Lower GPA, top tier school vs High GPA elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The average gpas at my school are around 2.0-2.4 for almost all science pre-med pre-reqs.

What does this mean for my school's grade curve? Is it inflated, deflated, or average?
Probably around average for state schools, deflated for top privates, though we don't know any of the potentially confounding factors such as grade percentile distribution, standard deviation, motivation of student body, average academic aptitude of student body, and self-selection for the courses being considered.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to an Ivy League school (which I stated quite clearly only a few posts above this) that was not in my state and also my cheapest option due to financial aid. My next two cheapest options were also top private schools (again, due to financial aid) and after that was my flagship state school, which gave me no financial aid, and therefore was more expensive than the first three options.

I don't understand. How does a state school offer less financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they have less money, generally speaking. They make up for this by having cheaper tuition than private schools.

Look at the endowments per capita: http://www.reachhighscholars.org/college_endowments.html

What's the first public school you see on there?

Well, I was asking because if you have high enough stats to get into more selective schools;usually state schools, like mine offer scholarships that cover all of the tuition.

Well, I was asking because if you have high enough stats to get into more selective schools;usually state schools, like mine offer scholarships that cover all of the tuition.

I only applied to one state school and their full tuition merit scholarship is about as competitive as getting into Harvard. Even if I had 1) applied for and 2) gotten this scholarship, I would most likely have made the same decision that I did.

Many state schools have cut off numbers for scholarships. Mine anything above a 1500 SAT and you essentially got a full tuition as long as your high school GPA wasn't subpar. There are many other state schools like mine.

Probably around average for state schools, deflated for top privates, though we don't know any of the potentially confounding factors such as grade percentile distribution, standard deviation, motivation of student body, average academic aptitude of student body, and self-selection for the courses being considered.

Its a large public state school so its probably around average then.

I also was offered a lot better financial packages from Top 20 private schools than Berkeley or UCLA or UCSD. It varies a lot on your state I'm sure

@efle @GrapesofRath

Here is what I can say about my school. I go to an Ivy League school, and here is my experience. This is only directly applicable to my school. I do not think my school has a reputation for grade inflation or deflation other than "zomg its ivy therefore its super inflated :heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::banana::banana::banana::hello::horns::horns:"

All of our hard sciences classes (with one exception) were curved to a B median. However, our distributions on these curves were not equivalent for all grades. Our medians were B range as well as our mode. Generally, it looked something like this:

15-20% A/A-
60-80% B+/B/B-
5-15% C+/C/C-
0-5% D/F

It varied depending on the class, but it was generally this. I had one biology class where only 3 people got As and 2 got A-s, but the median was a B. I had another biology class where anyone with a 90%+ raw score was automatically given an A while anyone else was subjected to the curve scaling (so you might get an A with below a 90%, but it's not guaranteed). The median was again a B. I had a third biology class where generally exam scores had medians in the 70s and you were graded based on a curve with the 50% percentile being a B, but the standard deviation on raw scores being very small, so in order to hit the A threshold, you had to score significantly above the median. This was the case with my chemistry classes too, though the median (raw) grades and ranges in chemistry were usually lower than in biology classes by 5-20 points. One chemistry class I took had a B- median about 1/3 times it was offered (when I took it, it was a B median, though friends and underclassmen took it with the B-).

The distribution I presented above is a general trend based off of the histograms that my professors gave to us at the end of each test along with the cutoffs for each grade (they generally gave us A B C D cutoffs without the +s and -s except in certain circumstances or if you asked them where you stood because you were on the border).

Most of our grades came from exams (3-4 total depending on the class) with lab integrated into our class and essentially counting as another exam. For instance, if a class had 3 exams, it would generally be 25% midterm 1, 25% midterm 2, 30% final, 20% lab, or something similar to that. In some cases, 1-2% would be "clicker" questions, which nearly everyone got because at my school, nearly everyone comes to class all the time (even when these clicker questions don't exist). Our exams are all made by our professors and come from their lectures, notes they write on the blackboards, and powerpoints (in classes that had them). In my experience, all my bio classes had powerpoints while my chem and physics classes were all written on the blackboard (so if you missed a class you had to get notes from a friend), though things were also written on the board in most of my bio classes in addition to the powerpoints, which made note-taking vital.

