leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
4. What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?

Do you think work done for a research paper would (not in the sciences) would fulfill what is asked for in this question?
 

zach1201

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
433
0
Status
I'd like some clarification on the question too. I've seen a few applications with the phrase "self-education". What does this entail?

From the Loyola prompt, it seems like anything done outside of school.
 

Lanced

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2005
288
0
Bay Area, CA
Status
I'd think any significant learning experience that was not a requisite for something else. Maybe taking a biostats class so you could help with the analysis of a study you were RAing for.
 
About the Ads

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
805
14
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
leahmaria said:
4. What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?

Do you think work done for a research paper would (not in the sciences) would fulfill what is asked for in this question?
well i would answer that question with any or all of the 3 parts of the question....1) self-education: have you taught yourself anything? (guitar/origami/astrophysics, etc) 2) research: what research have you done (published or unpublished, related to medicine or not) 3) independent scholastic work: what classes/studies have you made above and beyond the medschool requirements or the requirements of your major? (what classes did you take / TA / whatever that you really loved...example - on my application i talked about how i loved helping teach a physiology class and that i could see myself enjoying teaching medical students/residents once i'm a doctor)

hope that helps some. i don't remember that question from when i filled out the loyola secondary. but as a loyola m2, i'd say that loyola just wants to know what kind of learner you are...do you do just the bare minimum or do you study and learn because you want to. do you enjoy learning? this is what loyola wants to know. i'd put self-education and independent scholastic work in a very similar category, explaining how you learn. then i'd put research in its own category, because research is important to some people in medical school / residency...research is by no means a requirement for most schools/residencies (unless its a research-focused place) but it definitely doesn't hurt. again, hope that helps. just my $0.02.
 
OP
L

leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
brats800 said:
well i would answer that question with any or all of the 3 parts of the question....1) self-education: have you taught yourself anything? (guitar/origami/astrophysics, etc) 2) research: what research have you done (published or unpublished, related to medicine or not) 3) independent scholastic work: what classes/studies have you made above and beyond the medschool requirements or the requirements of your major? (what classes did you take / TA / whatever that you really loved...example - on my application i talked about how i loved helping teach a physiology class and that i could see myself enjoying teaching medical students/residents once i'm a doctor)

Thanks, that really helps! I was picturing independent scholastic work as something not connected to any class...when you put it that way, I have a lot of things I could use.
 

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
805
14
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
if you read it in the 'not connected to any class' way and there's stuff you can talk about in that way, all power to you. but otherwise, yeah, that's how i read it and it gives more opportunities to talk about stuff. :) good luck with the application.
 

TSK

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2006
372
1
Status
Medical Student
I submitted my AMCAS on 7/3 but it has yet to be verified. Because Loyola screens their applicants, should I wait to see if I made it past the first screening prior to accessing the secondary? From the link provided, it seems like I may be able to access it. The only thing I have a question about is that they ask you to put in a due date for the application. Is this something they provide you with after inviting you to fill out the secondary?

Mr. Jess said:
 

aerodivya

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
102
0
Status
Pre-Medical
how long did it take you guys to get your loyola secondary? did it come via e-mail or snail mail?
thanks!
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It comes in the mail. I don't have it yet.

For my self-education, I'm definitely talking about Bartending school and Bartending. Woo! :laugh:
 

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
5,168
139
Status
Resident [Any Field]
leahmaria said:
4. What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?

Do you think work done for a research paper would (not in the sciences) would fulfill what is asked for in this question?

Although Jackie's topic is more interesting than mine; I think I will talk about how I conducted a Community Health Analysis and discuss how I went about and what I learned (and what stunned the hell out of me :laugh: )
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haha. I was kidding with you kids. I am talking about research. Somehow I don't think bartending school is appropriate.... :p
 
About the Ads

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
5,168
139
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jackieMD2007 said:
Haha. I was kidding with you kids. I am talking about research. Somehow I don't think bartending school is appropriate.... :p
Depends on how you go about, did you invent a new mixed drink or discover the "perfect" drink ;)
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hahaha bartending is an interesting job that is for sure. :)
 

