Lower than average stats and DO acceptance chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRCA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application on June 1st 2015 and it has been verified with lower than average stats: 3.23 oGPA 3.17 sGPA and 24 MCAT. I am retaking the MCAT on this week but have only managed to get a high score of 505 on practice tests with a low of 498. Average EC's.

Clinical research experience 3+ years
Ongoing community involvement
MD shadowing ~50+ hours (3 MD LORs)
Independent research experience (no publications)
Currently shadowing a DO (hoping to get a LOR within the next 2 weeks)
Hispanic
Grew up in an underserved community
Post-bac (took the bio and chem/ochem series with one B+ and the rest As)
Highly recommended LOR from post-bac

I applied to the following schools (did not take biochem so a few had to be left off of my list):

A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus
Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine–New York
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University

Secondaries are going to be pricy if received from each school. Do I have a chance at any of the above listed schools?

Update:

Interviews and decisions:

Burrell-waitlisted
LMU-Accepted
Touro-NY-Accepted
PNWU-Waitlisted

I withdrew my applications from all schools when I heard about my Touro-NY acceptance around a week ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would say that AZCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, and Touro are basically impossible with your numbers. However, even the rest are not a good chance with a 3.1/24... as you're probably a SD or two below both GPA and MCAT at most schools.

A great MCAT retake (if you're 1-2 SD above the school mean) would make a significant difference in your overall chances.

I'd add KYCOM and subtract CCOM. Schools like NYCOM and both Touro campuses will be a stretch, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very unlikely at WesternU campuses, but I've seen it happen.

Also a stretch for NOVA I believe, depending on new MCAT. Without biochem though, I do see this (high new MCAT) as a challenge.

Reactions: 1 user
If you feel like your verified GPAs are wrong, call AACOMAS and recheck for any mistake. Ive met a medical student, also a URM, from ATSU-SOMA with a 3.5 GPA/25 MCAT.

Ask @Goro & @user3

Not all Hispanics are URM. I agree with the posts here...OP is better off applying broadly and especially targeting the newest schools. I can't recommend LUCOM. OP should dig up user3's post in this forum of avg COM stata and apply accordingly.

If you feel like your verified GPAs are wrong, call AACOMAS and recheck for any mistake. Ive met a medical student, also a URM, from ATSU-SOMA with a 3.5 GPA/25 MCAT.

Ask @Goro & @user3

To sum things up quick. 3.03 cumgpa 3.41bcpm. No mcat yet, 20 on old mcat voided. Have worked in acute care for over 5 years, ekg tech, cathlab tech, and currently full time neurophysiologist at a level 1 trauma center. Trying to figure out the next step. I'm working full time so I'm trying to figure out if I would even have a shot at DO with these stats, or am I destined for a post bacc program. I feel as if I would only have enough time, to skimp in an mcat score, that would get me into a post bacc, rather I ask myself, if I go full throttle would I have a shot at bypassing the post bacc? As far as EC's go, in my opinion shadowing and volunteering is child's play compared to being a paid healthcare professional. I have volunteered and shadowed, but you don't learn the same things, and experience the stress and emotion. Does this extensive clinical experience shine a different light on my application...?

Last edited:
It's certainly worth applying as you've obviously shown a commitment to pursuing medicine and that means something. However, you need to have displayed at some point that you're capable of handling the curriculum. A couple As in upper division science courses would help assuage those concerns.

If you weren't a great student and haven't performed well on standardized tests, they wouldn't be doing anybody a service by admitting you. Something needs to show them you can handle it.

I agree 100% I'm just not sure if going through hell for 4 months is worth matriculating 1 year earlier. I work in a very stressful environment, I can't see getting a high enough mcat to go straight to DO. I'm ready to move on. I am at the top of the medical technician food chain, and at 25 I want to get moving. Post bacc seems like a viable option, but with these stats I'm not really sure where I stand. Mcat is up in the air and that is a bad thing.

