alohakaoha

5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's late in the application cycle for MAMS but I haven't seen a thread for this year. Finally complete today after receiving my last LOR. Good luck everybody!

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I think MAMS is a good program but I just hate that it adds an additional gap year.

sagtig

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I was accepted... have been debating for a while between SGU and Loyola MAMS... I think I'm leaning toward Loyola... so I might be seeing everyone in Chicago this Fall
:)

alohakaoha

5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was accepted... have been debating for a while between SGU and Loyola MAMS... I think I'm leaning toward Loyola... so I might be seeing everyone in Chicago this Fall
:)
Congrats! When were you complete and what are your stats (if you don't mind?) :)

Billiken09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone! I was hoping that this year's thread would eventually start! I was accepted back in early March and I am very excited about the program. It may be another year, but its another opportunity for a great experience, and of course it is a means to our common goal. Hope to see some of you in August!

May 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone!:D

I just signed up for my classes! Pretty excited about the MAMS program. Everyone I've interacted with either via email or phone has been incredibly nice. I just went and visited there last weekend too and the campus is really pretty. Still not quite sure what to do about living, so if anyone has any insight that would be appreciated... The Sovereign apartments keep getting brought up. They are really reasonably priced, but I have read some awful reviews on it.

May 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I also applied late--just submitted everything early last week!

Hey Sagtig and NHBPFA5, since you are the only two in this forum accepted to MAMS so far, would you mind posting some of your stats? I just want to see how competitive I am, and what my chances are for an acceptance. Here are mine:

Cum GPA: 3.38
Science GPA: 3.00
MCAT: 32

I shouldn't have applied so late...sigh.

May 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Sure thing,

Cum GPA: 3.13
Science GPA: 3.10
MCAT 34 P

I've got a few EC's and lab experience so I think that helped. They absolutely study your application, it will be read entirely which I just loved. The woman who reviewed it (Sally Fell) sent me the kindest email telling me specifically what she liked about my application. What other school would ever do that? Even after I disclosed a drinking ticket, she said that she loved how apologetic and sincere I was about it. After getting automated denials from 13 med schools, this was really refreshing and I can't wait to go.

Keep us updated, your stats are strong!

May 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Sure thing,

MCAT 34 P

I've got a few EC's and lab experience so I think that helped. They absolutely study your application, it will be read entirely which I just loved. The woman who reviewed it (Sally Fell) sent me the kindest email telling me specifically what she liked about my application. What other school would ever do that? Even after I disclosed a drinking ticket, she said that she loved how apologetic and sincere I was about it. After getting automated denials from 13 med schools, this was really refreshing and I can't wait to go.

Wow what an awesome MCAT score!

I'm glad to hear that they review the application in its entirety--I don't have any lab experience and very limited clinical experience, unfortunately, but I was a varsity athlete in college and had my time consumed by that, so hopefully they'll take that into account.

Thank you!

sshehateme

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2010
Status
Hey guys...just curious, can someone explain how Loyola's gap year works? Can you not apply for very next cycle while in the program? or do they not release grades/letters or rec on time? thanks.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys...just curious, can someone explain how Loyola's gap year works? Can you not apply for very next cycle while in the program? or do they not release grades/letters or rec on time? thanks.
u can apply but, i think it won't help much since schools won't see it.

sagtig

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2009
Status
Non-Student
I had stats that were below average...
3.05 cgpa, 2.97 sgpa & a 29 MCAT...

But I went to a school known for deflation... and I had a really hard major... I'm 2 yrs out of undergrad... so I have very good clinical research experience...

Don't worry too much about stats... it's not med school yet... just make yourself look good on paper & you got a pretty good shot... besides they have a pretty late deadline... so I'm sure it's ok to have applied in March/april/may... gl!

As far as the gap year is concerned... it is advised to apply after finishing the program because if you apply for the year immediately following the program, you would have to apply now if you wanna apply early but then none of the schools you apply to will see your grades which defeats the purpose of the smp... and if you apply after getting some grades in, you risk rejection on account of applying late...

As far as the guaranteed interview for Loyola... it falls for a gap year as well

Billiken09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Guys, accepted back in March.

3.33 Cum
2.98 Sci
28 MCAT

Lots of volunteer stuff. I have been working in Pharmaceuticals this year. But the people at this program seem really sincere when they say they want to help you become a better applicant.

I am below average, but I really expressed to them my plans to improve my application. I let them know how driven I am and my plans to improve on the MCAT as well. Just let em know how bad you want it!

Billiken09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, if you attend the program to improve your GPA, then wouldn't you want to wait until the end of the program, when you have really proven that you can perform well in two semesters of difficult graduate courses? I believe this is the logic of waiting til the end. Otherwise you apply with some midterm grades? No?

You can apply, they just don't encourage it. I'm sure some people who apply during the program get accepted to med school though!

