Lowest MCAT score acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leiahbabii

Reaction score
Posting here because I’m sure the correct category.

I received my mcat back today and feel absolutely terrible. I prefer not to share but I’m curious what’s the lowest mcat scores you’ve ever heard of getting accepted? I have 2 more interviews coming up but I’m sure I won’t get one of them now based on the mcat. My gpa is 3.5 & LORs, extra curriculars, health care background, etc are all great, I just feel like the mcat is holding me back now. This was my first taking it as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Posting here because I’m sure the correct category.

I received my mcat back today and feel absolutely terrible. I prefer not to share but I’m curious what’s the lowest mcat scores you’ve ever heard of getting accepted? I have 2 more interviews coming up but I’m sure I won’t get one of them now based on the mcat. My gpa is 3.5 This was my first taking it as well.
Any school with a spot open will still take you.

The problem is not getting in- even with a low MCAT score.
The problem is getting in and staying in. Passing boards. Keeping GPA high enough to get a decent residency.

You may still get provisional offers. I.El. offer but with MCAT retake with score of above XYZ.

I suggest you pick a retake date, but still keep all of your upcoming interviews.

After all of your interviews are over, dedicate 2 months of studying to the MCAT to get your score as high as you can. If you need a cutoff- aim for 500.

You should not be asking if you can get in somewhere.
You should be asking yourself "How do I train to beat standardized testing right NOW, so I can be ready to do well while in podiatry school?"

Reactions: 5 users
You have been given good advice. You will probably get in somewhere.

Unfortunately there is a correlation with a low MCAT and not being a top student, being a bit more likely not to pass boards while in school and not passing surgical boards after residency. Many of the better residencies want the better students.

The students that flunked out in my class were weaker test takers that studied as hard as everyone else.

The problem is unlike many professions just getting into and graduating from podiatry school is often not good enough. The job market is not wonderful. You really do not want to be a bottom feeder in this profession.

In many other professions graduating lower or even last in your class is not a big deal. Many would have been much better off becoming a RN, then possibly going on later to be a NP or getting an MBA or MHA and going into management versus flunking out or struggling and being a bottom feeder in podiatry.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any school with a spot open will still take you.

The problem is not getting in- even with a low MCAT score.
The problem is getting in and staying in. Passing boards. Keeping GPA high enough to get a decent residency.

You may still get provisional offers. I.El. offer but with MCAT retake with score of above XYZ.

I suggest you pick a retake date, but still keep all of your upcoming interviews.

After all of your interviews are over, dedicate 2 months of studying to the MCAT to get your score as high as you can. If you need a cutoff- aim for 500.

You should not be asking if you can get in somewhere.
You should be asking yourself "How do I train to beat standardized testing right NOW, so I can be ready to do well while in podiatry school?"

thank you weirdy! I also remember you from a couple of years ago. I appreciate the feedback.

weirdy is right on the dot.
I couldn’t believe how many tests we take. Used to it now but there’s a reason 10-15% of student drop between us and the DO students. Not because they don’t study and know the material but they can’t take an exam

Oh wow that’s good to know. Thanks for the honesty

You have been given good advice. You will probably get in somewhere.

Unfortunately there is a correlation with a low MCAT and not being a top student, being a bit more likely not to pass boards while in school and not passing surgical boards after residency. Many of the better residencies want the better students.

The students that flunked out in my class were weaker test takers that studied as hard as everyone else.

The problem is unlike many professions just getting into and graduating from podiatry school is often not good enough. The job market is not wonderful. You really do not want to be a bottom feeder in this profession.

In many other professions graduating lower or even last in your class is not a big deal. Many would have been much better off becoming a RN, then possibly going on later to be a NP or getting an MBA or MHA and going into management versus flunking out or struggling and being a bottom feeder in podiatry.

Thank you icebreaker. I did end up getting an acceptance today but you are definitely on the money. Pod is definitely not about the money for me (I’m currently a surgical tech and seen every specialty so far and traveled tech as well and made thousands a week), I love podiatry for the impact it had in my families life and from all the positive feedback I’ve received from this specialty so far.

One bad exam shouldn’t break me but I will definitely work hard in med school.

