Loyola Stritch vs UW SMPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, UW-Madison is a solid school, great at research, and a good deal above Loyola which is more primary-care focused. I don't think UW-Madison will stop you from matching into Chicago, and it will give you a bit of a leg up for more competitive specialties. Find yourself a boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever you're into in Madison and you'll be fine. If this was MCW, I would say take Loyola, but UW-Madison is a good school. My PI taught there and worked there on faculty for several years. Remember, your support system isn't that far away, and regardless you'll be busy anyways. Better curriculum, better research, shorter pre-clinical, the choice is obvious.
 
I believe Wisconsin will send you for three months during clerkships to a random site in the state, which I didn’t like. The patient population of Madison is not as diverse as Chicago either Just some of the reasons why I turned down WI. I’d pick Loyola
 
I don't see, personally, how a diverse patient population will impact medical education. There's bound to be a free clinic somewhere if you have a particularly strong itch to scratch. Diverse student body yes, but patient population, please. People can disagree, but you're there to get an MD and move on. Who cares. You'll see everything you need to see in Madison. Your residency and where you actually practice is where diversity should play a bigger role. Madison is a great city, and Loyola isn't exactly in the best area of Chicago. Please take UW-Madison. It will be a much better environment for matching to a competitive specialty! And let's face it, if you want a competitive specialty, then your patient population will naturally end up being more affluent and "less diverse."
 
For what it's worth, UW SMPH is also super "Jesuit-y" in its focus and mission, as well, since it's a public school that puts a big emphasis on public health and health equity. You also have the ability to rank/prefer where you would like to go for the clerkship you are supposed to do outside of Madison, and you can go to Milwaukee. You can also to TRIUMPH, where you will do all of your clerkships and electives in clinics and hospitals in Milwaukee, if the bigger city vibe is really what you're looking for. I think there is also an advantage to taking Step 1 and 2 after core clerkships . . . but hey, if your heart is telling you Loyola, go there!