Lowest MCAT accepted for DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddy15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys know anyone or someone who had a really low mcat score and still got into a DO school. I've heard of stories but maybe u guys can give me some hope! I really hope so. I have a 3.7 GPA and everything else is good with my application, just my sucky mcat score! So, I'd like to hear some stories or people who have gotten in with low scores. And can you guys tell me what DO schools should I apply to that accept low mcat scores or are the easiest to get into so I have an idea??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got in with a 23. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Most people who have gotten in with low-20's MCATs have extenuating circumstances that they can convince the adcoms won't be a problem when they start med school, or they are exceptional in many other areas of their application.

Or they are hot chicks. Like really hot.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you have some degree of evidence that you can score in the mid-twenties this time. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend retaking it until you do. What is the trend in your full-length practice tests? Are you consistantly scoring in the range you want? If not, you should reconsider the retake and fix the problems you are having. A sub-twenty score means to me that you are either very weak in your basic sciences and/or there is some big issue with your test taking strategy.

i would probably try to take it again, at least start studying again, until you receive you new score. a score under 24, is difficult to gain admissions, but possible. On the bright side you can probably take the test in august or september if you want. I would consider a prep course

The lowest MCAT score that led to admission at an allopathic school is 17.

18106400id2.jpg

Last edited:
How in the world do you have a 3.7 but you can't score above an 18 on the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
that shamwow commercial is funny as hell. Its funny when they interview the lady about it you can see the same guy in the background under a tent trying to sell it. It seems like a one man show. Also, why doesnt he take the microphone off? maybe it's glued to his head.

retake the MCAT if you have only taken it once. Dont listen to VCOM being MCAT friendly and apply broadly. These are my bits of advice

Touro schools wont consider you unless you have at least a 23.
The same idea is being used at AT Still campuses, although they do not have it written in stone as do the Touro campuses.
I have a feeling the min. MCAT is rising across the boards though...there is enough competition these days where a 24 is no longer considered normal (from people who advocated "straight eights" on each section of the MCAT).
I have an idea though, it might sound crazy, but I think anyone can do it: S-T-U-D-Y ! (visit the MCAT discussion board for more details on this)
...so, good luck with that! :luck:

Just got accepted with 19L, 3.2GPA, only took MCAT once and applied because I was told it was possible. Had a great interview (as told by admissions director), great LOR's, good extracurriculars. I AM a traditional student (22yrs old), chem kicked my butt several times, but the last two years of college I had a 3.7. I was told that the major reason for my acceptance was that my interviewer sensed my drive to become a D.O. and help others and my grades the last two years. So it is possible and my name ItzaMiracle, says it all, I'm blessed. Good luck all, don't let anyone deter you, I got in with a 19L.

Reactions: 1 users
ItzaMiracle, indeed.

Good luck at NYCOM.

shamwow that must have been hard!

Members don't see this ad :)

Sexual favors? Professors need loving too!

In reality unless english is his second language and he is bombing verbal, I always wonder this too.

I hear people can get in w/ 20s but I'm not sure about the teens. Make sure you have good volunteer experiences

I personally know several people who are currently in medical school with an MCAT below 20 - both at DO and at MD schools. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

I personally know several people who are currently in medical school with an MCAT below 20 - both at DO and at MD schools. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

I'm really surprised. Good for them though. They must have had extraordinary applications.

Not so extraordinary as others I've seen that were rejected. Some of those folks are doing well... some, well.. some are struggling. But all are still in medical school.

All of them are outstanding at presenting themselves and pleading their cases.

Not so extraordinary as others I've seen that were rejected. Some of those folks are doing well... some, well.. some are struggling. But all are still in medical school.

All of them are outstanding at presenting themselves and pleading their cases.

I'm sure they have excellent puppy dog eye expressions as well. Some people are just gifted at swinging things in their favor. I, unfortunately, am not one of them.