Now, with all this said, we see that you had to score in the top two deciles in pre-med heavy classes at one of the best schools in the country that is packed to the brim with ambitious, bright, motivated, and disciplined students. These students were all gunning for As, all (if you feel this is a valuable metric) scored in the top percentiles of the SAT/ACT, all invested a ton of effort in these classes in addition to everything else they needed to do, and yet still you had to outcompete at the very least 80% of them to even get an A-. Thus, in order to match the national median for accepted students to MD schools, you had to consistently be outperforming 80% of equally talented premed students whose big claim to fame is that they are good at schools. This is far more difficult than some people might expect. Many of these students, at a school with less competition, would be pulling As in these classes, but instead they are getting Bs because 20+% of the premed body performs better than them on these tests.

Now this is only for Biology, Physics, Chemistry. Other departments (including Neuroscience, which has a reputation within my school [or maybe just in my head] for being science for premeds who can't hack it in biology) have much higher department GPA medians. My school put out a departmental report based on overall median for that department and the range was astounding. You had nearly a 0.8 difference between the lowest 5 (which included biology, physics, and chemistry) and the highest 5 (which included stuff like theater and other humanities).

I absolutely do not deny that my school is inflated in the humanities and parts of the social sciences (ie everything except our econ department which is also in our bottom 5 and the psych department). Medians in many many many humanities classes are A or A- (with some B+s thrown in there) and I think it's ridiculous. This is why you might commonly see non-science major premeds with cGPAs of 3.7 but sGPAs of 3.2-3.3.

Now, yes, I understand schools like WashU have similar levels of competition, rigor, etc, and yet have C median classes, but I posit that the percentage of students getting As and A-s (ie what really matters when you're applying to medical school) in both cases are similar (somewhere between 10 and 20%), so if you're still at the top of your class, it won't matter either way, but it can hurt more at WashU than at my school if you're in the middle of the pack.

As with WashU, our school's average successful MD stats are different than the national median. The national median is 3.7/31 while for our school, it is around 3.55/33-34 (these numbers are nearly 2 years old now though, as that's the last time I talked to my premed office about this stuff, so it may have changed slightly).

Our tests in the sciences emphasize critical thinking over memorization, and although you won't get too far if you don't know things, you are certainly not going to do very well on our tests. Multiple choice tests? What are those again? Most of my core premed classes had exams with 6-7 questions and 3 hours to complete them in. No (or very little) multiple choice. It was all about using information to figure things out and piece together bits of knowledge until you can come up with a cohesive solution. And although this can be very difficult, it makes the MCAT (at least old MCAT - I have no experience with the new MCAT) science sections essentially a joke. People with 3.4 GPAs would blast the MCAT out of the water without exhaustive studying (again, I'm sure this trend exists across all top schools). I don't think my roommate's science GPA even hit a 3.2, but he did exceptionally on the MCAT (which he took in the middle of a heavy term - the day after a midterm no less) and he got into a top 30 med school (didn't have anything else fancy either). We have an MD acceptance rate upwards of 80% (won't say the exact number) and we absolutely do not screen our applicants in any way (I've been through this process so I know).

So the short answer to "are Ivies inflated" is yes but it's more like yes* because it varies across department and a B median doesn't mean that you're any better off applying to medical school than you would be at a school with C medians instead.

If you have questions about my experience or my response, I'm happy to answer them. I think I explained this fairly well, so I am going to link to this post in my signature and will point people towards it whenever something related to this issue comes up.

Edit: Corollary for further reading - (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-vs-high-gpa-elsewhere.1151209/#post-16736745)
@WedgeDawg, again I have been impressed by one of your many well thought out arguments on sdn. Mind if I share my 2 cents?

