Lowest MCAT accepted for DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is probably a stupid question becuase nothing is for certain but I just want something to take away my anxiety or maybe I will have to just face it. I'm 20 years old and have a bachelor's in General Biology from UMD. I graduated high school a year early and college a semester early so you can see my drive and motivation. I've been getting very low 20s MCAT score, my latest being a 22 and I'm taking the MCAT in a week so I know there won't be any life changing scores most likely. I have a cGPA 3.6, only one C in orgo 2 lab, and my science gpa is close to 3 i think since it's mostly Bs.
I have a *hard time at doing well on standardized test...my sat score was 1540/2400 and I still got into UMD and graduated with a 3.6 and a science gpa of 3.36. I'm hoping I could bring this up at an interview to show that though my score is low, I am a diligent student and I won't flunk out.
I've volunteered at the hospital and at the national MS society. I've also done an internship at shady grove hospital where I shadowed various departments of the hospital and also watched surgeries. I've been on the basketball team and volleyball team in my ethnic community and done various other organizations all relating to my ethnicity including scouts all for more like 7 years (unlike my medically related stuff). After my MCAT im going to apply to become a scribe and do an internship in Armenia this summer for 6 weeks, shadowing a doctor in the hospital.
Is there any way I'll get into a DO school? :oops:
Also, if you think there is anything I could say or emphasize during an interview, I'd appreciate the advice!
Thanks for listening to my desperate plea lol I'm hoping it will calm me down and just encourage me that everything will be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is probably a stupid question becuase nothing is for certain but I just want something to take away my anxiety or maybe I will have to just face it. I'm 20 years old and have a bachelor's in General Biology from UMD. I graduated high school a year early and college a semester early so you can see my drive and motivation. I've been getting very low 20s MCAT score, my latest being a 22 and I'm taking the MCAT in a week so I know there won't be any life changing scores most likely. I have a cGPA 3.6, only one C in orgo 2 lab, and my science gpa is close to 3 i think since it's mostly Bs.
I have a *hard time at doing well on standardized test...my sat score was 1540/2400 and I still got into UMD and graduated with a 3.6 and a science gpa of 3.36. I'm hoping I could bring this up at an interview to show that though my score is low, I am a diligent student and I won't flunk out.
I've volunteered at the hospital and at the national MS society. I've also done an internship at shady grove hospital where I shadowed various departments of the hospital and also watched surgeries. I've been on the basketball team and volleyball team in my ethnic community and done various other organizations all relating to my ethnicity including scouts all for more like 7 years (unlike my medically related stuff). After my MCAT im going to apply to become a scribe and do an internship in Armenia this summer for 6 weeks, shadowing a doctor in the hospital.
Is there any way I'll get into a DO school? :oops:
Also, if you think there is anything I could say or emphasize during an interview, I'd appreciate the advice!
Thanks for listening to my desperate plea lol I'm hoping it will calm me down and just encourage me that everything will be fine.

A) You can't cross post...
B) Relax, keep preparing for the MCAT, you are working yourself up to fail.
C) We have no idea if you can get into medical school, you don't have your MCAT yet and there are a lot of other factors that contribute.

Relax, best of luck on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know several people who are currently in medical school with an MCAT below 20 - both at DO and at MD schools. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

I know this is old, but can you list these MD schools that took those students with MCAT below 20? feel free to send it in private... thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Surprisingly there are sub 20s that get in every year to MD and DO programs.
These people are weird exceptions and you shouldn't bank on it

Surprisingly there are sub 20s that get in every year to MD and DO programs.
These people are weird exceptions and you shouldn't bank on it

Sounds like hard to find! especially for an MD

I wouldn't base my entire future on, is there a school that just might overlook something bad on my application when I am competing against 5000+ others for a spot. I've also seen stories of sub-20's getting in but with each case you can almost always with enough details understand why (money, friends/relatives, Nobel Prize at age 14, etc).

realistically you need a 30 for MD and a 28 for DO

No? Go look in the underdogs thread, so many people with <28 that have gotten in. I'm just saying, realistically, you do NOT need these scores. 28 is around the average MCAT for a wonderful school like DMU. Average means half of the entire class got <28.