I agree 100% I'm just not sure if going through hell for 4 months is worth matriculating 1 year earlier. I work in a very stressful environment, I can't see getting a high enough mcat to go straight to DO. I'm ready to move on. I am at the top of the medical technician food chain, and at 25 I want to get moving. Post bacc seems like a viable option, but with these stats I'm not really sure where I stand. Mcat is up in the air and that is a bad thing.
I see pgy1's walking around and med students doing clinicals.... its frustrating

If you study now, and go hard focusing on the september 23 mcat, no reason why shouldnt break a 25-26 equivalent on the new MCAT. That said, will that be enough? I am not sure, maybe it will be, but it wount be at a top choice school, something in the lower tier. You are only 25 my friend, I am 29, been in med school before, but here i am doing this again, life handed me bad cards, I didnt flunk out, just health didnt side with me and then my sister passed away.

Dont put age in the way, but I do agree with the above poster, you need to show them you can handle the sciences. Lets put it this way, Ive spoken to a number of Ad Coms, and they said, they much rather see a string of As and Bs in upper level sciences, than see someone repeating a C+ in Gen chem 101 to get an A later.
Actually my highest grades were the required pre-reqs. I played college golf for 1.5 years while making c's in theatre and music and speech... A's in OCHEM A,B in GEN CHEM 1/2 BB in physics 1/2

And I see my friends posting on FB currently how theyre getting ready to submit their apps for residency interviews...these are people whom I taught what the heck Brachial Plexus was and the different disease processes....dont let that get to you, its all in the head, move on, we all have a path and this process is making you stronger....if you want it bad enough you'll get it....just dont let external factors get to you....
roger that, I think the move to my new job has really opened my eyes. I used to work at a regional hospital with no education programs. Now, boom I see all these kids walking around and it makes me want it even that much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you. Believe me I do. At one point, I used to lay in bed in the morning thinking how am I going to do this? Yes even now, I still have to take my MCAT, but one thing I do have now that I didnt have is self belief. Thats key.

You need to believe you can and will do this.

As long as your science GPA is above a 3.1/3.2, Id say you have a chance, just depends on how you sell yourself and how you do on the mcat....DO schools I feel love underdogs more, the AdComs want to hear a story, something of a feel good story, because you have to understand Osteopathic medicine isnt just about treating diseases, its about finding Health, as Dr. Still (founder of Osteopathy) said. ANd to find this, you have to work with patients, in primary care and usually in underserved areas and as a result of that, youll be treating diseases tied to one's external life issues, different socioeconomic factors, this is why DO schools LOVE hearing a story....make this count in your personal statement.
And I'm pretty sure working at Methodist Dallas Medical Center = everything in that quote, maybe even more. I mean, I perform EEG' to determine brain death, with the family asking me questions, 10 minutes later MD tells family, family members mert, punching walls, cops, emotions x 10

I feel you. Believe me I do. At one point, I used to lay in bed in the morning thinking how am I going to do this? Yes even now, I still have to take my MCAT, but one thing I do have now that I didnt have is self belief. Thats key.

You need to believe you can and will do this.

As long as your science GPA is above a 3.1/3.2, Id say you have a chance, just depends on how you sell yourself and how you do on the mcat....DO schools I feel love underdogs more, the AdComs want to hear a story, something of a feel good story, because you have to understand Osteopathic medicine isnt just about treating diseases, its about finding Health, as Dr. Still (founder of Osteopathy) said. ANd to find this, you have to work with patients, in primary care and usually in underserved areas and as a result of that, youll be treating diseases tied to one's external life issues, different socioeconomic factors, this is why DO schools LOVE hearing a story....make this count in your personal statement.
anyway thanks for your words of wisdom :)

I submitted my application on June 1st 2015 and it has been verified with lower than average stats: 3.23 oGPA 3.17 sGPA and 24 MCAT. I am retaking the MCAT on this week but have only managed to get a high score of 505 on practice tests with a low of 498. Average EC's.

Hispanic

I applied to the following schools (did not take biochem so a few had to be left off of my list):

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest

Secondaries are going to be pricy if received from each school. Do I have a chance at any of the above listed schools?
I wonder why a lot of people leave out KCU when applying...

I wonder why a lot of people leave out KCU when applying...

In this particular case it's because the OP mentioned that he/she didn't take Biochemistry, which is a required course for admission to KCUMB. I had to leave that school and others off my list for the same reason.

Hispanic

Update:

Burrell-waitlisted
LMU-Accepted
Touro-NY-Accepted
PNWU-Waitlisted

I withdrew my applications from all schools when I heard about my Touro-NY acceptance around a week ago.

