Low verbal... but Immigrant, help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedStress

AMEX Black
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So although I do speak english now as my primary language, it was not my first language, and therefore I had a language barrier when I first came here from India many years ago. I scored an 8, 11, Q, 11 on the recent MCATs. I am wondering how do I get this across to ADCOMs. My interviewer for the premed committee at cornell wrote in his letter that I did grow up in a bilingual house. Is this enough or should I mention it on my AMCAS or on Secondary apps anywhere? or leave it alone?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should mention it in your secondaries. Overcoming a language barrier and adapting to a 2nd language is a great accomplishment that speaks to your commitment. It will also help excuse you from any linguistic mistakes you might inadvertently make in your essays/interviews, and give the adcomm something to ask you about in interviews.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cydney Foote:
•I think you should mention it in your secondaries. Overcoming a language barrier and adapting to a 2nd language is a great accomplishment that speaks to your commitment. It will also help excuse you from any linguistic mistakes you might inadvertently make in your essays/interviews, and give the adcomm something to ask you about in interviews.•••••agreed. and possibly in your personal statement as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
again, i don't think adcoms could careless about that. if you sound like a fob you are screwed in my opinion. if you don't, it doesn't sound compelling. catch-22. you can pm me if you want to find out why. goodluck though.
-jot

I don't see a problem with the 8VR if you designate English as your secondary language on AMCAS. They ask what your primariy language is, and by primariy, you can interpret that as the first language you ever learned, and the language primarily spoken at home, eventhough Enlish is your main language now.

I am an immigrant as well. However, I scored a 6 on the verbal with high science scores (>11). I have a solid GPA. Where should I apply to? I am CA resident.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Oreo:
•I am an immigrant as well. However, I scored a 6 on the verbal with high science scores (>11). I have a solid GPA. Where should I apply to? I am CA resident.•••••I've heard UCSF is good at recruiting ethnically diverse students (50% ethnic minority). Also, it's a state school for you. Also, if you evince an honest desire to do research, this might fit with lower verbal but higher science mcat. there are likely other schools like this.

Of course, UCSF is hella hard to get into, like many cali schools.