I wouldn't base my entire future on, is there a school that just might overlook something bad on my application when I am competing against 5000+ others for a spot. I've also seen stories of sub-20's getting in but with each case you can almost always with enough details understand why (money, friends/relatives, Nobel Prize at age 14, etc).

I fully understand, the problem is schools keep disregarding an entire education history and basing most decisions on the MCAT.. I have a 4.0 gpa Post bac, I speak 4 languages, was a CEO, traveled all over the world and I am non traditional student so on the older side,, yet most schools rejected ms based on a low MCAT since English is not my first lang!! so, at this point I want to consider the lowest tier MD schools any can suggest!

I fully understand, the problem is schools keep disregarding an entire education history and basing most decisions on the MCAT.. I have a 4.0 gpa Post bac, I speak 4 languages, was a CEO, traveled all over the world and I am non traditional student so on the older side,, yet most schools rejected ms based on a low MCAT since English is not my first lang!! so, at this point I want to consider the lowest tier MD schools any can suggest!

You will find that a huge challenge. I have a long list of accomplishments behind my name as well and found many many MD programs not that friendly to older non-traditionals or those with issues. DO schools do tend to be different. Have you considered a DO, assuming you want to practice in the US.

No? Go look in the underdogs thread, so many people with <28 that have gotten in. I'm just saying, realistically, you do NOT need these scores. 28 is around the average MCAT for a wonderful school like DMU. Average means half of the entire class got <28.

No. You mean median, not average.

The average for DMU is probably 29 now for this cycle. If you have just average EC's and GPA, then you better get a better MCAT than their average.

https://www.dmu.edu/do/class-profile/

Class of 2019.
Academic performance 3.65 average cumulative GPA
3.61 average science GPA
MCAT: 28.8 average MCAT score
Experience: All students have medically related experience emphasizing patient contact.

And there is a good possibility you can get into DO school with below a 28. However, you'll still need to excel in other areas too to become accepted, unless you're applying to new schools. When it comes to medical school, you don't want to apply with "average stats." Those in the underdog thread who got accepted are lucky. That's why it is called 'underdog.' Nobody wants to be in that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You will find that a huge challenge. I have a long list of accomplishments behind my name as well and found many many MD programs not that friendly to older non-traditionals or those with issues. DO schools do tend to be different. Have you considered a DO, assuming you want to practice in the US.

I just looked at DOs and I would want to practice in the US and overseas,, But since its almost the end of the cycle I am wondering if I should wait and apply early next cycle

I just looked at DOs and I would want to practice in the US and overseas,, But since its almost the end of the cycle I am wondering if I should wait and apply early next cycle

Just apply next cycle early. It's too late now.

Yeah wait until June. What are your stats?

No. You mean median, not average.

The average for DMU is probably 29 now for this cycle. If you have just average EC's and GPA, then you better get a better MCAT than their average.

https://www.dmu.edu/do/class-profile/

Class of 2019.
Academic performance 3.65 average cumulative GPA
3.61 average science GPA
MCAT: 28.8 average MCAT score
Experience: All students have medically related experience emphasizing patient contact.

And there is a good possibility you can get into DO school with below a 28. However, you'll still need to excel in other areas too to become accepted, unless you're applying to new schools. When it comes to medical school, you don't want to apply with "average stats." Those in the underdog thread who got accepted are lucky. That's why it is called 'underdog.' Nobody wants to be in that position.

Very true! :D

Just meant your MCAT score is not what defines you in your app and plenty of people have realistically gotten in with <28

I know this is old, but can you list these MD schools that took those students with MCAT below 20? feel free to send it in private... thank you
8 years later :laugh:
No MD if you scored below 20.
Realistically no DO either.

The lowest MCAT score that led to admission at an allopathic school is 17.

