Low USW1/2 scores vs Decent UW qBank scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillipJFry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling with the USW1/2 practice tests. I find them much more difficult compared to the qbank. My USW1/2 are 200-230 with USW1 being higher by almost 20 points. My qbank questions I consistently score 70-80% with a few 60% when I cant concentrate/am tired. I plan to take the NBME 7 and Free 120 tests and see how I do. Do you guys have any advice for tackling the full-length exams passages and questions? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your UWorld Q bank percentages are not a good indicator of how well you are going to score on the actual exam. Practice tests are the best predictors. Remember, going through UWorld questions at home (especially when they are in untimed, tutor mode) is very different from taking a timed practice test where you are feeling rushed and stressed out about the score you're going to get on it. My advice is to take as many practice tests as possible. The more you do, the better you will be at taking NBME-style questions under pressure, and the better you will do on your actual exam. Also, make sure you are effectively reviewing all of your practice tests. You should be referring to FA with every single question you come across.
Good luck!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

I am struggling with the USW1/2 practice tests. I find them much more difficult compared to the qbank. My USW1/2 are 200-230 with USW1 being higher by almost 20 points. My qbank questions I consistently score 70-80% with a few 60% when I cant concentrate/am tired. I plan to take the NBME 7 and Free 120 tests and see how I do. Do you guys have any advice for tackling the full-length exams passages and questions? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I agree with the other poster.. my UWSA2 was on point for Step 1 and off by like 10 pts for Step 2, but it's pretty accurate for most for Step 2. UW Q banks are not indicative of how you'll do, it's just a learning resource.
If your UWSA2 is not good I strongly encourage you to delay and take UWSA2 again until you're where you want to be Step score wise.

Average of NBME 18 and UWSA2 is gold standard predictor

NBME's always underpredicted me by quite a bit. Both UWSA's overpredicted me by quite a bit.