I agree with you 100%. But only like 70% of upper tier undergrads make up accepted students at upper tier med schools. Therefore, there are like 20-30% accepted that do come from lower ranked state schools. I personally believe that this "disparity" is truly not a disparity at all. Its just that really talented poor kids or maybe really talented kids who just go to state schools for whatever reason, still crush the MCAT and get 3.9s and 4.0s at the state schools. However, since state schools are less selective, you get a really small amount of "really talented" kids at them. I seriously don't want to sound pretentious. But I got a 525 MCAT and have a 3.99cgpa at a state school. But there are literally probably only a handful of pre-meds with my kind of stats at my entire institution. But at Harvard, Yale, etc, literally every kid is equivalent to the top kids at these state schools.

What I mean to say is this, I don't necessarily think that going to a top tier undergrad helps you. The only reason that 70-80% of med students at these top med school are from top undergrads is because typically all the smart kids in high school go to top undergrads. The 20-30% that aren't from top undergrads are probably equally as smart, but for whatever reason don't go to top undergrads.

Idk if this makes sense or not. But I think this could be the case.

I do then think that lower GPAs at top schools are equivalent to high GPAs at state schools. You are simply competing against way higher competition. I personally think grade inflation is necessary, to help keep talented undergrads who decided to challenge themselves at a top undergrads from having horrible GPAs if they aren't necessarily at the top of their class. Because at state schools they probably would be.

I believe the very top kids at state and private schools are probably pretty similar in talent. However it is the fact that top private undergrads are just loaded with so many talented students that makes grade inflation okay to me.

@WedgeDawg, again I have been impressed by one of your many well thought out arguments on sdn. Mind if I share my 2 cents?

I agree with you 100%. But only like 70% of upper tier undergrads make up accepted students at upper tier med schools. Therefore, there are like 20-30% accepted that do come from lower ranked state schools. I personally believe that this "disparity" is truly not a disparity at all. Its just that really talented poor kids or maybe really talented kids who just go to state schools for whatever reason, still crush the MCAT and get 3.9s and 4.0s at the state schools. However, since state schools are less selective, you get a really small amount of "really talented" kids at them. I seriously don't want to sound pretentious. But I got a 525 MCAT and have a 3.99cgpa at a state school. But there are literally probably only a handful of pre-meds with my kind of stats at my entire institution. But at Harvard, Yale, etc, literally every kid is equivalent to the top kids at these state schools.

-hat I mean to say is this, I don't necessarily think that going to a top tier undergrad helps you. The only reason that 70-80% of med students at these top med school are from top undergrads is because typically all the smart kids in high school go to top undergrads. The 20-30% that aren't from top undergrads are probably equally as smart, but for whatever reason don't go to top undergrads.

Idk if this makes sense or not. But I think this could be the case.
This is an old argument, that top MD schools are full of Top 20 college grads not because the MDs prefer selective undergrads, but because most people capable of top percentile MCATs were also impressive in highschool and thus all ended up at Top 20s undergrads.

This is pretty much put to bed by the AAMC survey, which shows that there is a favoritism (at private MD programs), pure and simple. It makes sense why, since being top third or top quarter for those sexy A's is more difficult the more capable one's peers are.

Reactions: 1 users
This is an old argument, that top MD schools are full of Top 20 college grads not because the MDs prefer selective undergrads, but because most people capable of top percentile MCATs were also impressive in highschool and thus all ended up at Top 20s undergrads.

