022. That way, you have your SMP grades and the strongest possible application going in to the cycle.

Thank you for your reply and advice. I really appreciate it!
I was planning to enter the SMP in Fall 2021, and wanted to get more clinical experience/volunteering until I wait to apply for the SMP.

himikie

Jun 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
You're in good position if you don't rush things. Do the SMP, and let the MCAT wash away all your academic sins. Your roll in with a score in the high 510s and a strong SMP performance and you'll get people to bite. Engineering is hard and known hard.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thank you! You just gave me so much hope! :biglove: Hopefully my MCAT goes well!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank you for your reply! I am new to SDN so I didn't know that anyone replied back.
My cGPA is 3.20 and sGPA is 3.03 including my CC courses.
As long as you score over 500 in the MCAT you could receive DO interviews. If you do well in the SMP and score over 513 you could receive MD interviews.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.