Loyola vs. UIC vs. Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BionicOne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you guys think is better? If you were accepted to all three, which would you go to and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I think all three schools are relatively equivalent. I would choose UIC simply b/c I am an Illinois resident and the tuition will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

I think UIC-Chicago has a class of 300 students, whereas stritch has a class of 140. I'm sure that affects many aspects of the educational experience. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the 300 student class size at UIC is for only the Chicago campus or if it includes the rockford, peoria, and champaign campuses?

Does anyone know if the 300 student class size at UIC is for only the Chicago campus or if it includes the rockford, peoria, and champaign campuses?

I believe the class size on the Chicago campus is ~175 for the M1 and M2 years...

the big draw to uic is the tuition. If that was not something to consider I would choose Rush.

Each school has it's advantages and drawbacks.

UIC is the cheapest of the 3. I hear the students aren't very happy though.

Rush is supposed to have great clinical rotations. It's expensive and supposedly the administration is a bit out of whack.

Loyola is the most student-oriented. It's not actually in the city, plus it's expensive.

Every school is great in its own respect, though.

This is just the opinion of a guy who grew up in Chicago and has had limited exposure to each school. I'm obviously a bit partial to Loyola, having been accepted there, though.

man of all the states to be a resident in...why oh why does it have to be the one with the highest tuition? not to mention rent around all of these schools is like 700-800 a month. i had a friend who's an alabama resident, top 25 school and tuition was like 10k. i guess we can take solace in the fact that we live in/near the coolest city in the midwest!

What are the living expenses in some of the other cities in which there is an illinois med school?

I, of course, would STRONGLY prefer to be in chicago, but am curious about the other options.

well if you want to be in chicago or any other big city you are stuck. i know that pritzker and northwestern both have high rents near the schools, but apparently the price of living in chicago is a bargain compared to LA, SF, etc.

If you want cheap rent you've gotta go with less desirable cities or college towns. When I compare the total cost at UIC with that at UMich, UMich is only slightly more expensive OOS because the rent is cheaper and UIC's in-state tuition is an abomination.

Sorry, i didn't formulate my question very well. I actually meant chicago in relation to Rockford, Peoria, and U/C.

Members don't see this ad :)
i chose loyola over uic (for some reason never got an interview at rush...not all that torn up about it, though...wouldn't have changed my decision)

us news ranks uic above the other two based pretty much exclusively on research funding (so if that's your thing, choose uic). when you talk to doctors in illinois, most will tell you that loyola/rush are better schools, though.

as was mentioned, loyola is not in the city limits of chicago (it's about 10 miles west...so not far away. i actually live in chicago) you can still do rotations at chicago hospitals if you choose to, so that really isn't a huge factor either in my opinion.

loyola is definitely very student-friendly. once i got my acceptance at loyola, i didn't give a second thought to uic, and i have had no reason to regret my decision. my experience with uic students is that very few are happy with their school, and that's not an environment where i would want to study medicine.

and finally, as someone mentioned, tuition at uic isn't particularly cheap. it is less than loyola, but if you choose to live in one of the suburbs near loyola, the money you save in rent could make that difference even less significant. the key is to pick which school you like best. none of those three are hopkins-level prestige schools, but all are good - and depending on who you talk to, you'll get different opinions about which is "best"

that said, as a loyola student, i say loyola blows the other two out of the water! ;)

what are people's feelings about SIU in comparison to the chicago schools? (Especially those interested in Primary Care, and who don't really care about research)

A year ago he was highest ranked PC school in Illinois according to US News, now it's like 4th or 5th. So obviously the ranking system is flawed, but what is the consensus? Which ranking was more indicative? I ask b/c it will most likely be the least expensive option for me, and that makes me all the more wary of the quality....

what are people's feelings about SIU in comparison to the chicago schools? (Especially those interested in Primary Care, and who don't really care about research)

A year ago he was highest ranked PC school in Illinois according to US News, now it's like 4th or 5th. So obviously the ranking system is flawed, but what is the consensus? Which ranking was more indicative? I ask b/c it will most likely be the least expensive option for me, and that makes me all the more wary of the quality....