This is pretty much put to bed by the AAMC survey, which shows that there is a favoritism (at private MD programs), pure and simple. It makes sense why, since being top third or top quarter for those sexy A's is more difficult the more capable one's peers are.
I've seen this survey. And I don't disagree with you one bit! But still the fact remains that there are plenty of state school kids that blow top private school kids away on the mcat. I believe it is these kids that make up the 20-30% I talked about in my above post

I've seen this survey. And I don't disagree with you one bit! But still the fact remains that there are plenty of state school kids that blow top private school kids away on the mcat. I believe it is these kids that make up the 20-30% I talked about in my above post
I'd honestly expect the state schoolers at big name MD programs to have many of the stronger scores, since they don't have as much wiggle room with GPA and as much resources for ECs to plump up the app. Gotta absolutely nail the Great Equalizer

Reactions: 1 users
I'd honestly expect the state schoolers at big name MD programs to have many of the stronger scores, since they don't have as much wiggle room with GPA and as much resources for ECs to plump up the app. Gotta absolutely nail the Great Equalizer
Exactly. Without a terrific MCAT, unfortunately, I think state schoolers are out of the game at top tier med schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. Without a terrific MCAT, unfortunately, I think state schoolers are out of the game at top tier med schools
Our very own @gettheleadout is a big fan of this theory, he feels being from an unknown state school seriously hurt his shot at Top 20s even with a 40+ MCAT. He ended up at one hell of a great program though

Reactions: 1 user
Our very own @gettheleadout is a big fan of this theory, he feels being from an unknown state school seriously hurt his shot at Top 20s even with a 40+ MCAT. He ended up at one hell of a great program though
With some luck I'm praying that could maybe that can be me next year:bullcrap:

LOL...no, Stony Brook and Binghamton are just awesome as some of the top schools in the nation...
ohhh lol wait... stony brook and binghamton ARE suny's tho? lol and I think saying that they are on par with some of the top schools in the nation is a stretch

ohhh lol wait... stony brook and binghamton ARE suny's tho? lol and I think saying that they are on par with some of the top schools in the nation is a stretch
haha a ton of people confuse CUNY with SUNY and vice versa. Stonybrook and Binghampton are SUNYs, part of state university system. afaik al CUNYs are contained to New York City and are the city's public university system.

haha a ton of people confuse CUNY with SUNY and vice versa. Stonybrook and Binghampton are SUNYs, part of state university system. afaik al CUNYs are contained to New York City and are the city's public university system.
wow, literally learned that just now. thanks

Multiple issues here.

1. Let's take that survey at face value. Undergrad selectivity is among the criteria enumerated as of highest importance by adcoms. How does this undermine the self-selection bias? At best it puts it into perspective, but certainly does not eliminate it, or even begin to assess its importance or lack thereof.

There is empirical evidence proving its great prevalence in certain situations, and there is no reason to believe it does not apply here.

2. Let's talk about the survey now.

Medical schools, and particularly admission deans, partake heavily into PR. It's been said many times here -including by people in the know- that some deans actively look for students with a high MCAT/GPA solely to ramp up in the USSnooze and such rankings. Because people -and future applicants- love big numbers for big numbers, rankings for rankings, selectivity for selectivity. It's human nature to be vapid. Thus it would be in the best interest of "top" medical schools to officially claim something which will demonstrably bring in competitive applicants.

It's particularly doubtful for at least one reason. Look at the other variables -I think we spoke of this before, and you disagreed with me, not that it matters-, for example LoRs. Adcoms on here have said numerous, numerous times that these letters are literally all the same - unanimously laudatory-, and have no impact unless it's actually critical, which almost never happens. Yet, it's ranked of higher importance than research, for private schools! That's absolutely nonsensical. LoRs will make or break you, what, 0.X% of the time? Whereas significant research, at these schools, is almost a sine qua non.

It does not invalidate the whole survey, mind you, but should stimulate questioning. And it goes in line with the general sentiment I've gathered from adcom advice here too; reputation matters in certain circumstances, to a limited degree.

Needless to say that trying to apply self-reported aggregate data to specific situations, especially one that concerns an extreme of the spectrum ("top 20" schools), is simply intellectual dishonesty.

1) It doesn't, I think both are at play. Yes, most people capable of 38+ MCATs also killed the SAT and went to good colleges. Yes, as a separate attractive feature on an app, earning straight A's somewhere like an Ivy is more impressive because of the more capable student body.