18106400id2.jpg
I have a 3.9 overall gpa from my Masters of Science. I have a 3.4 overall science gpa and a 489 (124 on CARS) on the new MCAT. URM. Attended very highly ranked schools. Six years of research experience. 2 years clinical experience. Lots of volunteering. Do I have a chance?

18 will get you into tcom
I have a 3.9 overall gpa from my Masters of Science. I have a 3.4 overall science gpa and a 489 (124 on CARS) on the new MCAT. URM. Attended very highly ranked schools. Six years of research experience. 2 years clinical experience. Lots of volunteering. Do I have a chance?

Not a chance.

Retake MCAT and get at the least at 500 and you'd have a limited chance at DO. Otherwise unless you have something magical going for you snowballs chance in a mortuary incinerator.
Not a chance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Retake your MCAT and aim for >500. If you don't quite make it, you may still have a chance if you apply wisely. I got into DO and MD schools with a 494, so don't quit just because people tell you that you have no chance. Best of luck to you!

Retake your MCAT and aim for >500. If you don't quite make it, you may still have a chance if you apply wisely. I got into DO and MD schools with a 494, so don't quit just because people tell you that you have no chance. Best of luck to you!
Hi, do you mind sharing what schools you were accepted to and if there was anything else on your application that was a big reason for acceptance to both MD and DO? Thanks!

Hi, do you mind sharing what schools you were accepted to and if there was anything else on your application that was a big reason for acceptance to both MD and DO? Thanks!

He literally is a special agent. That's what we like to call "a difference maker" unless you have something of similar uniqueness it would be very difficult to gather an acceptance with below a 500

He literally is a special agent. That's what we like to call "a difference maker" unless you have something of similar uniqueness it would be very difficult to gather an acceptance with below a 500
Wow, that takes the whole "difference" thing to a whole other level

The "lowest" accepted MCAT can vary greatly when you take GPA into consideration. For instance, if one student has a 3.0-3.2 c/sGPA, and gets 500 on the MCAT, it's going to be hard for him/her to get into any DO school.

On the other hand, if someone has GPA's of 3.5+ and gets a 500 on the MCAT, he/she will have a pretty solid shot of getting into at least 10 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I think my employment is the most unique aspect of my application. In my application, I tried to highlight much of my role as one of altruism and service and relate that to my desire to learn how to treat patients and disease.

In an effort to retain anonymity once school starts, as people there will eventually find out about my specific background and I don't wish for my stats to be commonly known there, I can't publicly name the schools. The DO school is a southern one that has graduated a few classes and the MD school is, unfortunately, one of the top 5 most expensive according to MSAR. Im likely to attend the MD school.

Note that special agent does not = secret agent so it may not be the James Bond job you think makes it so unique. Regrettably, I don't spend most of my days making contacts in foreign countries and chasing international spies to gather intelligence for the Prez. While special agents do spend significant time abroad and get the opportunity to covertly prevent attacks and target the sources of their funding and genesis, a lot of our time is spent working domestically doing a normal 7-6 job, though still with the same goal in mind.

I know its little old but can you share in private what schools you got accepted to pls?

8 years later :laugh:
No MD if you scored below 20.
Realistically no DO either.

Sucks but true. I know a 40 year old MD that got in with a 25 MCAT and according to him it was a lot more common back then. Sadly now if you make a 25 your auto rejected from MD and circling the drain for DO

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sucks but true. I know a 40 year old MD that got in with a 25 MCAT and according to him it was a lot more common back then. Sadly now if you make a 25 your auto rejected from MD and circling the drain for DO

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If he grew up in the 1990's instead he would have gotten a 30 on the MCAT instead. MCAT means have been going up not because people are getting smarter every year.

I took my first two years at a community college, and then transferred to UCSD (one of the top biology programs in the country) and I can say without a doubt community college was harder. UCSD curves were a joke. Classes were curved to a "B-", top 20% got A's. Answers were practically given out to students at discussion sections. I cant speak for every college, but for me, my community college was definitely harder than my prestigious university.

Also, the university is full of brunt out high school nerds who got a 4.4. A lot of them have great study habits, but really aren't that smart. They can memorize, but can't think critically. I felt my community college classmates in my biology classes were just as intelligent and capable as my classmates at the university.