What do you think made them fail after multiple attempts if you don’t mind me asking? I definitely need the advice

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you icebreaker. I did end up getting an acceptance today but you are definitely on the money. Pod is definitely not about the money for me (I’m currently a surgical tech and seen every specialty so far and traveled tech as well and made thousands a week), I love podiatry for the impact it had in my families life and from all the positive feedback I’ve received from this specialty so far.

What do you think made them fail after multiple attempts if you don’t mind me asking? I definitely need the advice

Congrats and good luck. Study hard for the boards. Those exams are no joke given the statistics.

+10000000 everything @Weirdy said above.

What do you think made them fail after multiple attempts if you don’t mind me asking? I definitely need the adviice
Yes, one bad test should not define you.

Podiatry school is not selective, but is harder than many people anticipate. Landing a great residency or a great job is also harder than one might expect.

The only thing I can mention about the students that failed out was that they were not good test takers, but most were actually very hard workers. Sometimes it is one class that gives someone a problem, but all too often it was the same group of students that tried hard, but were not good enough at difficult tests despite studying. We had some lazy students also that still partied like it was college, they were just good enough test takes and got all Cs.

It sounds like you are set on podiatry. I am not trying to talk you out of it and wish you the best. Your background might help you standout on rotations and could potentially be a source of income moonlighting if ever necessary.

We are just being honest that getting into podiatry schools is the easiest part of this journey. The great majority make it through school. Some residencies are better than others and the job market is not good and actually really bad compared to most healthcare professions.

I hope you do well enough in school. I kind of feel with your background and numbers being down you will get a good enough residency.

Are you potentially willing to take a job making less than you do now after residency, then open your own office?

If you are doing this, then it will soon be best to stay off this forum as much as possible and work as hard as you can until you are in residency. The information on here is not bad, but it will not help you that much between now and then. Your hard work is what will help you the most.

Last edited:
Yes I have seen a few negative post about podiatry becoming over saturated or not what people “expected it to be”. I will be weary of certain instances for sure. I’ve been lingering on these forums for about 2 years now seeing everyone’s perspective.

My goal would ultimately be more surgery focused but definitely have some clinic time as well. The pods I work with now are private practice (separate from each other), but still get block schedules in surgery and knock out about 4-5 cases a day. They mentioned making their own schedules and enjoying work/life balance. I’m pushing 30 and don’t have kids yet and will be a while so I would one day like to enjoy something like that even if I wasn’t the best paid.

And wow that’s wild that students would party and just barely get by. I seriously assumed everyone was focused on school and kinda had no life, especially during the first 2 years. But I guess you gotta have fun somewhere. Did they ever learn to overcome their testing problems? Do you know what made you successful in certain classes that you could share?

Yes, one bad test should not define you.

Podiatry school is not selective, but is harder than many people anticipate. Landing a great residency or a great job is also harder than one might expect.

The only thing I can mention about the students that failed out was that they were not good test takers, but most were actually very hard workers. Sometimes it is one class that gives someone a problem, but all too often it was the same group of students that tried hard, but were not good enough at difficult tests despite studying. We had some lazy students also that still partied like it was college, they were just good enough test takes and got all Cs.

It sounds like you are set on podiatry. I am not trying to talk you out of it and wish you the best. Your background might help you standout on rotations and could potentially be a source of income moonlighting if ever necessary.

We are just being honest that getting into podiatry schools is the easiest part of this journey. The great majority make it through school. Some residencies are better than others and the job market is not good and actually really bad compared to most healthcare professions.

I hope you do well enough in school. I kind of feel with your background and numbers being down you will get a good enough residency.

Are you potentially willing to take a job making less than you do now after residency, then open your own office?

If you are doing this, then it will soon be best to stay off this forum as much as possible and work as hard as you can until you are in residency. The information on here is not bad, but it will not help you that much between now and then. Your hard work is what will help you the most.

Also thank you for replying!

Congrats and good luck. Study hard for the boards. Those exams are no joke given the statistics.

+10000000 everything @Weirdy said above.

Thank you very much! Are you currently a student or are you in residency now? Do you also have any tips you could share with me?

Thank you very much! Are you currently a student or are you in residency now? Do you also have any tips you could share with me?
Finishing up 1st year. Most I've ever worked in my life. In terms of tips, it depends on the school. I would ask upper semesters for their strategy and attend tutoring sessions. Plan ahead to get rid of any distractions you may have because you will be studying most of the time. Treat it like a full time job, but take a breather after exams and do something nice for yourself.

