LPC or MHC Admissions questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacman8794

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that forgot my background: I'm a junior majoring in Bio and I want to be an LPC or LMHC ( they're the same thing as you all know). I have taken intro to Psych and Stats. I recently bought the book "Graduate Studies in Psych. 2008" and looked up some schools w/ those programs and what they required for admissions. I just have a few questions for you guys. I have to register for spring classes and so I'm getting very anxious as to how things will pan out. On top of that I just started studying for the GREs, what fun.

1) Getting a MA in Counseling Psych. is the program I should take for LPC, right? A lot of the schools who don't have the MHC program have the MA in Counseling Psych program and looking them up i know they're the same thing w/ a different name, but I wanted to double check w/ you guys.

2) If I go to an MHC program in NY for example, can I take the licensing test for New Jersey?; ultimately I want to have my license for Jersey regardless of where I go.

3) Some schools have different requirements: For example: Adelphi University wants Developmental Psych., Research/Experimental Psych., and Psychopathology where as Rowan University wants Abormal Psych. and Research Methods or Sats in Psych. I noticed most schools want the Research Methods class, but some differ in whether or not they want Abormal, Developmental, etc. So my question is: How do I go about taking the psych classes I need? Do I just take an abnormal, developmental, psychopathology and research methods? Also, some schools don't want any classes where others just want Research Methods.

4) Does intro to child development count as a developmental psych class and does psychopathology in adulthood count as an abnormal psych? I was told they were, but I just want to check w/ you guys.

5) Will it affect whether or not I get in if I take these classes after I apply to them? I might have a couple of the courses not taken yet by the time I apply but I'll def. have them done before I graduate later that year.

Thanks so much to anyone that replies, I'm stressed right now trying to figure al this out. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

This is somewhat complicated with lots of questions. First I suggest reading the CACREP/NBCC website to find programs that are accredited that will lead to Licensure as an LPC/MHC. Then contact on of those programs, and ask them what the requirements will be to gain admission. That should clear up a lot of questions about what school and what particular program you need to gain licensure.

Just to help I included the link to the CACREP website.

http://www.cacrep.org/directory-current.html

Jeff

You can also PM with your questions if you would like.