Lower-Tier Gas Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snlfever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could suggest a list of programs that are considered community programs/ lower tier gas programs. Reason why Im curious is because Im a 3rd year DO student that took the USMLE but didnt exactly get stellar scores (193). I just did a gas rotation and absolutely loved it! I would like to get an idea where to schedule some 4th year electives and try to show my best, but I want to be realistic and go to places where I think I have a shot!

thanxs!
SNLfever!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy, it's too early to settle for 3rd tier programs. You can still honor your 4th year electives and blow up step II. My girlfriend did about the same as you and then came out with the step II 251/99 knock-out! She has a lot of quality interviews (wake forest, u-pitt, wash-u...). Set it up so that when you get that great score you are rotating at a residency program that you want to go to. When you are doing that rotation show tons of interest in the specialty and the program. :cool:

Oh yeah... and about that DO thing.... dont' sweat it. We are both US-FMG's.

Hey just look at the cancelled interview thread and read how many interviews people got and look how many they are cancelling. I don't think gas is as competitive as you may think.

Apply to a healthy number of programs 20-30 and work hard on your rotations. Remember there are usually spots left over for scramble as well, but these typically are in cold places eg NY, but you can look at Scutwork.com.

If you can't match and cant grab you something in the scramble, then just do a intern year somewhere and then apply for the PGY-2 positions. Many, many people enter the anesthesia field at the CA-1 level (pgy-2)

You will do fine if you try hard!

Good luck and feel free to PM me for anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with TimTye-

Anesthesia is GETTING competitive... it is NOT currently competitive. (Obviously except the top tier programs)

That's what I hear from a lot of 4th year students and PGY-1s, anyways.

Don't fall to the DO stigma yourself as a DO! Dont' settle for less.

Q

how do you guys feel about UMKC's St. Luke program and KU's program?

thanks for all the advice guys, I guess after seeing my millionth ear infection (doing peds right now), I was just getting nervous.....thinking...oh my gosh, what if I cant match into gas...am I going to be doing this for the rest of my life? (no offense to anyone planning on doing peds). Thanks again for the boost!
SNLfever :D

QuinnNSU said:
Agree with TimTye-

Anesthesia is GETTING competitive... it is NOT currently competitive.

Q

EM person in anesthesia forum? Lookee here.

How bout some jokes? I love the "things i learned from my patient's" thread.

K