Focus on yourself and not other people. Most people who fail out are either lazy, partied too much, or overly confident, although there are some exceptions who have personal stuff they have no control over.

End of the day there isn't any shortcut, everyone has to put in the work since the board examinations are the great equalizer... and that's $200k on the line. That alone is enough motivation to put in the long hours, although being competent is equally important because if podiatry is going to have any chance at parity someday people have to master their basic sciences and clinical skills to shine on the medical wards.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I have seen a few negative post about podiatry becoming over saturated or not what people “expected it to be”. I will be weary of certain instances for sure. I’ve been lingering on these forums for about 2 years now seeing everyone’s perspective.

My goal would ultimately be more surgery focused but definitely have some clinic time as well. The pods I work with now are private practice (separate from each other), but still get block schedules in surgery and knock out about 4-5 cases a day. They mentioned making their own schedules and enjoying work/life balance. I’m pushing 30 and don’t have kids yet and will be a while so I would one day like to enjoy something like that even if I wasn’t the best paid.

And wow that’s wild that students would party and just barely get by. I seriously assumed everyone was focused on school and kinda had no life, especially during the first 2 years. But I guess you gotta have fun somewhere. Did they ever learn to overcome their testing problems? Do you know what made you successful in certain classes that you could share?
No they largely did not overcome their testing problems. It was not that many....maybe half a dozen at most failed out. The ones that had problems had them very early on....like the first anatomy test early on and the problems continued for them often being at the bottom of the curve in the difficult classes. You can only remediate so many classes. There were a couple also that remediated a class or two and finished. Everyone's class is different, but in mine the one's that flunked out were not lazy. Very, very few in the bottom 25 percent of most classes ever became board certified in surgery also.

95 percent of podiatry students initially want to be surgically focused. There are limited good employed jobs, so many eventually start and build their own private practice and their surgical volume along with it. Podiatry is saturated compared to other specialties in that with many other healthcare professions good jobs are plentiful with recruitment and signing bonuses etc. Podiatry has always been this way so it is not like this is anything new with the profession.

The promoted positives of podiatry and what you were told from other podiatrists can be true when it all works out, but it is not like that lifestyle, income and surgical volume are waiting for you just because you finish a residency like in other medical specialties.

Opening your own practice can work out, but it is another huge risk after all those years of hard work, debt and sacrifice. It is not impossible to land a good job (some exist and some obviously get them), but it is certainly not guaranteed either.

What sums up podiatry the most is that the average salaries are probably fairly accurate you read about. It is just unlike many other professions few are making the average salary. Many are making a good deal above it and many are making below it. The benefits are not great on average either in private practice. So you have a large percent of podiatrists that things eventually work out well for with a nice income and lifestyle even if getting there was tough in the early years out. You also unfortunately have a high percentage that never did well enough to make this profession worth it. You will hear a lot of both sides on the forums.…..it is because there are a lot in both groups in this profession. There are not a lot on these forums not doing well, but many had tough early years out and have friends and acquaintances not doing well. Those doing well are not outliers and those not doing so well are not outliers either.

There will not be increased demand due to aging and diabetes that will open up great jobs for all. Everyone has the same training now also (some residencies are still better than others). You can still be an outlier with training with a better residency and potentially one of the better fellowships. Applicants being down for now might help a little for residency and jobs.

Those doing well have one or more of the following: stand out with their training (one of the better residencies and some even have a fellowship), have connections, try twice as hard during the job search and are geographically open, or they open their own practice or buy in somewhere and are an entrepreneur (or get into shady things).

There are many doing surgery that are not board certified in surgery. You should look up the pass rate for surgical boards in this profession both foot and rearfoot and realize that some that never end up doing much surgery and never even sign up to take those exams which are not in those statistics.Those not passing those type exams are often not good test takers. Those low pass rates are a problem in our profession, and again one can almost always do surgery, get on hospitals and insurances in most areas without being board certified in surgery. You can be board certified in medicine and usually get privilleges.