Congrats! I'm applying this year and i'm so scared. Any tips you have?

This ^
And what did your MCAT turn out to be???

Thank you for the reply! I took the new one and got 503 and my cgpa is 3.4. If you don't mind, can you talk about your application, for example what did they ask in the interview, the type of recommendations you got, and if you applied early in the application process?

Thank you for the reply! I took the new one and got 503 and my cgpa is 3.4. If you don't mind, can you talk about your application, for example what did they ask in the interview, the type of recommendations you got, and if you applied early in the application process?
No no I referring to OP's MCAT haha

This is fine for DO. Apply early and broadly. Questions vary per school and focus on why become a physician/DO, ethics, stress, strengths.

You should have whatever LOR's from profs the school requires and one from DO.

This is fine for DO. Apply early and broadly. Questions vary per school and focus on why become a physician/DO, ethics, stress, strengths.

You should have whatever LOR's from profs the school requires and one from DO.

That's the one problem have with applying to DO schools. I don't have a DO recommender since I don't know many DOs. I have a recommendation from an MD however and I do know a lot of DOs because of the seminars in my college (& other reasons). Should I give up?

That's the one problem have with applying to DO schools. I don't have a DO recommender since I don't know many DOs. I have a recommendation from an MD however and I do know a lot of DOs because of the seminars in my college (& other reasons). Should I give up?
Find one! It just takes work and is in ur control. You have time at most schools.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Find one! It just takes work and is in ur control. You have time at most schools.

It says on the website DO or MD recommendation is fine.

Last edited:

It says on the website DO or MD recommendation is fine.

The issue is what do you say when they ask why DO? How do you back that up with real life examples? Do some reading on sdn and you'll find applicants who struggle with secondaries because they lack any real DO experience.

So, Yes you can get by without DO shadowing or LOR for some schools BUT it gives you points if you have that experience. If it comes down to two candidates one with and one without DO shadowing/LOR and both are similar which one do you think the school would choose? So unless you live in nowhere and there are none around then why would you not do it? Would you want to wear the best outfit to the interview and spend time preparing? It's not like you would have to spend 50+ hrs even to get a letter with most DOs. Some will do it in a week or two.

You can always submit the letter later or save it till interviews but if they are on the fence with your app it might be the thread that between acceptance and not.

It's about being the absolute best applicant you have in your power to be.

Your choice

Hispanic

Update:

Burrell-waitlisted
LMU-Accepted
Touro-NY-Accepted
PNWU-Waitlisted

how did you do on the mcat when you retook it?

Congrats! I'm applying this year and i'm so scared. Any tips you have?
Apply early. Work on secondaries immediately and get them out as soon as possible. Each interview asked about my ECs and commented how I am involved in my community and research so become involved if you haven't already done so.

@radian313 wait AACOMAS does not include math courses as sGPA? I have made two C's both in calc 1 and calc 2. Can anyone confirm this? This would boost up my sGPA if math is excluded from it.

sweet, I have a 3.5 cGPA and now my sGPA went from a 3.21 to a 3.34!

Thanks for responding! congrats on getting in I'm applying to touro and I just hope my application goes differently than last years.

Do you know what went wrong last year? & when are you applying?

Apply early. Work on secondaries immediately and get them out as soon as possible. Each interview asked about my ECs and commented how I am involved in my community and research so become involved if you haven't already done so.

I'm applying a little late in the cycle, however, I have similar stats as you (3.45 GPA & 505 MCAT), do you think I have a chance?

I'm applying a little late in the cycle, however, I have similar stats as you (3.45 GPA & 505 MCAT), do you think I have a chance?

Apply broadly and you'll be fine. You're at the DO average for matriculants

Hey there, just letting you know that you don't need to worry about the DO recommendations. I remember only a few schools really need a DO, most schools will take a MD recommendation. Oh and your score should be fine for DO schools, just apply to a good number of them. GL!

Hispanic

Update:

Burrell-waitlisted
LMU-Accepted
Touro-NY-Accepted
PNWU-Waitlisted

Congrats on getting into med school! :D

Hey there, just letting you know that you don't need to worry about the DO recommendations. I remember only a few schools really need a DO, most schools will take a MD recommendation. Oh and your score should be fine for DO schools, just apply to a good number of them. GL!

Thank you so much for the advice! You've raised my confidence.