SIU is excellent for primary care. Those of us in Chicago tend to not apply as they give preference to Illinois residents NOT from the Chicago area (we get in-state tuition, but we're treated as out-of-state in the admissions process, basically). They're very heavy on clinical stuff early on, and definitely a good choice for someone interested in primary care.

Loyola is also very heavy on clinical stuff, so it would also be a good choice.

Additionally, while it's not an attractive option to a lot of people for some reason, the Urbana/Rockford or Urbana/Peoria tracks of UIC are excellent for primary care (far more so than the Chicago track).

Do not be concerned about the quality of education at SIU by any means...it may not carry the respect it should outside of the midwest, but if you're interested in primary care, you'll get an excellent education and have no problem getting a solid residency in one of the primary care specialties.

another factor to consider is the course-load / time in the classroom during the first 2 years. at loyola, we are in class somewhere between 3 (8:30-11:30am) and 7 or so hours/day, with the average being towards the lower end during the m1 year and toward the middle/upper end during m2 year. (this data is just my opinion, without doing the math other than in my head)...i don't know what uic does, but i think rush is in lecture a lot more than we are. we spend our time in small groups/lab and studying on our own more. so some of your decision should be based on how you learn best. loyola has like a 95ish% attendance rate at most lectures. do you like lectures? if you learn really well at lectures, pick a lecture-heavy school. if you learn well in small groups, pick one that does lots of that. loyola has a good mix of the two, in my opinion. just my $0.02

I think the two biggest considerations (tuition, and time in lecture) have already been mentioned, but one more HUGE difference between the schools - the "feel."

Just walk around all three schools and you will see a huge difference in facilities, student interactions, extracurricular activities etc. The "feel" is just different. Consider which "feel" you like the most. I am a bit biased though and would say Loyola...

Like stated before, SIU doesn't get much respect (again, I think it's because people associate it with the undergrad campus). It is REALLY good for primary care, though. They do well in their primary care matches and on the first day at Mayo, they ask "Who here is from Southern Illinois? Everyone, look around. These people will be your chief residents"!

I'm getting awfully tired of not hearing anything from my in-state schools. The only contact made was my rejection from Pritzker.

I'm getting awfully tired of not hearing anything from my in-state schools. The only contact made was my rejection from Pritzker.

Same here :mad: I've been complete for so long now at these damn Chicago schools. It really seems like its an OOS year for Chicago.

Also, Rush with there pseudo invites was really painful. Chicago schools are as cold as its winters.

I love reading the UIC bashing on this thread. I picked UIC over Loyola and Rush and I would do it again in a heart beat if given the chance. All three schools will provide you with a great education, but in my opinion, UIC is definitely the best of the three. Do a search of my previous threads to find out why. Also, I completely disagree with a previous poster who said most doctors would say Loyola and Rush are better. My experience has been just the opposite - most doctors I encounter (non-UIC physicians btw) say UIC students are better trained clinically than Loyola and Rush students and that UIC is a better school too! Go figure. Carry on UIC bashing...

I think most of us are just bitter at that fact the we seem to be the slowest state school out there:)

I LOVED my interview day at Loyola. It is an amazing, amazing place.

I am hoping for an acceptance....:luck:

As a current student of UIC, I can agree that yes, our tuition is hardly a bargain when compared to other state schools, but you will be saving a relatively substantial sum of money over private schools. (assuming you consider a savings of about one year's tuition + interest substantial.)

The main argument I always hear against UIC is that the students are left to drown their first two years. While I can agree that we are sometimes surprised by a few things here or there, they do an adequate job of taking care of us. Your hand isn't held, that's true, but as future physicians I don't think a little bit of self-responsibility is a negative. And if lecture is your thing, well, depending on the class, attendance is hit or miss here, and lecture is not always that important. Some lecturers are great, some are mind-numbing. One big positive for UIC is the large amounts of early clinical exposure, and a comment that our third and fourth years love to brag about is that attendings consistently comment that when UIC students get to their clerkships they are much better prepared than students from other schools.

