Low verbal and low GPA, does this warrant a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichimaru

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fall score was a 7V 11P 12B for 30M. I had been getting consistent 10's on my practice tests, and I got a 9 on the Fall 2005 MCAT. I'm sure I could have done better than a 7 if I had timed myself better that day (I got caught up for 20 minutes on a passage about Sir Drake, foolish I know :(). My overall gpa is a 3.4, with a 3.3 science, so I was hoping for a stronger MCAT score (33+) to balance that out. Do Texas schools take the best scores from each administration? If not, are there any schools that do?

My main question is this: is the verbal score so important that it's worth retaking the MCAT at the risk of getting lower science scores? The 11 matched my highest PS score on practice exams, and 12 was the highest I've ever scored on BS. There is definitely room for me to improve though, as my knowledge of OChem was very limited (I literally didn't know any reactions, just the basics). I am also taking upper division courses that are pretty relevant to the MCAT.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've been in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

You should definately apply - a 30 is a solid score. If you don't get in this cycle, ask to find out why - if they mention your MCAT, which I doubt they will - then rewrite.

I really don't think you should have to though - that's a great score.

Good luck.

Hi,

I got a 30M this August with a 12P, 10B, and 8V. But my verbal score from my last taking was a 10.
I know that some schools like Tufts actually come out and say that they take the best score from each section,which would give me a 32; and Id guess a lot of medical schools will at least kind of look at it as if I have a 32, since they see that I am capable of a 10 in verbal.
For my own purposes, Im considering my score a 32!

Congrats! =] Good luck with applications.