At UCSD, I was a TA for mammalian physiology, and you wouldn't believe how little upper division biology students actually knew about biology. The questions they would ask shocked me.

Again, this is just my experience/opinion. It may be far from the norm...

This is a problem in your comparison for a number of reasons. (Hi btw, I also go to UCSD :p ) AND I've gone to 3 UC's over the years, UCSC, UCSD, UCLA(Summer only)
1) Every person I have met that has transferred from community college says one of two things.
-It is way easier being in community college
-It is harder being in community college
(Keep in mind, this is from around 50+ people I've met from it, so rather small sample size)
One thing that is pretty much true through all students is that their grades show only one trend. They usually had far higher grades in community college rather then UCSD(BUT sometimes, they had the same overall grades, so 3.7 in CC and 3.7 in UC). Even the ones claiming that community college was harder, the grades don't justify their statement. They had a 3.8 GPA in community college with almost straight A's BUT could barely keep a 3.0(usually under) in the UC. Of course there are a variety of factors but basically, all students had one thing in common. The community college grades either were the same as their UC grades OR(and usually) they were lower. I have never seen a 3.8 UCSD(or any UC school) GPA but a 3.0 community college GPA. Are there students that sometimes have higher grades at UC schools? Possibly but its extremely rare for that to occur.

2) It also heavily depends on which teachers you took to get those grades(IF you even got the same grades you got at community college). If you are attending UCSD, then you know of the extreme differences in teachers of OChem 140 series. 140A is a great example where Bertrand's average for 140A class was a 90% for the first midterm and in the end, was an average of 85%. But Ternansky's class averaged around a 35% the first exam and the curve was MASSIVE. Again you could easily get an A in the first one but the second, you had to be the elite to get it because he did not give many A's out.

Anyways, long story short. I bet you are either in one of two camps
1) You got the same grades in community college as you did in UCSD(more or less), which most likely means in any college, you would of done well because you are an exceptional student.
2) You got worse grades in UCSD than in community college, but you are somehow arguing that UCSD is easier because for some reason, you think of it as an easier school.

I doubt you have higher grades in UCSD overall and if you do, then you are the first I have ever met in my entire time.

In my opinion... GPA >>> MCAT.

Yes, the MCAT is given nationally. That's probably the only good thing about it. It leaves too much open to chance.

1. Did you get a test with a lot of material you knew well?
2. Did you get a test that was calculation heavy? Or rather, concept heavy?
3. Were you feeling well that day?
4. Are you a traditional student who dedicated your undivided time to studying for the MCAT?
5. As Chocolate Bear mentioned, did you know the "tricks" of the MCAT?

I would much rather have a student with a good track record than the several possibilities leading to an MCAT score.
I severely disagree with this statement just on the sole post I made above. The teachers have SUCH drastic variation, how could you ever use a GPA as an indicator? I mean the MCAT is standardized which means everyone is taking the exact same test. Also the points you made are kind of odd.
1) What are the odds of this? So I'm just studying one section of every book and POSSIBLY i got all my sections? The statistical chance of this is so unlikely
2) I have heard that they severly balance all tests to allow fairness. Essentially they aren't going to give one MCAT that is only calculations and another that is only conceptual.
3) This is true for everything. What if I was feeling bad for school on a final? It could hurt my grades.
4) This is obviously another difference. Are you a traditional student who can dedicate undivided time to school?
5) There are tricks for school as well.Studying for every class, note taking, and I even used MCAT tips on my regular schools and aced the classes.

I mean the problem with the points imo is that the first 2, are statistically unlikely to happen. As in getting super lucky for the test.
The last 3 can be applied to my undergraduate career.

Again GPA varies so much for it to be the biggest factor imo. Because of such variation, you can't get much out of it.
Simply, would you take a
Student 1: 3.9/501
Student 2: 3.45/515
Gets even more complex if you bring into light the school difference,which I won't because it even causes MORE variation.