Loyola vs. Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where to go?

• Loyola (Stritch)

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Rush

Votes: 23 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i had a fellow sdn inform me that he heard from rush this past week - has anyone else heard?

Members don't see this ad.

Loyola's facilities are newer and so Loyola seems better. They also have shorter lectures schedules. However, Loyola is not in Chicago. Rush has older facilities, but is in Chicago and has a better clinical reputation. You also rotate through Cook County. Non-medical and non-Chicago people will recognize the Loyola name because of the university. Medical people seem to prefer Rush. Frankly, you'll be fine with either program. I consider them to be at the same level.

I guess one of the other things for me was the application process itself. Loyola had a relatively easy secondary, a friendly admissions staff, fast response to questions, a telephone status check time set up etc. Rush had one of the longest, most busy-workish secondaries and a non-contactable admissions staff. I guess it just gave me a peek into the institutional cultural climate, and I preferred Loyola.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've driven by rush a million times, but I've never seen their actual med school. are the classes held within the glass building with the sign "Rush University?" does that mean they share the facilities with the nursing students?

(not trying to say anything about rush. i'm just curious)

gary5 said:
Loyola's facilities are newer and so Loyola seems better. They also have shorter lectures schedules. However, Loyola is not in Chicago. Rush has older facilities, but is in Chicago and has a better clinical reputation. You also rotate through Cook County. Non-medical and non-Chicago people will recognize the Loyola name because of the university. Medical people seem to prefer Rush. Frankly, you'll be fine with either program. I consider them to be at the same level.

I live in Chicago and I would consider myself a "medical person"... whatever that means. I'm going with Loyola.

I disagree with the poster's claim that Rush is considered to have a "better clinical reputation." I have researched both schools extensively and haven't come across any information that would suggest this. Perhaps he's using anecdotal evidence (e.g. a couple years ago he was accepted by Rush and waitlisted by Loyola). From what I can tell, they seem to be fairly similar (the facilities notwithstanding). Like one poster said before, each has its benefits. If you already have a specialty picked out, look at the match lists or U.S. News rankings.

ExtraAverage said:
I live in Chicago and I would consider myself a "medical person"... whatever that means. I'm going with Loyola.

I disagree with the poster's claim that Rush is considered to have a "better clinical reputation." I have researched both schools extensively and haven't come across any information that would suggest this. Perhaps he's using anecdotal evidence (e.g. a couple years ago he was accepted by Rush and waitlisted by Loyola). From what I can tell, they seem to be fairly similar (the facilities notwithstanding). Like one poster said before, each has its benefits. If you already have a specialty picked out, look at the match lists or U.S. News rankings.

I worked with a Chicago physician recently and we were discussing medical programs. I mentioned that Loyola has newer med school facilities. He said that he thought that Loyola's preclinical program may be better and that Rush's clinical program is better. That's the opinion of one physician. The programs are ranked similarly and people do well coming from either place.

i'm haveing a hard time discerning between the large discrepancy in the poll - why is there such a large gap if these schools are inherently the same?

p.s - anyone else heard from rush (who have interviewed in the last month)

cubs08 said:
i'm haveing a hard time discerning between the large discrepancy in the poll - why is there such a large gap if these schools are inherently the same?

p.s - anyone else heard from rush (who have interviewed in the last month)

Loyola has a large university and so they are better known nationally. Loyola is a university with a hospital and medical school, whereas Rush is a hospital with a medical and nursing school (that's how I view it).