1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Low verbal... but Immigrant, help

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by BigRedStress, Jun 15, 2002.

1. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black
    7+ Year Member

So although I do speak english now as my primary language, it was not my first language, and therefore I had a language barrier when I first came here from India many years ago. I scored an 8, 11, Q, 11 on the recent MCATs. I am wondering how do I get this across to ADCOMs. My interviewer for the premed committee at cornell wrote in his letter that I did grow up in a bilingual house. Is this enough or should I mention it on my AMCAS or on Secondary apps anywhere? or leave it alone?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

I do not think that you will have any problems with an 8 on VR.

4. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you should mention it in your secondaries. Overcoming a language barrier and adapting to a 2nd language is a great accomplishment that speaks to your commitment. It will also help excuse you from any linguistic mistakes you might inadvertently make in your essays/interviews, and give the adcomm something to ask you about in interviews.

5. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cydney Foote:
    <strong>I think you should mention it in your secondaries. Overcoming a language barrier and adapting to a 2nd language is a great accomplishment that speaks to your commitment. It will also help excuse you from any linguistic mistakes you might inadvertently make in your essays/interviews, and give the adcomm something to ask you about in interviews.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">agreed. and possibly in your personal statement as well.

6. jot

jot

again, i don't think adcoms could careless about that. if you sound like a fob you are screwed in my opinion. if you don't, it doesn't sound compelling. catch-22. you can pm me if you want to find out why. goodluck though.
    -jot

7. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't see a problem with the 8VR if you designate English as your secondary language on AMCAS. They ask what your primariy language is, and by primariy, you can interpret that as the first language you ever learned, and the language primarily spoken at home, eventhough Enlish is your main language now.

8. Oreo

Oreo Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am an immigrant as well. However, I scored a 6 on the verbal with high science scores (&gt;11). I have a solid GPA. Where should I apply to? I am CA resident.

9. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Oreo:
    <strong>I am an immigrant as well. However, I scored a 6 on the verbal with high science scores (&gt;11). I have a solid GPA. Where should I apply to? I am CA resident.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard UCSF is good at recruiting ethnically diverse students (50% ethnic minority). Also, it's a state school for you. Also, if you evince an honest desire to do research, this might fit with lower verbal but higher science mcat. there are likely other schools like this.

Of course, UCSF is hella hard to get into, like many cali schools.