lower step 2 ck than step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlife2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to get some advice as to how I should approach this situation. I received a 234 on step 2 ck and a 246 on step 1 and I am not sure as to when I should release my step 2 score and if I should try and provide an explanation or something. I am applying for radiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some advice as to how I should approach this situation. I received a 234 on step 2 ck and a 246 on step 1 and I am not sure as to when I should release my step 2 score and if I should try and provide an explanation or something. I am applying for radiology.
It's my understanding that the vast majority of DR programs don't put significant weight on Step 2 (at most they want to confirm you passed before they officially begin the rank process). Now if you had dropped 20+ points from Step 1 to Step 2, that could potentially raise red flags with some PDs, but in your case I wouldn't worry. If you have concerns about the score affecting rank lists then there's no harm in delaying to release it until after you've finished interviews, but it really shouldn't matter. Bottom line: if you had a great interview and the PD/residents think you're a good fit for the program, a 10-12 point drop on step 2 won't change anything.

Reactions: 2 users