lower division courses due to availability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate your clarification in regards to an issue that I am having.

Specifically, as I am enrolled in classes this semester ( i am applying next june after a long delay), unfortunately, I have been made aware that many of the upper division molecular biology classes that I want to take are closed.

I am currently registered for Biophysics, an advanced evolution class, and an ethics course. as I was told that I need to register for a certain number of credits for financial aid, I have to take one more class. I have been made aware that the only class that is available is a lower division biology class ( bio 100: human biology).

As the material for this course goes into material not traditionally covered in a bio class ( the ethics of research/irb, etc), I feel inclined to take this course.

However, i have been told that taking lower division courses after taking upper division courses is frowned upon by admissions.

I would like to know if this is particularly true in my case ( since there are no other upper division science classes available besides biophysics which i am currently registered for) and whether I should not regsiter for this course or if it is okay.

your clarification would be truly appreciated as I really want to make my application as competitive as possible ( I have a lower gpa--3.4-3.5 and a high mcat: 40 and want to raise my gpa a little more to be very competitive stats wise).

Your clarification would be truly appreciated. Thank you.
@gyngyn, @Goro, @Catalystik, @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in it, take it. Just do well.

I would really appreciate your clarification in regards to an issue that I am having.

Specifically, as I am enrolled in classes this semester ( i am applying next june after a long delay), unfortunately, I have been made aware that many of the upper division molecular biology classes that I want to take are closed.

I am currently registered for Biophysics, an advanced evolution class, and an ethics course. as I was told that I need to register for a certain number of credits for financial aid, I have to take one more class. I have been made aware that the only class that is available is a lower division biology class ( bio 100: human biology).

As the material for this course goes into material not traditionally covered in a bio class ( the ethics of research/irb, etc), I feel inclined to take this course.

However, i have been told that taking lower division courses after taking upper division courses is frowned upon by admissions.

I would like to know if this is particularly true in my case ( since there are no other upper division science classes available besides biophysics which i am currently registered for) and whether I should not regsiter for this course or if it is okay.

your clarification would be truly appreciated as I really want to make my application as competitive as possible ( I have a lower gpa--3.4-3.5 and a high mcat: 40 and want to raise my gpa a little more to be very competitive stats wise).

On the other hand, taking Bio 101 which sounds like a course for non-majors gives the appearance of a fluff course being taken to improve one's GPA (which the OP admits is part of the motivation).

Have you taken statistics? That counts in BCPM and will be beneficial in med school as well. Sociology, psychology, or any of those other behavioral sciences are being considered important, too.

Fact is, if you have a bachelor's degree and are taking an extra 12-16 credits, a class will contribute very little to your GPA although it can show a good upward trend.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Food for thought: As LizzyM said psychology classes are being recognized as important and an ADCOM isn't going to look at a psych class and instantly think "Fluff class!" like they would with a super basic intro class for non-science majors.

So taking intro to psych could be a good call. As could intro to sociology. If you've already taken intro to psych here's something to consider; there are a number of upper level psych classes you could take with a science component that you could only need intro psych as a pre-req for. If you have taken intro to psych there are many psychology classes with a science component you could consider "Clinical psychology" "Biopsychology" "Sensation and Perception" "Cognitive Development" as a few of many examples. And here's the key; many times from what many have reported on here and from people I know's experience when you enter these courses into AAMAS when you apply often times if you list these as science courses for your science GPA you can get away with it and AAMAS won't correct it. So this is a good way to boost your science GPA if bio classes are full. The difficulty in these classes will vary, and its not true upper level psych classes are just some joke blow off A classes, but many from my experience and many I know found that upper level psych classes were easier than upper level bio classes with bio majors to compete for grades with. Like I said, food for thought.

Reactions: 2 users
Goro: I am definitely interested in the material as it covers stuff that was not covered in a traditional biology class.

LizzyM: I was honestly willing to take a harder upper division course over this ( along with Biophysics). It unfortunately just so happens that this is the only course thats open. Other courses such as upper division courses ( psychology, etc) are closed; regrettably, as I am a non-degree, i get last preference to take courses and am currently taking these courses at a large public where the competition to take these courses is heavy.

grapesofrath: i appreciate your help! unfortunately, i was a psychology major in college and have taken many of the bio based psych courses. I have also taken other sociology classes as well. in addition, these classes are closed at my school as of now as they are required courses :/

to all: Do you think it would be wiser to just drop the course rather than take it for an easy A? my other classes are upper division classes ( including biophysics) and I was honestly hoping to take another upper division course. @LizzyM ,@GrapesofRath , @Goro?

Goro: I am definitely interested in the material as it covers stuff that was not covered in a traditional biology class.

LizzyM: I was honestly willing to take a harder upper division course over this ( along with Biophysics). It unfortunately just so happens that this is the only course thats open. Other courses such as upper division courses ( psychology, etc) are closed; regrettably, as I am a non-degree, i get last preference to take courses and am currently taking these courses at a large public where the competition to take these courses is heavy.

grapesofrath: i appreciate your help! unfortunately, i was a psychology major in college and have taken many of the bio based psych courses. I have also taken other sociology classes as well. in addition, these classes are closed at my school as of now as they are required courses :/

to all: Do you think it would be wiser to just drop the course rather than take it for an easy A? my other classes are upper division classes ( including biophysics) and I was honestly hoping to take another upper division course. @LizzyM ,@GrapesofRath , @Goro?

It's your call. If you think you can get something out of the class and it is interesting take it. It's one class; if you do well in your other upper level classes this year nobody is going to make a big issue of you trying to take an easy way out for one course.