Loyola and Finch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
They are both located outside of Chicago. How accessible are they by car from Chicago? Is everday commute from Chicago an option? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to live there.

I think Finch is in North Chicago. This suburb is about 15 miles north of Chicago. I am actually thinkng of applying there b/c I could live w/ my family in the far north subs - safer and affordable. I think Loyola is on Maywood. This is west of Chicago 5 miles or so. Not the best place in the world to live - near the notorious west neighborhoods of Chicago. If you have a family I would not go to Loyola, go for Finch.

Commute will be hell at either place, but worse for Loyola b/c it is sp close to downtown.

Loyola: I've never taken public transport out that far west, but you can take a bus not too far a ride from the med center to the end of the blue line (opposite of O'Hare end) and then take that into the city or on around to O'Hare. I used to ride the el and buses and they are really great there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finch is way too far north to commute from the city. I have a friend that commutes to Loyola from downtown Chicago. It takes about 25-40 min in the morning with heavy traffic and only about 10-15 min back at night (9-10 pm, after studying). Living in Maywood isn't all that bad; it's not particularly safe, nor is it dangerous. North Chicago is fairly remote. It's actually not that far from Wisconsin. Finch, or Rosalind Franklin as it is not called, is currently under probation. You should consider that and read about their accreditation on their website.

If you want to live in the city - Loyola will be a much easier commute. You can either use public transportation, or a (relatively) short drive. If you are planning on living in North Suburbs, Finch is OK. But it's WAY up there.

Another great option to consider if you're thinking of attending Loyola is to live in its neighboring suburbs - especially Oak Park, IL. I grew up in Oak Park, and can tell you it's a pretty desireable place to live. It's only a 5-7 minute commute once you get on I-290 West if there is no traffic (can get up to 15-20 minutes with traffic in the morning). It's pretty safe, and you have a significant number of young professionals that live there and commute to downtown using the green and blue train lines. Lots of great restaurants, and cultural events to choose from. Finch is WAY too far up north from Chicago.

In terms of schools, I would go to Loyola in a heartbeat. Finch is a decent school, but with rumors accreditation in danger, I wouldn't risk it. Loyola has a solid rep in Chicagoloand area. Good luck with your decision!

just take note that the town of "North Chicago" is not really north Chicago. Its way up north. A more appropriate name would be "North of Chicago" or more accurate perhaps, "South Milwaukee". wrigleyville is north chicago, not waukegan.

it takes about an hour to get downtown on 90/94. maybe longer through the north burbs through evanston to the actual "north chicago" ie (loyola undergrad) and down lakeshore. chi-town is weird, you cannot correlate time of travel and distance. 15-20 miles doesn't seem like a lot, but its a lot of time, trust me. some of the north burbs like lake forest and waukegan are really nice, but "north chicago" (the town) is somewhat less appealing.

don't know anything about maywood.

I don't think anyone from Loyola lives in Maywood...so it really isn't a concern. Most students are a 15-20 minute train ride or 10 min drive to the city depending on traffic, and yes, there are definitely people who commute everyday. The commute is opposite most traffic too, out of the city in the morning and into it at night. Also Loyola students get out of class at 1:30 most days...can't speak for NYMC

i just wanna go to med school.

This is way late but just so you all know...

Maywood isn't that bad, but everyone lives in other areas, most commonly Oak Park. It takes 20 minutes to get into class in the morning from Oak Park. Oak Park is a really nice historic suburb that is 1 mile outside Chicago's city limits. Lots of cool restaurants, really nice older houses, pretty expensive. There is an array of cheaper options too, basically, you can live in as nice an area as you want and still be within a 20 min driving distance of the campus. And two of the "L" lines go through Oak Park. It takes ~25 minutes to ride downtown cause there are quite a few stops.

North Chicago is really boring comparitively. There is no night life whatsoever and I believe it takes over an hour to get downtown with normal traffic.

There is really no comparison.

Do you really think Rosalind Franklin will lose their accreditation?

Arb said:
Do you really think Rosalind Franklin will lose their accreditation?

Probably not. I think there has been some discussion of this in past threads. You may want to do a search on it if you're really interested.

North Chicago is about 45 miles north of the city, not 15. That's why it takes so long to get downtown from there, about 1-2 hours, depending on traffic.

Most students at Loyola live in Oak Park, but many live in the city.