You are early in your career to worry about all this, just be aware the job search can be more difficult than most healthcare professions and many eventually open their own office or buy in as an owner. There are also plenty of private practices that either do not offer partnership or it is overpriced. These are first jobs for many and many do move on after a couple years for either a slightly better or much, much better job or open their own practice. You will learn all this in time if you enter the profession. Even though you should be aware of all this at least a little before you enroll, once you have decided on podiatry….for the first two years your next exam should be your largest concern and do not focus on all these other concerns on these forums....it might distract and depress you. For most there is no going back once you decide on podiatry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Boards failures:

Usually a few reasons.

1- Extenuating home or family circumstances that did not allow them to focus or have time to study for board exams. We are talking extenuating. Serious stuff that affects them and their immediate family.

2- Didn't study long/hard enough. They may have had the background knowledge but simply didn't put in enough time- all other things equal

3- Just didn't get it. Over thinkers. Stubborn thinkers. Smart people who didn't try to understand what the test was asking and what answer it
preferred. They didn't play the game in essence and couldn't figure out why their answer, although technically correct, was not what the test was asking for

Colleagues who were genuine hard workers and just plain good people passed no problem on their second attempts and had no problems passing boards part 2 first try as well. They excelled in residency. Others after multiple attempts quit altogether or moved on to another field.

I've seen party people get completely sloshed, cram for a few days, and still get As on all their exams.
I've seen hardworking people who study for weeks and slip by with a B or C.
I've seen top 10% of the class fail boards first time
I've seen bottom 30% of the class pass boards first time

For boards, if you put in the time and disciplined yourself, there should be no reason why you cannot pass- even if you are bottom 50% of the class. But you need to train and train hard. The harder you train, the easier the test feels. You will never feel ready, but you will feel comfortable taking it.

Edit: above is for Part 1 Part 2 in school. ABFAS board cert is an entirely different animal.

Last edited:
All the boards needed to graduate podiatry school and practice podiatry were very easy for the vast majority. There are always a couple that for whatever reason have a problem and yes for those it was a stressful situation I am sure.

The ABFAS exams after residency are a bit more difficult.

All the boards needed to graduate podiatry school and practice podiatry were very easy for the vast majority. There are always a couple that for whatever reason have a problem and yes for those it was a stressful situation I am sure.

The ABFAS exams after residency are a bit more difficult.
CPME.PNG

Finishing up 1st year. Most I've ever worked in my life. In terms of tips, it depends on the school. I would ask upper semesters for their strategy and attend tutoring sessions. Plan ahead to get rid of any distractions you may have because you will be studying most of the time. Treat it like a full time job, but take a breather after exams and do something nice for yourself.

Focus on yourself and not other people. Most people who fail out are either lazy, partied too much, or overly confident, although there are some exceptions who have personal stuff they have no control over.

End of the day there isn't any shortcut, everyone has to put in the work since the board examinations are the great equalizer... and that's $200k on the line. That alone is enough motivation to put in the long hours, although being competent is equally important because if podiatry is going to have any chance at parity someday people have to master their basic sciences and clinical skills to shine on the medical wards.

Very awesome! Do you mind me asking which program you matriculated in? Also since it’s treated like a full time job I’m assuming there’s no work at all? Not even work study? I’ve been so used to work and classes but I’m assuming there’s more than 4 classes at a time so that’s why all of the focus is school.

Also I can definitely do that. Only child and very introverted . And I understand that.

No they largely did not overcome their testing problems. It was not that many....maybe half a dozen at most failed out. The ones that had problems had them very early on....like the first anatomy test early on and the problems continued for them often being at the bottom of the curve in the difficult classes. You can only remediate so many classes. There were a couple also that remediated a class or two and finished. Everyone's class is different, but in mine the one's that flunked out were not lazy. Very, very few in the bottom 25 percent of most classes ever became board certified in surgery also.

95 percent of podiatry students initially want to be surgically focused. There are limited good employed jobs, so many eventually start and build their own private practice and their surgical volume along with it. Podiatry is saturated compared to other specialties in that with many other healthcare professions good jobs are plentiful with recruitment and signing bonuses etc. Podiatry has always been this way so it is not like this is anything new with the profession.

The promoted positives of podiatry and what you were told from other podiatrists can be true when it all works out, but it is not like that lifestyle, income and surgical volume are waiting for you just because you finish a residency like in other medical specialties.