2) I brought this up with Mimelim, he said LoRs are usually all laudatory, but count as critically important that they are such. In other words it can completely sink an app to have anything but all positive letters; it's a case of rarely a big plus, but an opportunity for a HUGE minus. Research is only mandatory at the same level as very strong MCAT/GPA etc at a handful of the most elite private MD programs, lumping all private schools into one value is what drops that to moderate importance as the other features are emphasized throughout the range of private programs.

Top 20 is just a shorthand for known high quality colleges, there are of course many more than 20 schools that would bring a + to an app.

Keep in mind that Goro is at a DO program and Gyngyn at a public university. People like LizzyM and Mimelim very much do recognize the importance of things like excessively strong numbers or the role of institution name. And besides, the small n of SDN posting adcoms is just a terrifically bad way to try and refute a survey of most MD programs from the authority on med application.

1) It doesn't, I think both are at play. Yes, most people capable of 38+ MCATs also killed the SAT and went to good colleges. Yes, as a separate attractive feature on an app, earning straight A's somewhere like an Ivy is more impressive because of the more capable student body.

2) I brought this up with Mimelim, he said LoRs are usually all laudatory, but count as critically important that they are such. In other words it can completely sink an app to have anything but all positive letters; it's a case of rarely a big plus, but an opportunity for a HUGE minus. Research is only mandatory at the same level as very strong MCAT/GPA etc at a handful of the most elite private MD programs, lumping all private schools into one value is what drops that to moderate importance as the other features are emphasized throughout the range of private programs.

Top 20 is just a shorthand for known high quality colleges, there are of course many more than 20 schools that would bring a + to an app.

Keep in mind that Goro is at a DO program and Gyngyn at a public university. People like LizzyM and Mimelim very much do recognize the importance of things like excessively strong numbers or the role of institution name. And besides, the small n of SDN posting adcoms is just a terrifically bad way to try and refute a survey of most MD programs from the authority on med application.
I've always wondered. Have you even taken the MCAT yet?

At my school, Adcom members have no idea who has grade de/inflation. We look at your GPA, period.

Every now and then someone will say about a marginal candidate "but he got a 3.3 at [name school]. That's got to account for something!"

We ponder this for a second or two, and onto the wait list the candidate goes.

If a school is a know feeder, then students get cut some slack, since the product tis a known quantity for performing well at the med school (say, like SUNY SB UG for Cornell or NYU).

Totally happened to me last cycle -- point-for-point. Preach.

Yes, I took it last summer and scored 40+ (99.9th percentile, equivalent to about a 526 on the new score distribution)
How come you're not humble bragging about it like the rest of premeds on sdn?
And does that mean you're applying this cycle too?

How come you're not humble bragging about it like the rest of premeds on sdn?
And does that mean you're applying this cycle too?
I have mentioned it where relevant before. I don't really get what the appeal is of impressing strangers on the internet. I come here to learn and be entertained/argue with people.

I was originally planning to because an adviser told me research experience was not necessary to be competitive for good Med schools. Turns out they were dead wrong, and 95+% of accepted applicants to the big names have it. I decided to apply after Senior year to get research on my app instead of impatiently shooting myself in the foot. I was also persuaded by talking to some people that had taken a gap year and loved it - it will be very nice to take a break from the education grind to enjoy being a twentysomething with my roomies and SO

Reactions: 3 users
I have mentioned it where relevant before. I don't really get what the appeal is of impressing strangers on the internet. I come here to learn and be entertained/argue with people.

I was originally planning to because an adviser told me research experience was not necessary to be competitive for good Med schools. Turns out they were dead wrong, and 95+% of accepted applicants to the big names have it. I decided to apply after Senior year to get research on my app instead of impatiently shooting myself in the foot. I was also persuaded by talking to some people that had taken a gap year and loved it - it will be very nice to take a break from the education grind to enjoy being a twentysomething with my roomies and SO
Yup I have many friends who are taking a gap year and they all have exciting things planned!

