• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Loyola Post Bacc

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
    AlexisW333 said:
    Any students that have completed or are currently enrolled in Loyola's medical masters? If so, what are the pros, cons,etc.?
    I know there's at least one SDNer I know in the program, but I haven't seen her lately. Nice girl. Anyway, she's in the program right now. I asked her some questions and she's very helpful.

But to get to your question, no one has completed the program yet--it's in its first year.

About the Ads

kiahs

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 2, 2003
    Chicago, Il
      I go to Loyola for undergrad Here is the info:

Bascially the program is designed for people who at the very least recieve a 25 on the MCAT.It is a year long engagment, (you take graduate level science courses) it is offered though the biology department. You take 24 credit hours break down: neurobio, advanced develop. bio, reading and critical literature, anatomy physiology, biochem. advanced cell bio, advanced genetics and medical ethics, I have also heard that once into the program you are gaurnteed an interview at Stritch (this i heard on the grapevine) oh, and a 3.0 or higher gpa deadline is July 1, 2005
      you can apply online at:
      www.luc.edu/admission/applynow.html.
      for more info on the program:
      www.luc.edu/depts/biology

Forgot to mention I heard it is not too bad everyone is really just trying to help you achieve your goal of becoming a doctor except in Biochem which I hear is killer because the professor is difficult and total estimated cost is around 26K.
      Hope this helps

kiahs

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 2, 2003
      Chicago, Il
        ChiSnowman said:
        Only thing I can say about (currenlty Loyola undergrad) is that at least you'll have nice facilites. Loyola just finished their Life Sciences building which is really nice.

The Quinlan Life Sciences building I have to admit is really really nice, it is state of the art and it cost a butt load I am sure. I am mad because I am a senior now and I finished all my science courses last year to be on top of things, it was anticipated to be finished in October of 2005 then but they got it up pretty quick damn them so in short I will never get to set foot in it but, it is still really really nice. BUt the MAMS people should have all their classes in it so at least they get to enjoy it.

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
        Moderator Emeritus
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 14, 2004
          ChiSnowman said:
          Only thing I can say about (currenlty Loyola undergrad) is that at least you'll have nice facilites. Loyola just finished their Life Sciences building which is really nice.
          Nice to know, but the Loyola MAMS program is entirely coursework-only, so the students may not get to experience all the advantages of newer facilities. I saw some of the pictures online though and the classrooms and whatnot look pretty decent...

I'll be honest...I would LOVE to go to Stritch and when I was making inquiries the people were really nice, but personally, I'm hesitant to apply to the program. I think the structure of the program could use some work. Well I guess there's also a big problem because I don't intend to take the MCAT till August.

Also, I believe you have to have a 3.5 in the program, a 3.0 undergrad gpa and a 28 MCAT or something to get the guaranteed interview (at least that's what I remembered reading in the flyer for the program). But I can't remember the exact numbers (I'd have to dig through my brochure/flyer pile). And of course, I don't know whether they will actually decide to interview all the students in the program (that sure would be nice!).

Edit: here's a post about the program I made many months ago http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1373180&postcount=4

Oh and I'll try and get around to PMing/emailing the SDNer that I know is in the program :)

blankspace

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 10, 2004
            I called the program a few months ago to ask a few questions. The one I didn't like the answer to was the glide year issue. They explained to me that a glide year was expected for graduates of their program. On a funnier note. I got a call back from them a month or so later asking me if I received the brochures that they sent. I told the girl sure did and then she asked if I had any other questions. I said yes and asked some very specific questions and she was silent no answer. So I asked another specific question silence again and then I said so what are answers and she said she was just a freshman student calling to make sure I got the brochures. I laughed and said yep I got them LOL. Of course I was wondering why she asked if I had any more questions. Like Phil said it will be hard to tell what the program is like since it is so new. I like that area of Chicago. Not far from the Gold Coast, Zoo and the City also close to the L.

kiahs

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 2, 2003
            Chicago, Il
              chicagomel said:
              Question to Kiahs:

Is Ken Olsen teaching the biochem class? I had him for a summer undergrad course during my post-bac stint, and I wanted to jump out a window.