Just got accepted with 19L, 3.2GPA, only took MCAT once and applied because I was told it was possible. Had a great interview (as told by admissions director), great LOR's, good extracurriculars. I AM a traditional student (22yrs old), chem kicked my butt several times, but the last two years of college I had a 3.7. I was told that the major reason for my acceptance was that my interviewer sensed my drive to become a D.O. and help others and my grades the last two years. So it is possible and my name ItzaMiracle, says it all, I'm blessed. Good luck all, don't let anyone deter you, I got in with a 19L.
Congrats and where did you get in?

18 will get you into tcom

its interesting to see the reception of this OP compared to futurepharm21. they pretty much asked the exact same question. for some reason, this OP asked it in a way that didn't make you want to throw your computer at the wall.

it might have something to do w/ the fact that this OP has taken the MCAT and is asking the question b/c it pertains to his/her situation. In contrast to futurepharm who hasnt entered college yet let alone took a pre med course or MCAT.

I'm going with the assumption that you haven't applied yet...

So, if that is the case then you could just apply with whatever you get this time (hopefully something in the 20s) and see what happens. Stay even keeled and do your best going through the application process. In the event that if you dont make the cut, ask the admission offices for their advice to make your application better. This way your working on your whole package and not just your MCAT. Of course if it comes down to just the MCAT then study your A:beat::diebanana: off and get a better score. Good luck.

Don't be so sure about that - for fall 2007 entering class (newer stuff is not up on the website), avg gpa was 3.56 and mean MCAT was 27.3. Range on MCAT for 2006 was 20-35 with average 27 and 2007 range was 19-40. I still think 19 is about 6 points too low...

This info can be found at http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/enteringclassstats.cfm

Don't know where you are getting 18 from, unless it is newer data than found on the website (or that is what you got in with)...

I was reading tonight and several of the schools all had IDEAL MCAT scores (cut-offs) yet many of them also included something along these lines, "Anything under these numbers are taken on a case by case basis" I think nothing is written in stone. OK, so thats what I understand so far. I could be totally wrong.

I also just took the MCAT a third time on May 27 and waiting for my scores but it was really hard!!!

Why didn't you wait until your practice scores were in the range that you wanted? If you're consistently scoring 18 on practices, you're probably not going to end up with a 23 on the real one, although hopefully you do.

Practice scores mean crap to me any more. I learned the hard way.

Now I have anti-anxiety pillz though.

edit

Last edited:

I have a friend who gained admission to an osteo school with an 18 mcat / 3.9 gpa. I don't understand it either.

I have a friend who gained admission to an osteo school with an 18 mcat / 3.9 gpa. I don't understand it either.

How in the world do you have a 39 and a 2.84, I just don't understand it. ;)

**** happens . . . some people screw up in school, some screw up on the MCAT and some screw up on both . . . that's just life. You never know people's reasons for having low GPA's or MCAT scores, so it's hard to judge. :)

I am a reapplicant this cycle, I graduated with a 3.7 from and science and engineering focused university, but have been unable to score better than an 18P on the MCAT. For me it is a sense of anxiety every time I take it. The first time was rough because I was recovering from an illness. I didn't even get an interview last cycle, but I have tweaked my application, added some experience, volunteer work, refocused my entire approach.
I'm hoping that persistance and dedication will pay off.

I am a reapplicant this cycle, I graduated with a 3.7 from and science and engineering focused university, but have been unable to score better than an 18P on the MCAT. For me it is a sense of anxiety every time I take it. The first time was rough because I was recovering from an illness. I didn't even get an interview last cycle, but I have tweaked my application, added some experience, volunteer work, refocused my entire approach.
I'm hoping that persistance and dedication will pay off.

How many times have you taken it? I don't see any way an 18 will cut it.

You really have to get used to standardized Tests if you are pursuing this career. I'd study my ass off for a long time, and not retake it until I am scoring in the mid-twenties.

Do you know someone that got in to TCOM with an 18? What alse did they have on their application? TCOM is my first choice DO school.

Which school did you get accepted to?

How is this even possible?? The median score on that test is 24-25. Not to sound insulting, but since a career in medicine is focused around standardized exams, what are the adcoms thinking when they grant acceptance to the aforementioned individuals? Ultimatley, it sounds like they're setting one up for failure.