Jul 30, 2009
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take between being complete and by the time you got your letter? They send you the decision in the mail, correct?

sshehateme

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2010
Status
Well, if you attend the program to improve your GPA, then wouldn't you want to wait until the end of the program, when you have really proven that you can perform well in two semesters of difficult graduate courses? I believe this is the logic of waiting til the end. Otherwise you apply with some midterm grades? No?

You can apply, they just don't encourage it. I'm sure some people who apply during the program get accepted to med school though!
Yeah, thats pretty much what I was thinking...I guess I'm just confused as to why some programs encourage you to apply (for example Tulane's Cell Bio Masters) and why ones like Loyola advise against it....they both seem to be geared towards the same crowd of people trying to improve GPA's/become better candidates for med school.

Billiken09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, thats pretty much what I was thinking...I guess I'm just confused as to why some programs encourage you to apply (for example Tulane's Cell Bio Masters) and why ones like Loyola advise against it....they both seem to be geared towards the same crowd of people trying to improve GPA's/become better candidates for med school.
To be completely honest, I don't know too much about other SMP's. That is interesting though. You would think with the same goal in mind, that they would encourage applying at the same time. I'm not sure why that is. yea, definitely a reasonable question.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
To be completely honest, I don't know too much about other SMP's. That is interesting though. You would think with the same goal in mind, that they would encourage applying at the same time. I'm not sure why that is. yea, definitely a reasonable question.
I think it's because some SMP's have linkages with specific med schools so that the med schools can see the grades as soon as you get them and will hold off rejecting your apps until the year is over. They seem to reserve spots for students in the SMP. It appears that Loyola does not do this with their med school. I don't know why

twinniethepooh

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted my application on April 19th. It was recorded as complete (transcripts entered, MCAT received) on April 21st. I received notice of acceptance on May 5th.

Perm16

7+ Year Member
May 19, 2010
Status
I'm in to MAMS, but I am debating right now between Georgetown's SMP and Loyola's...Georgetown is a lot more expensive than Loyola, living in DC is outrageously expensive...I'm not really sure what to do because I know Georgetown's med school has a strong link with their SMP program, but I'm from Naperville and would like to stay close to home if possible..also, I don't know what Stritch's relationship is with MAMS...pretty tough decision. Does anybody know if Stritch guarantees interviews for MAMS students or anything like that?

May 30, 2010
Status
I'm in to MAMS, but I am debating right now between Georgetown's SMP and Loyola's...Georgetown is a lot more expensive than Loyola, living in DC is outrageously expensive...I'm not really sure what to do because I know Georgetown's med school has a strong link with their SMP program, but I'm from Naperville and would like to stay close to home if possible..also, I don't know what Stritch's relationship is with MAMS...pretty tough decision. Does anybody know if Stritch guarantees interviews for MAMS students or anything like that?
Hey Perm, hopefully I can help....

I was in the program this past year and I chose between these schools as well... Overall, I chose Loyola for several reasons:

1- like you, I also lived similarly distant from chicago- if I were you, I would still get an apartment in the city
2- Loyola from what I read has a better track record of getting its students into med school overall, probably because Georgetown has you competing with its Med Students- Loyola is extremely tough but seems more conducive to helping out its students
3- a 3.5 cum GPA guarantees an interview at stritch the following application cycle
4- I did speak with the Loyola advisors and the Georgetown ones before deciding, and they were both extremely helpful. In my experience with the Loyola ones throughout the entire year, they were great the entire time and even after the program, they have been a big help as well
5- Chicago is a sweet city to live in
6- its recommended that you wait until the following year to apply but they are still willing to help you the year of if you wish, there were students that did that and were successful, others that weren't
7- loyola has a really good pre-med advisory program with its committee letters thing it does
8- with living expenses calculated in, I saved about 25,000 dollars going to LUC rather than Georgetown, even with living in Chicago
9- they very very much promote getting medical volunteer experience and offer a lot of support in getting a volunteer position- helps boost your resume

if you want reasons to choose Georgetown:

1- its far away and can provide a new experience
2- its the oldest SMP of its kind and does have a lot of credibility and is distinguished in the fact that it is Georgetown
3- I am sure that if you had drive to get volunteer experience, you can do it yourself in DC
4- Im pretty sure NIH is located around there which is a great employer I think if you need a job following the school year

Obviously I gave more reasons for Loyola because i experienced it and it is in fact what i chose. The key is to go where you think you can succeed and get meaningful guidance because med schools want results

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

It is awesome to see that there is a forum for this year! I was just wondering, is there anyone who has been waiting for a longgggggg time to hear back. My application was complete on March 12, and I still haven't heard anything. They told me that my application went into secondary review on April 15th, and still nothing. I'm getting really worried. I also applied to the Georgetown SMP, but I really want Loyola ( I also applied to Georgetown kinda late :(... ).

