Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Loyola Chicago

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by meliora27, Apr 15, 2007.

1. meliora27

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm going to be taking Bio and Gen Chem in the fall. Can anyone recommend certain professors?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AK1kinase

AK1kinase Newbie

Pre-Medical
    For Bio - Dr. Duffie is best, I try to take every class that he instructs, but his classes fill up quick so register ASAP.

For chem - I can't really say, not too familiar with the department. Give ratemyprofessors.com a try.

If you got anymore questions about the bio department give me a pm.
    Best of :thumbup:

4. meliora27

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone else?

5. chopper

chopper Senior Member

Try not to take Rottermund for Bio, if he's still teaching. He's a hack who should have retired years ago, and will just frustrate you. But even if you had to take him, I wouldn't worry to much. You can pretty much teach yourself biology, just make sure you are a little anal in learning the little nit picky details. Bio 101 grades are not so much about understanding, but more about little details that stratify out the class. It will be good practice for med school later on.

Chem - it depends. I took Finch for the whole year. Easy, easy A. She teaches at the level of, well, monkeys who can't even do elementary school math (probably because she has an issue with this herself). And her tests are easy peazy. And if everyone doesn't do well, she just drops questions (even whole tests) and changes averages. And after all that, there are STILL people who do poorly with her, I just don't get it. Other that, I don't know. I was always of the mind that it didn't matter what professor I had, more of just a personality thing.

Good luck. Loyola was good to me. Work hard, and it will be good for you too.

6. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    Loyola is wonderful. For Biology, Dr. Rotermund is a very thorough, in-depth professor (he is a biochemist -- and it shows). Consider Dr. Duffie. Stay away from Dr. Kroll.

Chemistry - Drs. Finch and Herlinger are wonderful profs. For organic, stay away from Szpunar. She's an excellent teacher but teaches way above what she needs to.

Good luck,
    -z

7. chopper

chopper Senior Member