Dear God I'd take that B median any day.
Lol yeah, I love having a B- median in sophomore and junior level courses, where the weakest students have already switched majors. I had one course where the average was like a B or B+, and that made things a lot easier.

Sorry this may sound dumb, but I'm a little lost on how the intellect of fellow peers affects the curve? At my school, there are hard professors, and easy professors, and hard tests and easy tests. Wouldn't the grade distribution depend on the difficulty of the test and or the professor? Most my classes have a C or lower median, but someone always gets an A. Eg if it's a very hard test everyone fails but it gets curved to a normal bell shape with the majority of scorers in the middle. Is the argument that so many kids are smart that there's more "clumpage" of higher scoring grades, so when it's adjusted to the curve it's harder to "break away" to that A range? Apologies is this sounds extremely remedial.. I mean I do go to a state school

Sorry this may sound dumb, but I'm a little lost on how the intellect of fellow peers affects the curve? At my school, there are hard professors, and easy professors, and hard tests and easy tests. Wouldn't the grade distribution depend on the difficulty of the test and or the professor? Most my classes have a C or lower median, but someone always gets an A. Eg if it's a very hard test everyone fails but it gets curved to a normal bell shape with the majority of scorers in the middle. Is the argument that so many kids are smart that there's more "clumpage" of higher scoring grades, so when it's adjusted to the curve it's harder to "break away" to that A range? Apologies is this sounds extremely remedial.. I mean I do go to a state school
There are population differences that drown out the minor variations in luckiness with getting the easy professors etc. The easier tests at one school may be at the level of the harder tests at another, and across many people each with many classes a difference between universities emerges

Lol yeah, I love having a B- median in sophomore and junior level courses, where the weakest students have already switched majors. I had one course where the average was like a B or B+, and that made things a lot easier.
That's the worst. At my school, the pre-reqs are curved to B-/C+, so it gets harder gong from Chem -> Bio/Orgo -> Physics when the weak dropped out.

Luckily, some of my upper levels actually had a grading scale.:clap:
I guess you can't grade on a curve with 20 people in a class.

That's the worst. At my school, the pre-reqs are curved to B-/C+, so it gets harder gong from Chem -> Bio/Orgo -> Physics when the weak dropped out.

Luckily, some of my upper levels actually had a grading scale.:clap:
I guess you can't grade on a curve with 20 people in a class.
Sure you can! Just make a uni-wide rule that only X% can get each grade like Princeton had! Suddenly every class is curved!

Sure you can! Just make a uni-wide rule that only X% can get each grade like Princeton had! Suddenly every class is curved!
Yeah I've had upper levels like that too.:mad:

Of course, Princeton got rid of that policy, no doubt because their students' considerably lower GPAs were hurting them relative to peers like Harvard. Really this is going to end up as a race for most inflation, and in twenty years your app will be thrown out for having less than a 3.9 as A- becomes the new D

It's like a tame dystopian vision for neurotic premeds

Of course, Princeton got rid of that policy, no doubt because their students' considerably lower GPAs were hurting them relative to peers like Harvard. Really this is going to end up as a race for most inflation, and in twenty years your app will be thrown out for having less than a 3.9 as A- becomes the new D

It's like a tame dystopian vision for neurotic premeds
I wish my school had 30% As like Princeton did... Lol

I wish my school had 30% As like Princeton did... Lol
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that they felt more than 35% needed to be getting As, but like I said they don't want to be making themselves a worse option than the 50+% A's at Harvard!

At least half the class gets an A there! WTF /rant

Some of my upper level classes have 15
shoulve been a psych/socio major

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that they felt more than 35% needed to be getting As, but like I said they don't want to be making themselves a worse option than the 50+% A's at Harvard!

At least half the class gets an A there! WTF /rant

shoulve been a psych/socio major
50% is ridiculous...
and why?

Because it's got much kinder grading than hard sciences do and is still interesting stuff!