In regards to Loyola and Rush, I think the more frequent argument I hear is that the hospitals are better, but not necessarily the med-schools. But those opinions are subjective so no offense meant =). I have a few friends at Loyola who are enormously happy with their school. They have great facilities and great early clinical exposure. The main drawback (or positive, depending on your likings) I suppose would be the suburban location (which won't provide you much cheaper rent, very comparable since many UIC students pay about 500-600/month). And there is the private school tuition. Another thing that I'm on the fence about is the way Loyola approaches classes one class at a time. As in for the next few weeks, you only do anatomy. After you finish that class, you take physiology until you're done with that, and so on. It'd be nice to be able to focus on one class without worrying about another, but I'd worry about burning out on that subject. Perhaps someone who's experienced in this can comment?

Rush also is an excellent school, but you've got that private tuition again, with essentially the exact same location as UIC. Most friends of mine at Rush are also very happy with the school, and the only complaint I've heard is that they see a somewhat non-diverse group of patients when doing rotations (how this is true, I have no idea since they do a number of rotations at County). I guess the implication was that the patients at Rush (a private hospital) are usually pretty healthy, so they don't see much variabilty in cases. Oh, and Rush doesn't have a gym, but rush students can pay ~300/year to use the UIC gym, which is free (and very nice) for UIC students.

Long story short: I chose UIC. Money aside knowing what I know now, I'd still choose UIC. Money aside pre-matriculation, I probably would have leaned towards Rush. But the idea that UIC students aren't happy is mostly hogwash. =) We're tired and beat-down, but we're medical students, so it goes with the territory.

good post.

As a current student of UIC, I can agree that yes, our tuition is hardly a bargain when compared to other state schools, but you will be saving a relatively substantial sum of money over private schools. (assuming you consider a savings of about one year's tuition + interest substantial.)

The main argument I always hear against UIC is that the students are left to drown their first two years. While I can agree that we are sometimes surprised by a few things here or there, they do an adequate job of taking care of us. Your hand isn't held, that's true, but as future physicians I don't think a little bit of self-responsibility is a negative. And if lecture is your thing, well, depending on the class, attendance is hit or miss here, and lecture is not always that important. Some lecturers are great, some are mind-numbing. One big positive for UIC is the large amounts of early clinical exposure, and a comment that our third and fourth years love to brag about is that attendings consistently comment that when UIC students get to their clerkships they are much better prepared than students from other schools.

In regards to Loyola and Rush, I think the more frequent argument I hear is that the hospitals are better, but not necessarily the med-schools. But those opinions are subjective so no offense meant =). I have a few friends at Loyola who are enormously happy with their school. They have great facilities and great early clinical exposure. The main drawback (or positive, depending on your likings) I suppose would be the suburban location (which won't provide you much cheaper rent, very comparable since many UIC students pay about 500-600/month). And there is the private school tuition. Another thing that I'm on the fence about is the way Loyola approaches classes one class at a time. As in for the next few weeks, you only do anatomy. After you finish that class, you take physiology until you're done with that, and so on. It'd be nice to be able to focus on one class without worrying about another, but I'd worry about burning out on that subject. Perhaps someone who's experienced in this can comment?

Rush also is an excellent school, but you've got that private tuition again, with essentially the exact same location as UIC. Most friends of mine at Rush are also very happy with the school, and the only complaint I've heard is that they see a somewhat non-diverse group of patients when doing rotations (how this is true, I have no idea since they do a number of rotations at County). I guess the implication was that the patients at Rush (a private hospital) are usually pretty healthy, so they don't see much variabilty in cases. Oh, and Rush doesn't have a gym, but rush students can pay ~300/year to use the UIC gym, which is free (and very nice) for UIC students.

Long story short: I chose UIC. Money aside knowing what I know now, I'd still choose UIC. Money aside pre-matriculation, I probably would have leaned towards Rush. But the idea that UIC students aren't happy is mostly hogwash. =) We're tired and beat-down, but we're medical students, so it goes with the territory.

Totally agree with everything you said. I'm now well into my 3rd year and I have had the pleasure of working with both UIC and Rush students at a local free clinic. I have been very impressed with the students I've interacted with and I am confident that we are all on our way to becoming very competent physicians. There are pros and cons to each school and each hospital, and it is probably a wash in the end. The tough thing about being a premed is that you don't really know what is going to be important to you later in the game. That said, it seems like most of us who chose between UIC, Rush, and Loyola are pretty happy and would probably choose the same place again so it is a tough but very fortunate choice between the schools. Loyola has been good to me and has helped me develop a strong sense of social justice and commitment to service. We have a very responsive administration and are very well taken care of. I hear the same thing of Rush students. In my first two years, I had more opportunities for clinical experience than I could fit into my schedule.

