Loyola Chicago

Started by meliora27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

For Bio - Dr. Duffie is best, I try to take every class that he instructs, but his classes fill up quick so register ASAP.

For chem - I can't really say, not too familiar with the department. Give ratemyprofessors.com a try.

If you got anymore questions about the bio department give me a pm.
Best of 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else?

Try not to take Rottermund for Bio, if he's still teaching. He's a hack who should have retired years ago, and will just frustrate you. But even if you had to take him, I wouldn't worry to much. You can pretty much teach yourself biology, just make sure you are a little anal in learning the little nit picky details. Bio 101 grades are not so much about understanding, but more about little details that stratify out the class. It will be good practice for med school later on.

Chem - it depends. I took Finch for the whole year. Easy, easy A. She teaches at the level of, well, monkeys who can't even do elementary school math (probably because she has an issue with this herself). And her tests are easy peazy. And if everyone doesn't do well, she just drops questions (even whole tests) and changes averages. And after all that, there are STILL people who do poorly with her, I just don't get it. Other that, I don't know. I was always of the mind that it didn't matter what professor I had, more of just a personality thing.

Good luck. Loyola was good to me. Work hard, and it will be good for you too.
 
Loyola is wonderful. For Biology, Dr. Rotermund is a very thorough, in-depth professor (he is a biochemist -- and it shows). Consider Dr. Duffie. Stay away from Dr. Kroll.

Chemistry - Drs. Finch and Herlinger are wonderful profs. For organic, stay away from Szpunar. She's an excellent teacher but teaches way above what she needs to.

Good luck,
-z