An interesting bit from a Crimson article on the policy drop, does seem like it was due to Harvard's own outrageous behavior:

'[Harvard] Economics professor Jeffrey A. Miron said that [Princeton's] policy’s reversal was “unfortunate,” though he added that he was not surprised.

“I thought [the policy] put Princeton in a tough position because some students concerned about their grades would tend to choose other schools over Princeton,” he said. “Unless other schools followed suit, it was a competitive mistake.”

The fate of Princeton’s attempt to address grade inflation, in turn, may shape the way Harvard approaches grading.

Mansfield said that Princeton’s policy reversal might discourage Harvard from adopting a similar policy or taking administrative action to regulate grading practices.'

My dystopian vision is right! Soon enough you'll be in the minority if you have less than a 4.00

@efle @GrapesofRath

Here is what I can say about my school. I go to an Ivy League school, and here is my experience. This is only directly applicable to my school. I do not think my school has a reputation for grade inflation or deflation other than "zomg its ivy therefore its super inflated :heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah::banana::banana::banana::hello::horns::horns:"

All of our hard sciences classes (with one exception) were curved to a B median. However, our distributions on these curves were not equivalent for all grades. Our medians were B range as well as our mode. Generally, it looked something like this:

15-20% A/A-
60-80% B+/B/B-
5-15% C+/C/C-
0-5% D/F

It varied depending on the class, but it was generally this. I had one biology class where only 3 people got As and 2 got A-s, but the median was a B. I had another biology class where anyone with a 90%+ raw score was automatically given an A while anyone else was subjected to the curve scaling (so you might get an A with below a 90%, but it's not guaranteed). The median was again a B. I had a third biology class where generally exam scores had medians in the 70s and you were graded based on a curve with the 50% percentile being a B, but the standard deviation on raw scores being very small, so in order to hit the A threshold, you had to score significantly above the median. This was the case with my chemistry classes too, though the median (raw) grades and ranges in chemistry were usually lower than in biology classes by 5-20 points. One chemistry class I took had a B- median about 1/3 times it was offered (when I took it, it was a B median, though friends and underclassmen took it with the B-).

The distribution I presented above is a general trend based off of the histograms that my professors gave to us at the end of each test along with the cutoffs for each grade (they generally gave us A B C D cutoffs without the +s and -s except in certain circumstances or if you asked them where you stood because you were on the border).

Most of our grades came from exams (3-4 total depending on the class) with lab integrated into our class and essentially counting as another exam. For instance, if a class had 3 exams, it would generally be 25% midterm 1, 25% midterm 2, 30% final, 20% lab, or something similar to that. In some cases, 1-2% would be "clicker" questions, which nearly everyone got because at my school, nearly everyone comes to class all the time (even when these clicker questions don't exist). Our exams are all made by our professors and come from their lectures, notes they write on the blackboards, and powerpoints (in classes that had them). In my experience, all my bio classes had powerpoints while my chem and physics classes were all written on the blackboard (so if you missed a class you had to get notes from a friend), though things were also written on the board in most of my bio classes in addition to the powerpoints, which made note-taking vital.

Now, with all this said, we see that you had to score in the top two deciles in pre-med heavy classes at one of the best schools in the country that is packed to the brim with ambitious, bright, motivated, and disciplined students. These students were all gunning for As, all (if you feel this is a valuable metric) scored in the top percentiles of the SAT/ACT, all invested a ton of effort in these classes in addition to everything else they needed to do, and yet still you had to outcompete at the very least 80% of them to even get an A-. Thus, in order to match the national median for accepted students to MD schools, you had to consistently be outperforming 80% of equally talented premed students whose big claim to fame is that they are good at schools. This is far more difficult than some people might expect. Many of these students, at a school with less competition, would be pulling As in these classes, but instead they are getting Bs because 20+% of the premed body performs better than them on these tests.