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
596
12
Status
Attending Physician
TSK said:
I submitted my AMCAS on 7/3 but it has yet to be verified. Because Loyola screens their applicants, should I wait to see if I made it past the first screening prior to accessing the secondary? From the link provided, it seems like I may be able to access it. The only thing I have a question about is that they ask you to put in a due date for the application. Is this something they provide you with after inviting you to fill out the secondary?
When you get the secondary information by mail, it has a due date stamped on it. So, yeah, you have to wait until you get the letter from Loyola. :luck:
 

yobynaes

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
296
3
Seattle
Status
Attending Physician
i received my loyola secondary yesterday via snail mail. it was stamped with a due date of August 14. so that's almost a month for us to work on it. good luck, everyone.
 

Lanced

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2005
288
0
Bay Area, CA
Status
What do you guys think of writing "Please refer to my AMCAS application" as an answer for some of the essay questions. The prompt asks us to do this if we've already covered any answer, but I feel like doing it on most of the questions may seem lazy. On the other hand I truely addressed most of the questions already in my AMCAS activities section and would rather not just repeat myself.

Any thoughts?
 
OP
L

leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Lanced said:
What do you guys think of writing "Please refer to my AMCAS application" as an answer for some of the essay questions. The prompt asks us to do this if we've already covered any answer, but I feel like doing it on most of the questions may seem lazy. On the other hand I truely addressed most of the questions already in my AMCAS activities section and would rather not just repeat myself.

Any thoughts?
With the space that you have on Loyola's secondary, it seems like you could expand on some of them, or chose another topic to write on. I think it would be fine to use it once or twice...but I wouldn't use it more than that.
 

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
805
14
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
Lanced said:
What do you guys think of writing "Please refer to my AMCAS application" as an answer for some of the essay questions. The prompt asks us to do this if we've already covered any answer, but I feel like doing it on most of the questions may seem lazy. On the other hand I truely addressed most of the questions already in my AMCAS activities section and would rather not just repeat myself.

Any thoughts?
i would tell you that using 'see amcas' on any essay would look very bad. yes, it looks lazy. but mostly, there is a limited amount of space for you to set yourself apart from every other applicant to loyola. why waste it? if you write 'see amcas' i see that as setting yourself apart from all the applicants who decided to use the space, even if it is to expand and rehash what you've already said. not writing an essay sets you apart in a negative spot. there might be people who've gotten away with using the 'see amcas' as an essay answer, but i wouldn't recommend it. i know that's not the answer you wanted, but its the answer i'd give you.
 
Z

Zyzzyva100

Hopefully someone will see this nearly dead thread and have some input....

On the Loyola secondary, where it says 25 lines for length, are they talking 25 lines in their tiny little essay box? Or 25 lines in Word using defaults? I thought I saw something on this, but now I can't find it, and thats a huge difference in length between the two.
 

dancer75088

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
223
0
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Zyzzyva100 said:
Hopefully someone will see this nearly dead thread and have some input....

On the Loyola secondary, where it says 25 lines for length, are they talking 25 lines in their tiny little essay box? Or 25 lines in Word using defaults? I thought I saw something on this, but now I can't find it, and thats a huge difference in length between the two.
I just typed out my essays in word, making sure that they were no longer than 25 lines, and then I cut and pasted into the secondary. Nothing was cut off, when I checked it, so I assume that it is ok. Hope this helps! Good luck! :luck:
 

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
414
2
USA
Status
Attending Physician
Zyzzyva100 said:
Hopefully someone will see this nearly dead thread and have some input....

On the Loyola secondary, where it says 25 lines for length, are they talking 25 lines in their tiny little essay box? Or 25 lines in Word using defaults? I thought I saw something on this, but now I can't find it, and thats a huge difference in length between the two.
They actually mean 25 lines when you look at it on the pritn preview page. I'm not sure how that adds up before you look at the preview or in word
 

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
596
12
Status
Attending Physician
jstuds_66 said:
They actually mean 25 lines when you look at it on the pritn preview page. I'm not sure how that adds up before you look at the preview or in word
25 lines in print preview is longer by far than 25 lines in the text boxes and longer, I think, than 25 lines in word, too. Hope this helps! :luck:
 
About the Ads