Loyola 4th Year Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doodpac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I wanted some input on how the 4th year ophtho elective is at Loyola University, Chicago. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a former Loyola med student and intern, I can tell you that the Loyola Ophthalmology program is probably the best in Chicago. The residents on average do b/w 250-300 primary phacos and the atmosphere is very student and resident friendly. CB, the chairman and PD, is a great guy. You can talk to him about anything. Don't hesitate to do an elective there for a month. Just don't live in Maywood. Rent a place in Berwyn, Brookfield, Oak Park, Riverside, or downtown Chicago for a month as there is no housing on the campus. You will need a car there. Also, the gym at Loyola is probably the best in Chicago. Definitely try it out for a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Loyola and I do agree it is a good program. BUT they definitely do not do 250-300 phacos and I dont think it is the BEST in Chicago. The Program Director herself said that in the past residents have done up to 160 or so phacos, but this year they are adding another resident and so that number should be more around 120-130. I do agree that it is a very good program, with very friendly faculty and among the BEST gym's I have ever seen. In terms of the best program in Chicago, I would say that University of Illinois - Chicago is the best in that area with Loyola being second best. UIC has 150ish cataract numbers, a more diverse group of faculty, in a better location, with a better academic reputation which may help in securing fellowships...plus UIC has their own fellowships too if you wanted to stay. One of the current drawbacks to UIC is they have only an "interim chair" (Joel Sugar) and are looking for someone currently. My understanding from talking to other students was that Loyola is very good if you want to practice general ophtho in that area, but fellowship wise, UIC is better.

As a former Loyola Med student and intern and Northwestern Ophthalmology grad, I stand by my original statement -- Loyola is probably the best program in the city. Also, my numbers are pretty accurate as of June 2003.

retinadoc said:
As a former Loyola Med student and intern and Northwestern Ophthalmology grad, I stand by my original statement -- Loyola is probably the best program in the city. Also, my numbers are pretty accurate as of June 2003.

I will not argue with what the "best" program in Chicago is because I do not know enough about the programs in that area to make a solid argument.

But I did open my interview packet from this past interview season and the photocopy of the slide from the program director's presentation quotes 130-150 phacos as primary surgeon. Still a respectable number, but not the outrageous 250-300. I visited 20 programs, and the highest number I heard was 200 phacos as primary surgeon at Baylor. Maybe my current numbers are a reflection of the addition of a resident since you were there.