You can't make a bad choice between UIC, Rush, and Loyola so just do your best to pick the right fit for you.

Good luck!
Laurie

UIC out-of-state tuition is absolutely ridiculous (52k). I've heard varying things about a person's ability to establish residency after one year of matriculation. Anyone have any comments on that?

UIC out-of-state tuition is absolutely ridiculous (52k). I've heard varying things about a person's ability to establish residency after one year of matriculation. Anyone have any comments on that?

it's more or less impossible. i went to undergrad in illinois (and have lived here all my life), and i remember friends in undergrad not being able to establish residency. additionally, i talked to two uic students on my interview last year, and they were both told that they could establish residency only to find out that they really couldn't.

the law in illinois is written that to become a resident of the state, you must live in the state for a period of at least 12 months for a purpose other than education. the main way they prove this is that must earn at least 50% of your annual budget in the state of illinois. so, if you were to try to become a resident after your first year of med school and tuition is $52k plus your living expenses (i.e. your budget), you would need to find a way to earn about $28k-$30k in illinois while keeping up with your coursework. it's technically possible, but it's really not going to happen. if you're an OOS student at UIC, you'll be paying OOS tuition for all four years. on the upside, you'll be a doctor when you're done and you'll be able to pay off your astronomical debt relatively easily.

it's more or less impossible. i went to undergrad in illinois (and have lived here all my life), and i remember friends in undergrad not being able to establish residency. additionally, i talked to two uic students on my interview last year, and they were both told that they could establish residency only to find out that they really couldn't.

the law in illinois is written that to become a resident of the state, you must live in the state for a period of at least 12 months for a purpose other than education. the main way they prove this is that must earn at least 50% of your annual budget in the state of illinois. so, if you were to try to become a resident after your first year of med school and tuition is $52k plus your living expenses (i.e. your budget), you would need to find a way to earn about $28k-$30k in illinois while keeping up with your coursework. it's technically possible, but it's really not going to happen. if you're an OOS student at UIC, you'll be paying OOS tuition for all four years. on the upside, you'll be a doctor when you're done and you'll be able to pay off your astronomical debt relatively easily.

I'm going to be married to a IL resident so my household income will be earned in the state of IL. Will I be considered a resident after living in IL for 12 months? I guess I won't worry about it until I hear back from UIC :scared:

Def not what I wanted to hear.
Well for those waiting for UIC interviews you may have an extra spot open if this is true. I can't afford $52K a year for a school that can't even break into the top 50.

I'm going to be married to a IL resident so my household income will be earned in the state of IL. Will I be considered a resident after living in IL for 12 months? I guess I won't worry about it until I hear back from UIC :scared:

hmm...that's an interesting situation...definitely worth checking with the financial aid office on that...seems like it would be a way to get residency though.

I love reading the UIC bashing on this thread. I picked UIC over Loyola and Rush and I would do it again in a heart beat if given the chance. All three schools will provide you with a great education, but in my opinion, UIC is definitely the best of the three. Do a search of my previous threads to find out why. Also, I completely disagree with a previous poster who said most doctors would say Loyola and Rush are better. My experience has been just the opposite - most doctors I encounter (non-UIC physicians btw) say UIC students are better trained clinically than Loyola and Rush students and that UIC is a better school too! Go figure. Carry on UIC bashing...

Note: I have nothing invested in any of these three schools.

This statement means nothing. Every medical school you visit is going to claim that its students are "more prepared clinically than other schools." They will tell you about how "when you rotate with students from other schools you can always tell who the students from X are."

It's all nonsense. I've worked with students from about 5 other schools and I haven't seen a lick of difference in "clinical skills."

Just withdrew my interview invitation from Rush...seems like a good school but I was accepted to a school Id rather be at so I thought I would give up my spot so someone else could have it...seems like a very secretive school their whole process I find very strange...