Opening your own practice can work out, but it is another huge risk after all those years of hard work, debt and sacrifice. It is not impossible to land a good job (some exist and some obviously get them), but it is certainly not guaranteed either.

What sums up podiatry the most is that the average salaries are probably fairly accurate you read about. It is just unlike many other professions few are making the average salary. Many are making a good deal above it and many are making below it. The benefits are not great on average either in private practice. So you have a large percent of podiatrists that things eventually work out well for with a nice income and lifestyle even if getting there was tough in the early years out. You also unfortunately have a high percentage that never did well enough to make this profession worth it. You will hear a lot of both sides on the forums.…..it is because there are a lot in both groups in this profession. There are not a lot on these forums not doing well, but many had tough early years out and have friends and acquaintances not doing well. Those doing well are not outliers and those not doing so well are not outliers either.

There will not be increased demand due to aging and diabetes that will open up great jobs for all. Everyone has the same training now also (some residencies are still better than others). You can still be an outlier with training with a better residency and potentially one of the better fellowships. Applicants being down for now might help a little for residency and jobs.

Those doing well have one or more of the following: stand out with their training (one of the better residencies and some even have a fellowship), have connections, try twice as hard during the job search and are geographically open, or they open their own practice or buy in somewhere and are an entrepreneur (or get into shady things).

There are many doing surgery that are not board certified in surgery. You should look up the pass rate for surgical boards in this profession both foot and rearfoot and realize that some that never end up doing much surgery and never even sign up to take those exams which are not in those statistics.Those not passing those type exams are often not good test takers. Those low pass rates are a problem in our profession, and again one can almost always do surgery, get on hospitals and insurances in most areas without being board certified in surgery. You can be board certified in medicine and usually get privilleges.

You are early in your career to worry about all this, just be aware the job search can be more difficult than most healthcare professions and many eventually open their own office or buy in as an owner. There are also plenty of private practices that either do not offer partnership or it is overpriced. These are first jobs for many and many do move on after a couple years for either a slightly better or much, much better job or open their own practice. You will learn all this in time if you enter the profession. Even though you should be aware of all this at least a little before you enroll, once you have decided on podiatry….for the first two years your next exam should be your largest concern and do not focus on all these other concerns on these forums....it might distract and depress you. For most there is no going back once you decide on podiatry.

Thank you for this. Lots of details in this message and truth and I appreciate that.

Also I didn’t realize the population on here were being on the extreme good end or extreme bad.

Private practice is fairly risky. I thought some pods started out on hospital contracts just to get their foot in the door and find patients. Also if you join a practice that’s already a huge risk. Are there degrees in opening up private practices or just a certain route you’d have to take? Sorry for the details but that’s seriously good to know for the future.

Boards failures:

Usually a few reasons.

1- Extenuating home or family circumstances that did not allow them to focus or have time to study for board exams. We are talking extenuating. Serious stuff that affects them and their immediate family.

2- Didn't study long/hard enough. They may have had the background knowledge but simply didn't put in enough time- all other things equal

3- Just didn't get it. Over thinkers. Stubborn thinkers. Smart people who didn't try to understand what the test was asking and what answer it
preferred. They didn't play the game in essence and couldn't figure out why their answer, although technically correct, was not what the test was asking for

Colleagues who were genuine hard workers and just plain good people passed no problem on their second attempts and had no problems passing boards part 2 first try as well. They excelled in residency. Others after multiple attempts quit altogether or moved on to another field.

I've seen party people get completely sloshed, cram for a few days, and still get As on all their exams.
I've seen hardworking people who study for weeks and slip by with a B or C.
I've seen top 10% of the class fail boards first time
I've seen bottom 30% of the class pass boards first time

For boards, if you put in the time and disciplined yourself, there should be no reason why you cannot pass- even if you are bottom 50% of the class. But you need to train and train hard. The harder you train, the easier the test feels. You will never feel ready, but you will feel comfortable taking it.

Edit: above is for Part 1 Part 2 in school. ABFAS board cert is an entirely different animal.

I actually didn’t know you were able to retake ANYTHING (classes or boards) while in school. I just thought if you failed once you’d get kicked out or lose scholarships or something serious.

