Loyola vs. Creighton (PHX) vs. OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loyola vs. Creighton (PHX) vs. OUWB

• Loyola

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Creighton

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • OUWB

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

roastedcheese

Reaction score

Creighton​

Pros:
  • Location/weather (hate the cold love the sun, being able to hike/bike/study outside, outdoor activities)
  • Further from home, able to step out of my comfort zone and do my own thing (I know it sounds crazy, but a support system =/= home for me)
  • Friday exams/quizzes, enjoy the weekend
  • 4th ranked top training hospital in the country
  • A lot of growth in Arizona in the future
  • Brand new campus building, great facilities
  • Strong Match List
  • P/F Curriculum, no internal ranking
  • Responsive staff (but also bc we’re guinea pigs)

Cons:
  • Study space issues (900 students in one building (nursing, pharm, etc.), issues w/ parking too)
  • In-house exams (no nbme exams)
  • H/P/F System (honors are top 10%)
  • Not as strong clinical experience (M3/M4) as loyola (from what students stated)
  • Some home residency programs
  • No residency programs for subspecialties (Derm, ENT, Ortho, etc.)
  • Only one M4 class has graduated and matched (New campus)
  • Less research opportunities
  • Some quirks with the M1-M2 class, as its new, but M3-M4 years are established
  • Not as established as other schools (guinea pig)
  • Not as grand of a city as Chicago, having fewer opportunities
  • Intolerable summers (too hot)

Loyola​

Pros:
  • Bigger city, more clinical and post-grad opportunities
  • Chicago, great place to meet people and spend 20’s in
  • Summer’s are amazing
  • Home residencies (love taking their own)
  • More established, w/ history
  • Entire campus including the hospital is within one campus, close proximity walking distance to all facilities (easy to shadow, research, etc.)
  • Students are extremely happy, staff has been wonderful, such an amazing experience with people
  • P/F Curriculum
    • Exam every 2 wks
    • Easy slow paced first semester
  • Extremely good clinical training (residency programs acknowledge this from what I’ve heard)
  • Great research opportunities (home program)
  • Very strong match list

Cons:
  • P/F but internal ranking
  • Exams are always on monday/tuesday
  • Cold weather
  • Suburbs of chicago, 15-20 mins away from downtown
  • In house exams (but nbme style questions)
  • City safety? (lot of ppl state chicago is getting worse in terms of safety)

Oakland​

Pros:
  • Amazing hospital system, lots of prestige (Beaumont/Corewell Health)
  • Familiar with the east side of MI, lots of friends there
  • Very welcoming people, very community based
  • Nice area to live in, familiar with it
  • Full dissection anatomy lab (prossection)
  • P/F Curriculum
    • H/P/F M1-M2
    • Only final exams (weekly quizzes, then final after 4-5 weeks)
    • Friday exams
  • Built in research program
  • Strong match list

Cons:
  • Not much clinical experience first two years
  • Still a newer school, not as established
  • H/HP/P/F system M3-M4
  • Rough first semester
  • More mandatory lectures/activities than other schools during preclinical years
  • Not really affiliated much with Detroit, less of a diverse population demographic or population size as PHX or Chicago
  • Not a big change for me in environment
  • Still cold weather rip
  • 50% of match list stays in Michigan

pls help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Creighton​

Pros:
  • Location/weather (hate the cold love the sun, being able to hike/bike/study outside, outdoor activities)
  • Further from home, able to step out of my comfort zone and do my own thing (I know it sounds crazy, but a support system =/= home for me)
  • Friday exams/quizzes, enjoy the weekend
  • A lot of growth in Arizona in the future
  • Brand new campus building, great facilities
  • Strong Match List
  • P/F Curriculum, no internal ranking
  • Responsive staff (but also bc we’re guinea pigs)

Cons:
  • Study space issues (900 students in one building (nursing, pharm, etc.), issues w/ parking too)
  • In-house exams (no nbme exams)
  • H/P/F System (honors are top 10%)
  • Not as strong clinical experience (M3/M4) as loyola (from what students stated)
  • Only one M4 class has graduated and matched (New campus)
  • Not as established as other schools (guinea pig)
  • Not as grand of a city as Chicago, having fewer opportunities
  • Intolerable summers (too hot)

Loyola​

Pros:
  • Bigger city, more clinical and post-grad opportunities
  • Chicago, great place to meet people and spend 20’s in
  • Summer’s are amazing
  • Home residencies (love taking their own)
  • More established, w/ history
  • Entire campus including the hospital is within one campus, close proximity walking distance to all facilities (easy to shadow, research, etc.)
  • Students are extremely happy, staff has been wonderful, such an amazing experience with people
  • P/F Curriculum
    • Exam every 2 wks
    • Easy slow paced first semester
  • Extremely good clinical training (residency programs acknowledge this from what I’ve heard)
  • Great research opportunities (home program)
  • Very strong match list

Cons:
  • P/F but internal ranking
  • Exams are always on monday/tuesday
  • Cold weather
  • Suburbs of chicago, 15-20 mins away from downtown
  • In house exams (but nbme style questions)
  • City safety? (lot of ppl state chicago is getting worse in terms of safety)

Oakland​

Pros:
  • Amazing hospital system, lots of prestige (Beaumont/Corewell Health)
  • Familiar with the east side of MI, lots of friends there
  • Very welcoming people, very community based
  • Nice area to live in, familiar with it
  • Full dissection anatomy lab (prossection)
  • P/F Curriculum
    • H/P/F M1-M2
    • Only final exams (weekly quizzes, then final after 4-5 weeks)
    • Friday exams
  • Built in research program
  • Strong match list

