Low undergrad GPA what r my chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thealchemist82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with an Industrial engineering degree, with a horrible GPA of 2.33 overall. I started off as a chemical engineer had some problems so I switched to industrial engineering. Working two jobs and full time classes in order to support my younger siblings killed my grades, a 2.0 GPA at the end of the term was good enough for me. After graduation worked as an Engineer but hated it. I am 26 and started my Ms in Bio-medical engineering, With 4.0 GPA after the first semester and I am studying to take the MCAT in July.

Question: What are my chances of getting into medical school? Will doing an Ms in Bio-medical engineering improve my chances or should I do a post-Bac? What do I need to do in order to improve my chances of getting into med school?? My pre-medical science grades were not too bad:

Calc 1=4.0
cals 2=3.5
calc 3=3.0
Engineering Physics 1=3.5
Engineering Physics 2=4.0
General chem1=3.5
Lab=3.0
General chem2=4.0
lab=4.0
O-chem 1=4.0
O-chem 2=3.5
Cell Bio=3.5
Human anatomy=4.0
Engineering Physiology=3.5

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well getting your current grades up is a great start. When the committee looks at your grades they are going to put more emphasis on your most current grades than they will on your past grades. Your current grades seem to be a bit over 3.6 which is pretty close to the average. I don't think getting a Masters is going to matter that much in getting accepted.

Personally, doing a Post-Bac is going to be cheaper than going to get a graduate degree and if you plan on going to med school you are going to want to save as much money as possible. Getting 4.0's in a Post-Bac is going to give you a better chance of getting into med school than getting 3.5's or below in grad school and it will cost you less. I would focus on a Post-Bac. This of course depends on how determined you are to get into med school. If you would be happy doing Bio-Engineering, maybe you should consider that instead of medicine. Also, you should be doing some sort of research or volunteer work to increase your chances of acceptance. This is pretty much expected anymore.

Also, how long have you been considering medicine? If you would be happy doing Bio-Engineering, that may be a better route. If you are really, really sure that medicine is right for you then go for it, just make sure that you have researched med school and the actual practice of medicine before you take the plunge in this. It is a long, expensive, life sucking journey.

Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck. :)

Last edited:
I have to agree with Malikite on this, if you think you could be happy doing biomedical engineering you should really consider sticking with it. If you're crazy (like alot of us on these boards) and have decided that medicine is for you, it will be a long, expensive road.

For starters, you HAVE to get your undergrad GPA up with post-bacc classes. With a 2.33 it is going to be difficult to get it even to a 3.0, and that is still extremely low for MD schools. Expect to take at least 2 years of post-bacc classes while you volunteer, shadow, and study for the MCAT. DO schools are more forgiving and will replace your old grades so you will be able to get a higher GPA and better chance of success with them.

The general consensus here is that graduate grades do not count as much as one would hope although i have heard stories of ppl wth low gpas getting in with great grad grades - but none with as low a gpa as yours (sorry).

Either way, if it is something you want, you can do it. Just expect to put alot of time and money into it and know that your chances will still be lower than most. I wish you the best of luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
.I have made up my mind about medicine no turning back, and i am ready to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. I have started studding religiously for the MCAT in July of 09, I talk to medical school admission committee here at my current university they assured me that if a complete 20hours in graduate science classes( Bio-medical engineering or other sciences) that GPA will be use to rate the applicant. I choose to do a MS in Bio-medical engineering because of how closely related it is to medicine. Some of the classes are taught by MDs also i get a chance to take classes with medical student as technical electives depending on what specialty i choose.

I just don’t want to apply to my current school, I wonder if other medical schools will look at my Bio-medical engineering classes. I am counting on scoring extremely well on my MCAT (at-least a 37) and excellent grades from Ms in BME.

Thank you Malikite and Lainey 234 for your supportive advice. I won't stop until I get in .

Unfortunately, a 2.33 GPA is pretty much auto-rejection everywhere, regardless of any master's work. You need to switch to an informal post-bacc and take undergraduate classes or even pursue a second degree to pull the undergrad GPA up to 3.0. At that point, you will be looked at. It really is difficult for non-trads with past poor performance; they have to stand up to 3.8 biology majors fresh from undergrad.

.I have made up my mind about medicine no turning back, and i am ready to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. I have started studding religiously for the MCAT in July of 09, I talk to medical school admission committee here at my current university they assured me that if a complete 20hours in graduate science classes( Bio-medical engineering or other sciences) that GPA will be use to rate the applicant. I choose to do a MS in Bio-medical engineering because of how closely related it is to medicine. Some of the classes are taught by MDs also i get a chance to take classes with medical student as technical electives depending on what specialty i choose. .

.I just don’t want to apply to my current school, I wonder if other medical schools will look at my Bio-medical engineering classes. I am counting on scoring extremely well on my MCAT (at-least a 37) and excellent grades from Ms in BME..

.Thank you Malikite and Lainey 234 for your supportive advice. I won't stop until I get in .

I hope you ace the MCAT. Even if you don't apply anyway. You never know until you try. You might want to look into DO schools as well if you are interested in osteopathic medicine. Good Luck. I sympathize with you. I am 27 completing a graduate degree and trying to get into med school Good Luck to both of us.