This statement means nothing. Every medical school you visit is going to claim that its students are "more prepared clinically than other schools." They will tell you about how "when you rotate with students from other schools you can always tell who the students from X are."

It's all nonsense. I've worked with students from about 5 other schools and I haven't seen a lick of difference in "clinical skills."

Hmm...interesting...I have heard this statement from every single school, so I was beginning to wonder....

Another thing that I'm on the fence about is the way Loyola approaches classes one class at a time. As in for the next few weeks, you only do anatomy. After you finish that class, you take physiology until you're done with that, and so on. It'd be nice to be able to focus on one class without worrying about another, but I'd worry about burning out on that subject. Perhaps someone who's experienced in this can comment?

This is one thing that I really like about our program. You never have to ditch studying physiology to prepare for your anatomy test. Plus, you only have to stink of formalin for 11 weeks. :)

This is one thing that I really like about our program. You never have to ditch studying physiology to prepare for your anatomy test. Plus, you only have to stink of formalin for 11 weeks. :)

agreed...the thought of doing anatomy for an entire semester :eek: or an entire year :wow: is just beyond unpleasant. the one class at a time system is fantastic.

Can anyone comment on UIC chicago campus vs. its two satellite campuses? Because I have a friend who was in the BS/MD program at UIC and ended up Urbana due to size constraints, but is very displeased with the school thus far. His biggest complaints were:

1) lectures were not helpful
2) facilities looked very dated
3) no was really invovled in the student organizations

Hahah. Yeah, that's something I've often envied about Loyola's program. More than once I've sat through an anatomy lecture with my laptop plugging away at Histo-time for the impending histo test...

Can anyone comment on UIC chicago campus vs. its two satellite campuses? Because I have a friend who was in the BS/MD program at UIC and ended up Urbana due to size constraints, but is very displeased with the school thus far. His biggest complaints were:

1) lectures were not helpful
2) facilities looked very dated
3) no was really invovled in the student organizations
Ok, as far as Chicago's campus goes: Yes, our facilities are a bit dated. There's some new stuff, but for the most part this stuff is old. The histo department sometimes feels like it's left in the stone age. All of the other departments do a fine job with keeping up with the times, but the building is OLD. Built in 1936, but it's actually a pretty decent architectural specimen. Some lectures are very good. Some lectures are terrible. Some lectures are helpful to go to but you could get by just fine without... you just kinda feel it out. There tends to be a culture of non-attendance at UIC which I feel propagates the lack of attendance moreso than the lack of quality of lectures (usually, although sometimes the lectures are just that bad).

Nobody uses much of UIC's resources. The library is old and ugly. A lot of UIC kids abuse Rush's resources (the library and study rooms), because they let us, it's close, and it's nicer there. We also have access to Loyola's very nice resources (at least the undergrad campuses). The water tower campus library is probably my favorite place in the city to study.

Also, keep in mind that yes, our facilities for your first two years are maybe a little old, but the hospital isn't in bad shape from what I've seen, and there's so many other clinical sites to offer too...

As far as student organizations go, everybody here is involved. There's so many different organizations that have something going on all the time that you'd never get any time to yourself if you signed up for everything. There's no shortage of opportunity or enthusiasm here.

It the statement meant nothing, then people wouldn't say it. I've heard many PDs echo the statement. Gotta mean something...

If you are a under represented minority, there is a very good chance you can have your out-of-state tuition waved and pay what IL kids pay - just talk to the Dean of Admissions once you've been accepted. Of the 10 or so out-of-state URMs I'm fairly close to, everyone single one of them are paying in-state tuition. If you're not a URM, sucks to be you.

It the statement meant nothing, then people wouldn't say it. I've heard many PDs echo the statement. Gotta mean something...

You'd think so, but it doesn't. I suppose there are outlier schools on either ends of the spectrum but I think most attendings would tell you that medical students are only distinguishable as individuals, not as groups from schools.

The best intern I've seen so far was from a "no name" DO school. The worst was from a prestigious MD school in a large metro area. I know that's a pretty small sample size, but I can tell you that people aren't walking around the hospital saying, "oh man! this new student is from X SOM so he's going to be SHARP!"