I still remember him laughing about how hard his tests were. Him and his diet dr. pepper... :scared:

I believe it is a coalition of professors including Dr. Olsen, Castignetti and a ladyI think (davidson?) and Rodermund. I never had Olsen though I guess I was lucky,:)

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
              Moderator Emeritus
              10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              May 20, 2004
              1. Medical Student
                gnin said:
                " ...you have to have a 3.5 in the program, a 3.0 undergrad gpa and a 28 MCAT or something to get the guaranteed interview. "

Why would someone choose the Loyola program over the Rosalind Franklin AP program? With latter, you're virtually guaranteed an ACCEPTANCE, not just an interview, at the school's MD program if you complete the AP program with a 3.0+ GPA. (I don't mean to sound like a Rosalind Franklin troll, I'm just curious).

I think most people prefer Loyola because, though RFU is technically an accredited med school, almost everyone, given the choice over RFU and pretty much any other med school in the country, would pick the latter. RFU is 50+k a year and I remember seeing their match list once and not being particularly impressed. I cant speak for everyone, but at least for me, RFU is just above the Caribbean med schools.

Loyola is a pretty good school and if this program even accepts half of the MAMS students, it would be a much better option than RFU.

ChiSnowman

Making up for it
                10+ Year Member
                Oct 16, 2004
                  chicagomel said:
                  Question to Kiahs:

Is Ken Olsen teaching the biochem class? I had him for a summer undergrad course during my post-bac stint, and I wanted to jump out a window.

I still remember him laughing about how hard his tests were. Him and his diet dr. pepper... :scared:
                  Oh Olsen. I had him 3 times basically. Survey in Biochem, Biochem current concepts and biochem lab. He's a nice guy when you got to know him.

His tests got to be pretty predictable but that was because I had him for so many classes.

coredump

10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  May 10, 2002
                  Underwater
                    The basics of the program (admissions, courework, etc.) can be found at:

http://www.luc.edu/depts/biology/mams.htm

1. Location: Most of the students enrolled in the class are not from Chicago, so being close to the city is a big plus. However, the classes are not on the medical school campus (or anywhere near it). I've heard they might have 1 class on the Stritch campus next year. The Quinlan building is nice (brand new) - most of your classes will be in this building's main lecture hall.

Also, Chicago is saturated with hospitals = many volunteer opportunities. Most of them are a train ride away.

2. Cost: It is cheaper than most of the other programs ($24K). This is different than the regular graduate tuition at Loyola (2x as much). However, it is a 1 year program, so perhaps the cost is justified in that sense.

3. Instruction:
                    a) The teachers are PhDs, not MDs. The anatomy teacher from 1st semester was an MD - but he quit in the middle of the semester ( :eek: - "again, just the facts please"). :)

b) Classes are instruction-only, no labs. Depending on your preference, this is a pro or a con.

c) Anatomy class is lecture-based - no cadavers. This was a big concern expressed by many of the students.

d) Classe size is small - its just you and your 55 (this year) classmates.

4. Advising: They recently hired an advisor that is dedicated to the MAMS program. She is very accessible, and an extremely nice woman. However, she has no experience with medical school admissions. The pre-health advising office at Loyola is there to back her up though.

5. Affiliation with Stritch: Yes, according to the information, 28+ and 3.5+ gets an automatic interview at Stritch. However, and this not mentioned on the homepage, the 28 is average. Meaning, 25 (1st MCAT) + 28 (on a retake) = no interview for you. None of the students applying this cycle have gotten an interview from Stritch; many have applied there with such hopes. This may change next year.

6. Biochem was taught by an excellent, excellent professor last semester, but he was not Loyola faculty. He was former professor at UIC (maybe COM?). Sadly, he is no longer with the program either.

Hindiana_Jones

15+ Year Member
                    Mar 27, 2004
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      With latter, you're virtually guaranteed an ACCEPTANCE, not just an interview, at the school's MD program if you complete the AP program with a 3.0+ GPA.

Is this really true? I would go to RF, yes it has a bad rep, but for instance, the assistant head of ER at ________ Medical Center went to RF. So, people can do well. Sorry to go off topic. Also, just an FYI, Loyola's campus isn't really near the downtown part of the city of Chicago. Its on the north side, about 40 minutes away on the red line. It is not near Loyola's hospital, (which is in Melrose Park) although its close enough to Illinois Masonic (Trauma 1). Its not close to the Illinois Medical district (UIC/Rush/Cook County), and its even further from the University of Chicago.

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.