And okay thank you for telling me. It’s definitely about understanding material and finding the best learning methods

Thank you for this. Lots of details in this message and truth and I appreciate that.

Also I didn’t realize the population on here were being on the extreme good end or extreme bad.

Private practice is fairly risky. I thought some pods started out on hospital contracts just to get their foot in the door and find patients. Also if you join a practice that’s already a huge risk. Are there degrees in opening up private practices or just a certain route you’d have to take? Sorry for the details but that’s seriously good to know for the future.
The population of all podiatrists in the real world, not just on here is a bit of more have and have nots compared to many other professions with a comparable average salary.

Hospital jobs are very competitive and there are only enough for a small percentage of this profession.

Employed jobs in private practice are most common and overall pay on the lower end. The better jobs in private practice are often filled without posting an add or if they do are more competitive to get, especially if in a large city.

There is not any easy way to open an office, it takes money, planning and almost always involves negative cash flow in the early months. Many gain experience as an associate for a couple years to learn more on how to run an office, before opening one themselves. If it works out you have more job stability, control over how you practice and could make 2 times as much than you would as an associate, possibly even 3-4 times more. There is a podiatry practice management academy and IPED on facebook. You need a mentor and nothing replaces a couple of years experience in someone else’s office before you open your own.

The job market will not be anything close to what you are used to now with your current profession, honestly not even close. There just are not many jobs that pay a fair salary with good benefits for the time and money involved in this profession. That is why the good jobs are competitive and many make their own job by opening an office or in rare cases create a job at a hospital or MSG by cold calling and talking to the right person at the right time.

Last edited:
Very awesome! Do you mind me asking which program you matriculated in? Also since it’s treated like a full time job I’m assuming there’s no work at all? Not even work study? I’ve been so used to work and classes but I’m assuming there’s more than 4 classes at a time so that’s why all of the focus is school.

Also I can definitely do that. Only child and very introverted . And I understand that.
Temple. I highly recommend waiting until you take a few school exams before deciding on a part-time job. Def a no go for a full-time even if you're a genius. The amount of material is comparable to MD/DO school, practically the same basic sciences curriculum.

If you do get a part-time try to get a job where you can sit behind a desk and study. I can imagine this must be an exciting time for you and good luck on your medical journey!

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes:

Frank Ocean — 'Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise.'

I'm currently a 1st year at KSUCPM and its definitely a lot of work, some of it more painful than other parts. The curriculum is pretty tough along with the cadaver responsibilities. Our first semester was 23 credits and our spring is like 25 or something which is alot when you think of a traditional college schedule being between 12-18 credits. Though some classes are only a month long and others span the whole semester.

A few tips:

• Anki is your best friend for beating facts, figures, and minutiea into your brain. Its utility (at least for me) tends to break down when understanding the larger concepts like ascending and descending spinal tracts. Master each individual piece of a concept then spend time putting it all together to get the whole picture.
  • Spend time pre-reading the slides, notes, book. Don't do a deep dive and spend an hour per chapter. You'll burn out quick and are less likely to retain the info. Just spend maybe 10-15 min skimming the information to get your brain familiar with the large concepts. That way when class comes around, you're not feeling like the info is super brand new.
  • I personally like going to class. I don't ask questions but the profs tend to indicated info that is important to know. If class isn't your thing, always watch the recording so you aren't missing anything. Sometimes a prof will mention that one concept should take more of your time vs another one that they won't test on.
  • Block your time out and STICK TO IT. This is for school and leisure activities! If you have an evening set aside for family, leisure, etc, commit to doing, even if you feel behind. Your brain and mental health will thank you. For school stuff, I use the pomodoro method of 25 mins of studying and 5 mins of rest. Taking a 10 min break every 4 cycles. Also learn know when to put the material down. If its 12:30 or 1am and you feel like you aren't retaining anything, its because you aren't. Your brain needs time to consolidate the information.
  • If your program does cadaveric dissection, go to lab and lab tutoring. It'll pay dividends not just for exams/boards but for speaking to podiatry faculty, upper class students, and other physicians. I still meet with one of my non-pod physician recommenders and its cool to be able to "talk the talk."
  • Be confident. You got in and did a lot of work to get there so be confident that you can get through the material.
  • Don't let a bad grade define you either. There is going to be material you simply will not understand and will feel like walking across glass trying to learn. Do your best and know that you gave full effort (which includes going to tutoring, etc).
  • You WILL be stressed. No "ifs, ands, or buts" about it. Some stress is positive and motivates you but it can become overwhelming so management it key.
  • Finally, if your school offers free counseling, use it! It's great to talk to/complain to an impartial person who won't offer solutions and just listen. I have been in therapy for other personal reasons so I jumped on it to ensure my mental health does not decline because of the stress.
I know this laundry list of tips are just my personal experience so maybe take with a grain of salt, or two. Oh also, if your program offers a pre-matriculation program, you should look into doing it. Those are full of tips and tricks to make school more manageable. They usually also have some medical terminology and clinical stuff mixed in so you can get some early exposure to it.