Now this is only for Biology, Physics, Chemistry. Other departments (including Neuroscience, which has a reputation within my school [or maybe just in my head] for being science for premeds who can't hack it in biology) have much higher department GPA medians. My school put out a departmental report based on overall median for that department and the range was astounding. You had nearly a 0.8 difference between the lowest 5 (which included biology, physics, and chemistry) and the highest 5 (which included stuff like theater and other humanities).

I absolutely do not deny that my school is inflated in the humanities and parts of the social sciences (ie everything except our econ department which is also in our bottom 5 and the psych department). Medians in many many many humanities classes are A or A- (with some B+s thrown in there) and I think it's ridiculous. This is why you might commonly see non-science major premeds with cGPAs of 3.7 but sGPAs of 3.2-3.3.

Now, yes, I understand schools like WashU have similar levels of competition, rigor, etc, and yet have C median classes, but I posit that the percentage of students getting As and A-s (ie what really matters when you're applying to medical school) in both cases are similar (somewhere between 10 and 20%), so if you're still at the top of your class, it won't matter either way, but it can hurt more at WashU than at my school if you're in the middle of the pack.

As with WashU, our school's average successful MD stats are different than the national median. The national median is 3.7/31 while for our school, it is around 3.55/33-34 (these numbers are nearly 2 years old now though, as that's the last time I talked to my premed office about this stuff, so it may have changed slightly).

Our tests in the sciences emphasize critical thinking over memorization, and although you won't get too far if you don't know things, you are certainly not going to do very well on our tests. Multiple choice tests? What are those again? Most of my core premed classes had exams with 6-7 questions and 3 hours to complete them in. No (or very little) multiple choice. It was all about using information to figure things out and piece together bits of knowledge until you can come up with a cohesive solution. And although this can be very difficult, it makes the MCAT (at least old MCAT - I have no experience with the new MCAT) science sections essentially a joke. People with 3.4 GPAs would blast the MCAT out of the water without exhaustive studying (again, I'm sure this trend exists across all top schools). I don't think my roommate's science GPA even hit a 3.2, but he did exceptionally on the MCAT (which he took in the middle of a heavy term - the day after a midterm no less) and he got into a top 30 med school (didn't have anything else fancy either). We have an MD acceptance rate upwards of 80% (won't say the exact number) and we absolutely do not screen our applicants in any way (I've been through this process so I know).

So the short answer to "are Ivies inflated" is yes but it's more like yes* because it varies across department and a B median doesn't mean that you're any better off applying to medical school than you would be at a school with C medians instead.

If you have questions about my experience or my response, I'm happy to answer them. I think I explained this fairly well, so I am going to link to this post in my signature and will point people towards it whenever something related to this issue comes up.

Edit: Corollary for further reading - (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-vs-high-gpa-elsewhere.1151209/#post-16736745)

Wedge, I know you had to have gone to Columbia, because your description sounds exactly like my school. and the medians are spot on. everything is curved to a B, except a certain teacher's class who was curved to a B-/C+. And, even now, I have no idea how I would have gotten the A's at my school in some of the chemistry courses, it was like, crazy because averages were 12/20 and the spread was so ridiculously large.

ergo why I am kind of sad about going there with my 3.5/3.2 , because I think hurts me. My science gpa is low (3.2) and ( I worry) that med schools will not forgive me for it.

Wedge, I know you had to have gone to Columbia, because your description sounds exactly like my school. and the medians are spot on.

I have attended one or more of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Penn, Brown, and/or Cornell. As efle noted above, I suspect a fair number of schools are like this.

I really think it was the 41 + two first author publications more than your school's engineering department that got him into Harvard med. Not saying that your school's engineering department is bad (there are many state UGs with fantastic engineering programs), but do you think he would have gotten into Harvard with a 33 and no publications? Your roommate proved himself to be a phenomenal student, researcher, and test-taker, traits that medical schools like. I wouldn't attribute his success to the program he was in. I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think this is really an argument that contributes evidence towards that.
lol the savagery here