My stats were: 30S, 3.15 Science, 3.3 overall.

Anyone have any insight??

Thanks a bunch!

Jun 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
3.1 cum
2.8 science
28 mcat
Out of curiosity (and not to pry), do you have a lot of experience, an amazing story, Ivy School? That is a really fast turn around for the application, so just curious what was the reason for the fast turn around. I have stats that are close to yours (30S, 3.3overall, 3.15 science)

Jun 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Sure thing,

MCAT 34 P

What was the turn around on your application (from completion to acceptance email)??

MediCynical

Custom User Title
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was also in the program this past year and would highly recommend it. Excellent advisers and professors, great city, tons of places to volunteer, and a guaranteed interview at Stritch if you finish the program with a 3.5+ and 28+ MCAT

Hey everyone!:D

I just signed up for my classes! Pretty excited about the MAMS program. Everyone I've interacted with either via email or phone has been incredibly nice. I just went and visited there last weekend too and the campus is really pretty. Still not quite sure what to do about living, so if anyone has any insight that would be appreciated... The Sovereign apartments keep getting brought up. They are really reasonably priced, but I have read some awful reviews on it.
check out granville apartments on N. Kenmore Ave... it's about 2 blocks south of campus. I lived in a 2br that was $1185/mo + electricity, and it had wood floors and a lake view

klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Question
I know this is not the advice sections, but I would really appreciate your help.

So I have always received good grades, several times 4.0 at UW-Madison, and before my last year at UW-Madison, I had all my pre-med requisites complete with a 3.57 GPA. However, due to personal events that unfolded, my grades significantly suffered my last year, and I received a D in micro lab, D in micro lecture, and a B in Neurobio. This dropped my science GPA to a 3.22.

I am debating whether to do a special masters program, to demonstrate I am still capable of high academic achievement, but am hesitant to pull the trigger because A) money B) it adds an additional year.

I received a 25 MCAT and recognize it is a must that I re-take. So I guess heres my questions
1. Do another year of schooling for Masters in Medical Science and re - take the MCAT OR
2. take the year off, volunteer at ahospital, and study for the MCAT?

Thanks a bunch guys, good luck to all your future endeavours!
if your personal reason is adequate, and you raise your mcat, you could apply to med school. if you can explain a legitimate reason for grades dropping

Jun 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So I've been accepted to Loyola MAMS and Georgetown SMP, and I'm going to be spending the next few months or so deciding where to go. I'm on the alternate list at Wayne State SOM, so that is my number one choice but if anyone wants to offer any additional advice... that'd be great.

Ultimately, my goal is to get into a top tier medical school, particularly University of Michigan (my alma mater).

Stats:
3.6 (3.5 science) from UofM-Ann Arbor
33Q MCAT
Plenty of clinical experience, no research experience (not really interested)
Good-Decent letters

Which program would be my best choice to achieve my goal of getting into Michigan, or schools outside of Loyola and Georgetown? (i'll be applying to those med schools as well though)

bl123

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys!
I've been accepted to Loyola MAMS and I'm looking into the Granville Apartment complex. Looks pretty sweet and it's close to campus for us out-of-towners :]. Just thought I'd ask if anyone is interested in sharing an apartment. It looks like there are 2, 3, and 4-bedroom apartments still available. PM me if you're interested!

Good luck with the rest of you waiting on apps!

May 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I got in too! Thanks for the tip on apartments MediCynical--I'm going to check them out. :)

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Sure thing,

MCAT 34 P

You're my stats twin

cGPA 3.15
sGPA 3.07
MCAT 34R

Jul 28, 2010
Status
Hey I'm new here. Just accepted the offer to Loyola MAMS 2010 and was trying to get a idea of the area. I'm looking to live in Skokie with a buddy who got a new job in the are and was just curious where everyone else was.

ChiSox

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
AR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does anyone know how Loyola looks at undergraduate class that have been retaken?

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm gonna be going to RFU myself, I've heard about Loyola, but I just applied to the schools in the 2009 SMP sticky thread so I didn't apply to it. They're both in Chicago right?

Rippy087

7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm gonna be going to RFU myself, I've heard about Loyola, but I just applied to the schools in the 2009 SMP sticky thread so I didn't apply to it. They're both in Chicago right?
RFU is actually in North Chicago, which is not the same as Chicago (yea it's confusing). Loyola is in the city of Chicago. RFU is about an hour north of Chicago.

Billiken09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted back in early March and I have patiently been waiting for the end of August to arrive! Can't wait for orientation and I can't wait to meet you guys! Congrats to those who have made this step towards becoming a doctor!

May 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Any girl going to Loyola MAMS still looking for a roommate? :D Being accepted late has its disadvantages :(

ooitsrich

7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2011
Status
hello all!

i know this is an old thread but i was hoping to revive it and ask the current students their opinions and thoughts on the program thus far. thanks for your input! :]