One last "tip":
  • Don't doom scroll SDN podiatry forums. Its useless waste of time unless you're supporting other pre- and current pod students or need specific answers to an issue...

I hope your journey into Pod school goes well!

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Yeah, you might want to research this profession a little more....

I'm currently a 1st year at KSUCPM and its definitely a lot of work, some of it more painful than other parts. The curriculum is pretty tough along with the cadaver responsibilities. Our first semester was 23 credits and our spring is like 25 or something which is alot when you think of a traditional college schedule being between 12-18 credits. Though some classes are only a month long and others span the whole semester.

A few tips:

• Anki is your best friend for beating facts, figures, and minutiea into your brain. Its utility (at least for me) tends to break down when understanding the larger concepts like ascending and descending spinal tracts. Master each individual piece of a concept then spend time putting it all together to get the whole picture.
  • Spend time pre-reading the slides, notes, book. Don't do a deep dive and spend an hour per chapter. You'll burn out quick and are less likely to retain the info. Just spend maybe 10-15 min skimming the information to get your brain familiar with the large concepts. That way when class comes around, you're not feeling like the info is super brand new.
  • I personally like going to class. I don't ask questions but the profs tend to indicated info that is important to know. If class isn't your thing, always watch the recording so you aren't missing anything. Sometimes a prof will mention that one concept should take more of your time vs another one that they won't test on.
  • Block your time out and STICK TO IT. This is for school and leisure activities! If you have an evening set aside for family, leisure, etc, commit to doing, even if you feel behind. Your brain and mental health will thank you. For school stuff, I use the pomodoro method of 25 mins of studying and 5 mins of rest. Taking a 10 min break every 4 cycles. Also learn know when to put the material down. If its 12:30 or 1am and you feel like you aren't retaining anything, its because you aren't. Your brain needs time to consolidate the information.
  • If your program does cadaveric dissection, go to lab and lab tutoring. It'll pay dividends not just for exams/boards but for speaking to podiatry faculty, upper class students, and other physicians. I still meet with one of my non-pod physician recommenders and its cool to be able to "talk the talk."
  • Be confident. You got in and did a lot of work to get there so be confident that you can get through the material.
  • Don't let a bad grade define you either. There is going to be material you simply will not understand and will feel like walking across glass trying to learn. Do your best and know that you gave full effort (which includes going to tutoring, etc).
  • You WILL be stressed. No "ifs, ands, or buts" about it. Some stress is positive and motivates you but it can become overwhelming so management it key.
  • Finally, if your school offers free counseling, use it! It's great to talk to/complain to an impartial person who won't offer solutions and just listen. I have been in therapy for other personal reasons so I jumped on it to ensure my mental health does not decline because of the stress.
I know this laundry list of tips are just my personal experience so maybe take with a grain of salt, or two. Oh also, if your program offers a pre-matriculation program, you should look into doing it. Those are full of tips and tricks to make school more manageable. They usually also have some medical terminology and clinical stuff mixed in so you can get some early exposure to it.

One last "tip":
  • Don't doom scroll SDN podiatry forums. Its useless waste of time unless you're supporting other pre- and current pod students or need specific answers to an issue...

I hope your journey into Pod school goes well!
Please read the attending forums so you know what you are getting yourself into instead of the candy land fantasys of the schools and many current students.

Reactions: 3 users
Please read the attending forums so you know what you are getting yourself into instead of the candy land fantasys of the schools and many current students.
I have, and yeah its not the greatest outlook but they're in a program and looking for tips/motivation. They also mentioned earlier that they really want to go Pod so rather than just being "real", i tried to share whats getting me through the first year.

