Lower division classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad if a upper classmen (junior or senior) is taking lower division classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Will amcas and admission's committes look at this adversly?

I absolutely do not think it will harm you if you take only a couple. I took Intro to Ethics (Philos 4) and African American I, II, and III as a junior/senior. No problems here. If you are interested in something, take it. Who cares if it is lower division. If you take all of the upper division classes required to graduate, then indulge in whatever you enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you are a bio major and u take lower div bio courses?

I m a mcb major with emphasis in neurobio, but i took a lower division immunology course bc i had never learnt any immunology. A friend of mine said that it looks bad for a jr to take a lower div class. Is he correct?

I don't think there is any basis to that. If a course is in your major and it counts towards graduation requirements, I don't see how it can be considered bad to take it. I'm sure your major requires a certain number of hours in courses above a certain level and as long as you do that you are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

willthatsall said:
I don't think there is any basis to that. If a course is in your major and it counts towards graduation requirements, I don't see how it can be considered bad to take it. I'm sure your major requires a certain number of hours in courses above a certain level and as long as you do that you are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

It doesn't really count towards anything, I am just takign it out of interest.

NRAI2001 said:
I m a mcb major with emphasis in neurobio, but i took a lower division immunology course bc i had never learnt any immunology. A friend of mine said that it looks bad for a jr to take a lower div class. Is he correct?

I don't think it matters at all. As a Bio major (neurobio, to be exact), I have many friends who are taking "lower division" classes like aids fundamentals, reproduction and development, biomedical ethics, while juniors/seniors. Why? Because they are interested in the subject. It would be foolish to jump into an immunology class w/o SOME background. You could potentially do harm to your self. When asked why you took a lower division immuno class, answer honestly: "bc i had never learnt any immunology" and wanted to expand your breath of knowledge of the biological sciences. If you have other upper division classes under your belt, it's no problem!

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe your friend is just trying to worry you. I'm not sure if your "friend" is like this, but I hate it when people try to bring you down by making remarks about how certain stuff will look bad on an application. Either way, think about how minute of a detail that class will be in the grand scheme of your application to med school. There are too many other things to worry about to take time to worry about that.

willthatsall said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe your friend is just trying to worry you. I'm not sure if your "friend" is like this, but I hate it when people try to bring you down by making remarks about how certain stuff will look bad on an application. Either way, think about how minute of a detail that class will be in the grand scheme of your application to med school. There are too many other things to worry about to take time to worry about that.

Yea thats true.

MCB 50 is an awesome class, how did your posters go? Dr. Beatty is a good professor.

AlreadyInDebt said:
I don't think it matters at all. As a Bio major (neurobio, to be exact), I have many friends who are taking "lower division" classes like aids fundamentals, reproduction and development, biomedical ethics, while juniors/seniors. Why? Because they are interested in the subject. It would be foolish to jump into an immunology class w/o SOME background. You could potentially do harm to your self. When asked why you took a lower division immuno class, answer honestly: "bc i had never learnt any immunology" and wanted to expand your breath of knowledge of the biological sciences. If you have other upper division classes under your belt, it's no problem!

Yea I do have a lot of upper div classes.

Pinkertinkle said:
MCB 50 is an awesome class, how did your posters go? Dr. Beatty is a good professor.

My poster is due next week on friday. Beatty is an awesome professor, I think I might take his upper div immuno course also.

Lower div classes can oftentimes be harder than upper div classes because you may have had no previous experience with the course material and you may be graded on a 10-15% A curve.

frick said:
Lower div classes can oftentimes be harder than upper div classes because you may have had no previous experience with the course material and you may be graded on a 10-15% A curve.

Yea this class isn't exactly an easy A, and he said hes gonna curve it so that 10-15% get an A

i have heard good things about that class from my friends that are at cal right now. they are trying to see if they can take it before they graduate.

but yeah for your original question...your friend is just prolly taking something he heard offhand and making it sound all official and instill unnecessary fear. you are going to be fine...especially if its just for the pursuit of knowledge!

go bears! damn i miss cal.

Yea its a great class.