Lowest GPA!! Pharmacy school admission!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamiv866

Reaction score
What is the lowest GPA someone has gotten into pharmacy school with, in the past few years?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of someone that got in with a 2.6. In mid 2000s, that would not even make it past the computer filters at most schools haha.

What is the lowest GPA someone has gotten into pharmacy school with, in the past few years?

I think the better question would be: Who got into pharmacy school with a low GPA and actually graduated?

I cannot speak for all programs, but I know for mine, anyone who could even get in with a 2.6 would be gone the first semester. I'm sure perhaps there are more outliers out there who manage to make it to graduation but more times than not if you don't understand the prerequisite material, how would you learn the material in a professional program that builds off the basics?

Members don't see this ad :)
If getting into pharmacy school with a low GPA seems too good to be true then it is.

Sometimes GPA alone does not tell the whole story. Which classes? Was there an upward trend? Things like that.

You can usually see the minimum GPA requirement, often the average GPA of entering classes, and even minimum/maximum accepted GPA on a pharmacy school's website or other official school admissions pages.

From your other posts it seems like you are considering further schooling to make up for a lower GPA. Think about your other experiences and how that compares to your GPA as well. Do not be afraid to call or contact admissions offices for advice. No one can do that part for you (especially random people on a forum).

California Health Sciences University is willing to accept those with a 2.8 gpa. They also accept students directly from community colleges.

California Health Sciences University is willing to accept those with a 2.8 gpa. They also accept students directly from community colleges.

2.5 or 2.8 are fairly common minimum GPAs even for established/"top" schools that can be pickier. Most average GPAs of entering classes I see are around 3.5.

UNC:
"The minimum GPA we will consider is a 2.5."

UCSF:

Cumulative Low 2.8, Avg 3.5, High 4.0
Science Low 2.22, Avg 3.42, High 4.0

UMich:
1589384325917.png

UW:
  • "While there is no established minimum Cumulative GPA requirement, applicants with a Cumulative GPA below 2.8 are generally not considered competitive
  • Cumulative GPA is calculated using grades from ALL college or university-level coursework"
  • "While there is no established minimum prerequisite GPA requirement, applicants with a prerequisite GPA below 2.8 are generally not considered competitive"

It's like the more you read SDN, the more you believe GPA and NAPLEX pass rates are all that matters.

Reactions: 1 user
2.5 or 2.8 are fairly common minimum GPAs even for established/"top" schools that can be pickier. Most average GPAs of entering classes I see are around 3.5.

UNC:
"The minimum GPA we will consider is a 2.5."

UCSF:

Cumulative Low 2.8, Avg 3.5, High 4.0
Science Low 2.22, Avg 3.42, High 4.0

UMich:
View attachment 306117

UW:
  • "While there is no established minimum Cumulative GPA requirement, applicants with a Cumulative GPA below 2.8 are generally not considered competitive
  • Cumulative GPA is calculated using grades from ALL college or university-level coursework"
  • "While there is no established minimum prerequisite GPA requirement, applicants with a prerequisite GPA below 2.8 are generally not considered competitive"

It's like the more you read SDN, the more you believe GPA and NAPLEX pass rates are all that matters.
With respect to pharmacy school in this job market, they don’t care as long you got loans. Maybe 5 years ago, schools would look at other factors besides GPA, but not anymore. This is not medical school where a GPA and MCAT cuttoff matters and where other EC factors and the timing of those other EC factors matter.

What is wrong with accepting students directly from community college?
I went to the best COP in the state directly from community college. That was 10 years ago.