Lowest MCAT Scores.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magnolia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the lowest MCAT scores people have received and been accepted into Medical School (w/ a decent GPA...over 3.7 and good extracirr.)?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you need at least a 26 on your MCAT to be competitive if everything else on your application is excellent.

I have heard of people getting in with 22's or even slightly lower, but most of them have outstanding things on their applicattions or they are a "special case", meaning non-traditional applicant with unusual circumstances in their lives or work experiences.

So, I guess there is no magic number that will get you in.

Obviously, the higher the better.

Don't give up the idea of applying just because of your MCAT score, either.

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

I wouldn't worry about what the lowest scores accepted were. If you already took it, the most you can do it is try your best to get in. If you have yet to take the MCAT, you should focus on doing your best to get a good score. Spend your time studying, rather than worrying about the lowest score
smile.gif

Magnolia, it depends on where you want to go, your ethnicity, and your other qualifications are. Also, you did not state whether your gpa was overall or sciences only.

In general, the lower your gpa, the higher an mcat you need (and vice versa). Underrepresented minorities (African Americans, Native Americans and Puerto Ricans, Mexican Americans) can get in with some lower numbers. Ditto if you can show substantial research experience (ie you have published) or are intereseted in osteopathic medicine.

Someone with a 3.7 (I am assuming this is science gpa) wanting to enter an allopathic program should try to get at least 9's in all three subject areas (this means a 27). Of course, such a score will eliminate you from most of the highly ranked schools (you should get double digits to be competitive for programs in the top 25 or so). Try not to score lower than an 8 in anyone subject (and of course, you would have to make it up by doing better on another subject). In general, scores in the 6-7 range is frowned upon no matter what your gpa/total mcat score is.

Anyway, do your best. Shoot for double digits because it will widen the range of schools you will be able to apply to (and be invited for interviews at). But a score in the high 20's should get you some interviews at some lesser ranked MD schools and most DO programs.

Good luck to you.