Lower Number Carbon VS Higher Number Carbon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Doctor of JiJi

Hi, what is considered a lower number carbon or higher number carbon? Is the lower number carbon away from alpha carbon? such as 1 is higher nubmer carbon and 6 is lower number carbon?

For example, in a cyclic sugar formation in which the OH group attack the carbonyl carbon, is the OH attached to a higher number carbon or lower number carbon? I always thought the bigger the number the higher the carbon number such as the OH attaches to the higher number carbon but Kaplan says the opposite. Can anyone explain?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the significance of knowing “higher” vs “lower”? I’ve never heard of that in all my MCAT studying nor was it on the actual test. I have seen them ask about specific numbers of the carbon though. Just not really sure what your question is...

What is the significance of knowing “higher” vs “lower”? I’ve never heard of that in all my MCAT studying nor was it on the actual test. I have seen them ask about specific numbers of the carbon though. Just not really sure what your question is...

View attachment 267503
One of the Kaplan full-length questions asks this. The correct answer is like the functional group of lower number carbon is the nucleophilic reactant in the cyclic sugar formation. I chose higher number because the OH is attached to 5th carbon I thought it is higher number but it is wrong. I never heard of the higher or lower number either so I am confused.

One of the Kaplan full-length questions asks this. The correct answer is like the functional group of lower number carbon is the nucleophilic reactant in the cyclic sugar formation. I chose higher number because the OH is attached to 5th carbon I thought it is higher number but it is wrong. I never heard of the higher or lower number either so I am confused.

In this context, I would think about it looking at a Fischer diagram. "Higher" meaning towards the top. This just seems like a naming convention that you need to be familiar with, but I have never seen any AAMC questions refer to this.

In this context, I would think about it looking at a Fischer diagram. "Higher" meaning towards the top. This just seems like a naming convention that you need to be familiar with, but I have never seen any AAMC questions refer to this.
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks