Loyola Secondary Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JZZZZZZZs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the questions asks..."What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?"

"self-education" & "independent scholastic work"--What the heck do they mean by these vague terms? Could reading on my own about things that interest me be considered? Or do they want something that's more formal? I'm confused?!!?! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Have u done any formal research or independent studies with professors? or did u do any self-directed stuff like learning a new language or tae kwon do on ur own? i think they want to see whether u think u've gained from the experience. in medicine, u won't always have a class to teach u material--u continue a lifelong education and must be able to take initiatives on your own to learn. so, has anything u've done on ur own (outside of class) benefited you? why? how?

some type of formal project or research is preferable...while reading and experiencing a topic you're interested in is not preferable, it's prolly okay...hope this helps!

I think they want something more formal. I chose to write about my research. If I were you I would make sure that whatever I wrote about conveys something worthwhile about yourself to the adcoms. I don't think "reading on your own about things that interest you" would be such a good thing to write about. Everyone reads stuff on their own.

I would say your best bet is to choose some activity that makes you different from everyone else. I had a friend who wrote about a cd-rom that he helped create that was made to teach 6th graders about science. Things of that nature. I'm sure you have some sort of extra curricular activity that you could use to write about. I would say they want something more than just reading on your own. (ie I read about playing the piano as a child and now I'm a state piano champion.) This is a pretty easy question because you can fit almost any of your extra curricular activities into it. Am I making sense?

I guess the point is whatever you choose to write about make sure it says something about you and shows more initiative than just "having read about it."

just my $0.02. Good luck! :)

I spent some time in guatemala, and started my senior thesis on the Public Health Disparities in Indigenous Villages in Guatemala. I wrote a grant proposal to my school and received $3000 to study it further. Things like lack of potable water, infrastructure, hospital (the nearest hospital in the town i was in was 4 hours away) things along that nature