Cons:
  • Not much clinical experience first two years
  • Still a newer school, not as established
  • H/HP/P/F system M3-M4
  • Rough first semester
  • More mandatory lectures/activities than other schools during preclinical years
  • Not really affiliated much with Detroit, less of a diverse population demographic or population size as PHX or Chicago
  • Not a big change for me in environment
  • Still cold weather rip
  • 50% of match list stays in Michigan

pls help
What is the CoA difference for each of the schools? Have you heard back about any aid/scholarships so far? Currently debating between similar schools

What is the CoA difference for each of the schools? Have you heard back about any aid/scholarships so far? Currently debating between similar schools
CoA is identical at all three schools. PHX, Chicago, and Rochester are roughly the same for the cost of living as well (Rochester/Royal Oak for OUWB is a tiny bit cheaper but still relatively close). I did receive a $200k Scholarship at OUWB, but I'm in the process of trying to get the other schools to match the scholarship. Therefore, I'm disregarding the scholarship to see what my actual #1 school is, then waiting for aid. If it's relatively close for COA then I'll choose my #1 school, but if it's drastic like $200k vs. $0 then ofc that will trump the decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
CoA is identical at all three schools. PHX, Chicago, and Rochester are roughly the same for the cost of living as well (Rochester/Royal Oak for OUWB is a tiny bit cheaper but still relatively close). I did receive a $200k Scholarship at OUWB, but I'm in the process of trying to get the other schools to match the scholarship. Therefore, I'm disregarding the scholarship to see what my actual #1 school is, then waiting for aid. If it's relatively close for COA then I'll choose my #1 school, but if it's drastic like $200k vs. $0 then ofc that will trump the decision.
That's awesome $200k is nearly full tuition at OUWB so that would be a huge factor! I hope that Creighton PHX and Loyola get back to you about matching the scholarship. Loyola seems to be the best out of the three based on your list. PHX would be a risk as they have not had a match list thus far for a class that has done all four years at the Phoenix campus. I loved OUWB as well, but the internal ranking and mandatory attendance for honors is rough!

Reactions: 1 user
Do any of them have a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum, or are they all 2 years in length? Given your 200k scholarship to OUWB trumps everything else, I'd go there. Congratulations! That's huge! They graduated their first class in 2015? That means when you graduate, they'll have graduated over 12 years of classes. Match lists and where people go is heavily dependent on where students want to go. You can 100% leave Michigan via the match as an OUWB student. I wouldn't say Loyola is a much stronger school, and definitely not to the point that I'd negate a huge scholarship to go there.

cons against Creighton PHX:

Reactions: 1 users
Do any of them have a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum, or are they all 2 years in length? Given your 200k scholarship to OUWB trumps everything else, I'd go there. Congratulations! That's huge! They graduated their first class in 2015? That means when you graduate, they'll have graduated over 12 years of classes. Match lists and where people go is heavily dependent on where students want to go. You can 100% leave Michigan via the match as an OUWB student. I wouldn't say Loyola is a much stronger school, and definitely not to the point that I'd negate a huge scholarship to go there.

cons against Creighton PHX:
Both programs have a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum. That's the issue, both schools are nearly identical lmaoo. But if Loyola matches that scholarship, what do you think?

Both programs have a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum. That's the issue, both schools are nearly identical lmaoo. But if Loyola matches that scholarship, what do you think?
My understanding was that OUWB has a traditional 2 year preclinical, is it 1.5 yr?

I saw they had a 6 week dedicated step 1 studying period so assumed it was 1.5 years? If I’m not mistaken lol
I think it's still 2 yr trad, the 6 weeks is closer to the summer. 1.5 yr preclinical schools start clerkships early too, OUWB doesn't, so I think they're def 2 yr. Creighton follows a similar calendar to OUWB, also 2 year preclinical.

Loyola is open to negotiation, Dean Nabers says it himself, that he understands how "the game" works. I think Loyola is the #1 choice based on your pros w/o considering aid. I think if you can get some significant aid from Loyola it is really worth considering.

I’m
I think it's still 2 yr trad, the 6 weeks is closer to the summer. 1.5 yr preclinical schools start clerkships early too, OUWB doesn't, so I think they're def 2 yr. Creighton follows a similar calendar to OUWB, also 2 year preclinical.
is Loyola a 1.5 year curriculum then?

Loyola is open to negotiation, Dean Nabers says it himself, that he understands how "the game" works. I think Loyola is the #1 choice based on your pros w/o considering aid. I think if you can get some significant aid from Loyola it is really worth considering.
Yea, I remember him stating that in the interview. I emailed them and they’re discussing it currently so hopefully I’ll get a response soon

That's awesome $200k is nearly full tuition at OUWB so that would be a huge factor! I hope that Creighton PHX and Loyola get back to you about matching the scholarship. Loyola seems to be the best out of the three based on your list. PHX would be a risk as they have not had a match list thus far for a class that has done all four years at the Phoenix campus. I loved OUWB as well, but the internal ranking and mandatory attendance for honors is rough!
Hi! Current OUWB student just wanted to point out that attendance is not mandatory for honors!

Hi! Current OUWB student just wanted to point out that attendance is not mandatory for honors!
Wait really?? Did they change it or something? Because I initially thought you needed like 80% attendance for H and I remember hearing something about that in my interview in 10/2023