I've read enough of the attendings forums to know that doom scrolling them is not great. Our profession has its fair share of squeaky wheels... and a cylinder misfire... and a bent frame... but the only way to change that is from the inside, literally and figuratively. The pods before me worked hard to get us standardized residencies and laws in the books to give us a decent scope (though a codified scope has its challenges), among other things so things are changing. I hope to be the last generation of pods to be employed by mustache pods who cant do ankle surgey and thinks 10% collections after some ludicrous number, 80k base, no bennies is a good package.

Be confident. You got in and did a lot of work to get there so be confident that you can get through the material.

But pod schools will let anyone with a pulse in?

• Dislike
  • Haha
I think the attending forum can be seen as negative. I thought it was as a first year too- but I think its the unfortunate reality for a ton of attendings. Podiatry is saturated. Podiatry and Ortho relationships can be dicey (especially if they only know the TFP's). Podiatry relationships in town can be dicey. Most of us comment on these forums to try and warn students about the debt/income ratio.

IMO the best time to go to podiatry school was my year. Loan interest freeze the entire time. Loan interest is going to start again and your debt will balloon very easily to 300k-400k + with how stupid expensive school is. The ROI and debt/income ratio are doo doo. Salary range is all over the place. Scope is all over the place. Podiatry School education is all over the place. Its not like this for any other specialty. White coat investor says 3:1 or 4:1 debt to income ratio is a poor investment and you're unlikely going to pay that off anytime soon. Unless you're able to cut costs significantly l'd think twice about podiatry school.

Go to the texas school or don't go at all.

...Unless you're able to cut costs significantly l'd think twice about podiatry school.

Go to the texas school or don't go at all.
You want to go where it's cheapest and/or you get the best scholarships (consider COL + scholarships + tuition). There is a smaaall fudge factor if if you have strong family or personal attach to a certain area.

At the end of the day, all of the pod schools have the same textbooks in the library, the same journals, the same courses, the same basic clinics. Some are a bit better for courses/professors, and some are a bit better for clinic volume/professors. Some are more or less selective, but top students come from all schools each and every year. Bottom line is that you need to read, pass classes, pass boards, read journals, and match well no matter which you attend.

Sure, good mentors and inspirational ppl matter, but you will find at least a few of those (upperclassmen, professors, etc) anywhere you go if you simply have your eyes open and associate with high quality ppl. Ultimately, for the 4yrs of pod school, 75% of your learning will be done solo in the library or by paying attention in lectures even though you'd rather be doing fun stuff. The ppl whose main strategy is "study group" and "study at the coffee shop" don't tend to end up high rank and matching well. It's hard work and typically much solitude during grad school no matter where you go, so keep some money in your pocket and put in the time wherever you enroll. It will serve one much better putting $6k in a Roth for all years of pod school and residency as opposed to going to the school where their friend went or where they like the weather (hint: library is always 70deg and flourescent lights).

Residency is the main thing that matters, and there is MUCH more diversity of quality/standards in DPM residencies than MD/DO. School is just a prep to build a base to match well.

Podiatry school does NOT accept anyone with a pulse. Lets end that saying now. You have to have a 3.0 and at least a 490 and above on the mcat. These are the same stats for DO school and medical school.

• Haha
  • Hmm
  • Dislike
Podiatry school does NOT accept anyone with a pulse. Lets end that saying now. You have to have a 3.0 and at least a 490 and above on the mcat. These are the same stats for DO school and medical school.
Are you in podiatry school?

...and yes, they do.... often with a scholarship.

Podiatry can be good, but it's very saturated. Some of the schools accept basically anyone, accept right until classes start, shadowing or not, etc.

It's honestly best to think of it like Caribbean med school in that almost anyone gets in, many flunk out, some fail boards, tuitions are high, the majority of grads will NOT get a good quality residency (some may not get one at all, especially with more new pod schools aded).

You have to work hard in podiatry, try to get one of the few good residencies... and you'll still find it's saturated out in the job/practice market. The averaage DPM's income ROI is nothing like MD/DO - or many other health professionals.

Last edited:
The question is not can you get in. The question is should you?