Loyola Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooseHC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm headed out to Chicago next week to interview at Loyola, and I was wondering if anyone knew what their interviews were like at all? interviewfeedback.com was pretty vague. Also I've heard that they make decisions pretty quickly after the interview..is that true too?
um, oh one more thing. I actually made a trip of it and am going to be in Chicago for a few days. Anyone have any suggestions as to cool things to do in Chicago in December?
Thanks and Good luck to everyone. This seems to be quite the busy time of year. Exams and checking my mail might be a bit too much for me to handle!

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to SDN but congratulations on the interview at Loyola. I am still waiting to hear from them... As for things to do in Chicago in December, I went to Northwestern undergrad and Loyola is out in Maywood so I don't know what you can do out there. If you are staying for a couple of days then you can go into the city and see Water Tower and walk down Michigan Avenue. There are a lot of really cool places to hang out downtown like ESPN Zone and the Harley Davidson store, really great restaurants like Maggiano's and Big Bowl. Anyway, if you need more info about Chi-town let me know and I would be happy to help. Good Luck on your Loyola interview...

P.S. Did you apply to Northwestern or University of Chicago?

hi, i interviewed at loyola on 10/16, accepted on 11/21. you will probably have two 1 on 1 interviews, each 30-50 minutes. then a short visit with the dean. the people are all very nice and you will be treated really well. one interview was very laid back and enjoyable, the other was a bit more difficult (lots of ethical questions). if you're staying in/near maywood, oakbrook is not too far, they have a large mall that is pretty nice, and most importantly has a couple nice restaurants. let me know if you have any questions, and good luck :)
bald

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. I'm always amazed at the quick and helpful answers you get on here.
I think I am going to head into Chicago for a day to check things out and maybe do some Christmas shopping. I also was going to try to swing by Finch to see what that was like. Where is that in relation to the city or in relation to Maywood?
I didn't apply to Northwestern or UChicago, but in retrospect, I wished that I had, but oh well.

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it! Hopefully my medical ethics course I just finished up can help me in the ethical interview..

finch is nowhere near loyola. maywood (where loyola is) is a suburb southwest of downtown chicago, while finch is in a *suburb* called north chicago (it's not in the city, which some people assume!), which is actually about 45 minutes NORTH of the city. the only way you could pull this off is if you'll have a car. i can post directions if you'd like.

sandflea--

perhaps you can answer this. just how feasible is attending finch and living in the city? do you think that the commute is doable? I live in hyde park, btw.

What's up with Loyola, I haven't heard from them yet? Turned in my secondary in August but no word.

thanks

Originally posted by nochaser:
•sandflea--

perhaps you can answer this. just how feasible is attending finch and living in the city? do you think that the commute is doable? I live in hyde park, btw.•••

i definitely wouldn't commute from hyde park all the way to north chicago. i'd say that's about an hour commute on a good day, and considering you'd be traveling during rush hour, it will be even worse. finch is on green bay road, which is a major street, so traffic moves along it faster, plus you can get to it easily taking either the edens or route 41, but it's still too far away. finch is up near the great lakes naval training base and not too far from great america, if that helps. i could see living in the city and attending loyola, because loyola is a lot closer (even taking traffic on the eisenhower into account), but not finch. on a positive note, rent in the area near finch is a helluva lot cheaper than you can find in the city--but the trade-off is that you're in a pretty depressing suburb far from the city. hope this helps!

sandflea,
couldn't you take lakeshore drive from the city and follow sheridan road up to greenbay road? That's they way I took to get to NU when I lived in the city.

finch is up near the great lakes naval training base and not too far from great america, if that helps

EGADS! Great America?!! Man, that's quite a ways away...oh well, guesss I'll save myself the ninety bucks! Thanks, Sandflea.

Originally posted by nypostbac:
•sandflea,
couldn't you take lakeshore drive from the city and follow sheridan road up to greenbay road? That's they way I took to get to NU when I lived in the city.•••

sure, you could, but it won't be any faster to take this route hyde park to finch, or even from evanston to finch. there are too many stoplights. plus there's a lot of traffic on north-bound lakeshore coming from the south side and on the north-bound dan ryan in the mornings, and the reverse in the evenings. it *may* be doable to commute to finch from other north shore suburbs (like evanston) if you're willing to put up with a horrendous daily commute that will cut into your study time, but i think it's too impractical from hyde park.

sandflea, your chicago traffic scout :D

Originally posted by nochaser:
finch is up near the great lakes naval training base and not too far from great america, if that helps

EGADS! Great America?!! Man, that's quite a ways away...oh well, guesss I'll save myself the ninety bucks! Thanks, Sandflea.•••

well, it's not like they're right next to each other. great america is still north of finch. but it's the same general area--pretty far north!

Someone asked "what is up with Loyola?"

To be honest, I'm not sure. It seems like they are looking for something specific, but I have no clue what that is. I have only average stats and I was accepted there, while one of my friends who has a 4.0 and 37 has not heard anything (and she really wants to go to loyola!) So I don't know, maybe they just shoot darts at the applications?

I just got an acceptance from Loyola on the 6th after interviewing on Nov 13th. I had a decent MCAT but average GPA. It seemed like they put alot of stock in the interviews and what kind of person you are- I got several ethical questions, and I felt like they were really finding out about my character rather than the usual questions about strenghts and weaknesses, which is why i was really flattered by their acceptance. I must say after visiting the school, Loyola jumped from near the bottom to near the top of my in-state choices.
And long as we're discussing commuting- Ive been debating the idea of commuting to Loyola from the NW burbs (Schaumburg), or renting nearby- any thoughts?

for those of you who are reapplicants, don't forget that loyola won't consider you until they've filled their class--reapplicants are automatically considered only for the waitlist.

congrats on the acceptance! but i really wouldn't want to commute from that far away (NW suburbs). you'd have to worry about horrendous eisenhower traffic making you late for class, for tests, etc, and you'd lose that much time out of your day: you'd get home later in the evening and have to wake up earlier in the morning. and what if your car breaks down? you'd be screwed--there's no direct way to get there using public transportation. personally i'd live in the area of whatever school i attend.