How is this even possible?? The median score on that test is 24-25. Not to sound insulting, but since a career in medicine is focused around standardized exams, what are the adcoms thinking when they grant acceptance to the aforementioned individuals? Ultimatley, it sounds like they're setting one up for failure.
I agree. And most of these people are struggling, many repeating years due to too many failed classes. I don't want to sound mean, but med school is not a walk in the park. If you have difficulty on something as straight forward as the MCAT (unless there are significant extenuating circumstances that are not ongoing issues), there is a high probability you will have significant problems in medical school and on boards.

Now before y'all go flaming me on that, there are of course exceptions. In my pitiful sample size (n~20-25), I'd say 10% are successful, not needing to repeat courses and passing boards first time. There are of course people who are successful in medical school despite an MCAT under the median. But they are not the norm.

it just seems like they would be screened out pre-secondary just like GPA. Do any schools only pre-screen GPA and not MCAT?

You're in at NYCOM? That gives me hope since I applied there too.

I'm just going to throw this out there because let's all be honest, I LOVE to see myself make a point.

I've known a few friends that had horrendously high GPAs and scored in the low 20s or below on the 'CATs. Success on the MCAT comes down to preparedness for the test ITSELF. When you bang out As in all of your science courses you may think, "F*ck. I've got this handled."

The problem comes about in that notion. The MCAT isn't necessarily completely based around fact. You have to practice taking the test because it's all a game. There are strategic ways in which they word questions, etc. The science is all basic bull, anyway. You have to practice for the test, not the info.

Arrogance--except, apparently, when trying to hollar at someone in the clubs--won't get you anywhere.

I'm going to have to agree with the above. A wise man once said that "mastery of content is nowhere near as important as speed, and mastery of the test itself."

Oh, wait. That was me.

Arrogance can also be a powerful tool, however. Though not as good as literally having a powerful tool, it can help you on the MCAT. I think that fear of failure is a major problem among pre-meds, and if there is anything athletics has taught me, its that you can't be afraid to fail. Mike Krzyzewski told me that. And yes, its spelled right. If you are relaxed and confident on test day, everything will be much easier.

In my past life, I was headed for a career in either college basketball coaching or strength & conditioning. The strength coach I worked for at UT had binders full of sports psychology and motivational ****, so that our athletes wouldn't choke.

Don't ****ing choke.

Posted via Mobile Device

Threads like this make me wonder if maybe it was a good thing I didn't discover SDN until AFTER I took the MCAT.

You guys make that test sound like the most awful and daunting thing in the world.

I think I agree with TT that you are all just getting too worked up and it is hurting your performance. Just chill.

I think I agree with TT that you are all just getting too worked up and it is hurting your performance. Just chill.
In some situations when this happens, you can just say "I swear this has never happened to me before. I've just been under a lot of stress lately." and it will buy you some extra time to get it right. On the MCAT, you've got to wait another month or so to try again. And it really sucks if you were actually prepared, but you just blew it because you got too worked up.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

I know that you guys are talking about the MCAT but what is the lowest GPA they will accept? I have a cum 3.07 and science 2.79 and it is slowly sucking the life out of me. Do I even have a chance?!

I know that you guys are talking about the MCAT but what is the lowest GPA they will accept? I have a cum 3.07 and science 2.79 and it is slowly sucking the life out of me. Do I even have a chance?!

Try to improve your a gpa, but a strong mcat can help you a lot. There a few schools with sci gpa cutoffs so watch out for them. You can get in with a goos mcat

You need to retake just a couple (2-3) science classes to get you above the 3.0 mark, assuming you can turn a few F's into A's. If it's B's and C's, it'll take a few more classes. Check out the GPA calculation spreadsheet to figure out how to attack this. AACOMAS only uses the most recent grade to calculate, so you need to wait to apply to the schools with cutoffs at 3.0 until after you can retake. Otherwise they'll auto reject you. So apply now/ASAP to schools with cutoffs below your GPA or no cutoffs at all, and wait to apply to the others until you surpass their cutoff. :thumbup:

An 18 on the mcat is not a sufficient score even for D.O schools. But the 3.7 gpa definitely helps since its way above what you need for osteo schools. Get at least a 22 and you might have a shot.