MA/MS LPC with criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axl86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few threads on this subject already, but I want to explain my case specifically. I am a combat vet that came back from Iraq in 2009. Had no prior drug abuse and when i got back ended up with a terrible opioid addiction that lasted until 2013 when I finally came to my senses and got clean. I was also in this time diagnosed with PTSD which they claim my drug use was a coping mechanism. Now that being said ive been clean for 2 years and am about a year out from my BS in Psychology. I was planning on going straight into a MA/MS in Clinical Psych and wanted to work at a VA hospital on a mental health floor working with vets with substance abuse and/or PTSD. I feel like my real world experience with these subjects, plus my training would make me not only a knowledgeable, but also, a relate-able clinician. My only problem is that during my time addicted, I was arrested quite a few times. To be specific I have one DUI, one shoplifting, and two misdemeanor possession charges. I have already felt the sting from my past decisions when it comes to finding a job and am really concerned that after all my schooling that i wont be able to obtain a license or a job. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on this subject? Should I just forget grad school? Should I just finish up my BS degree and hope for the best finding some other type of job that wont require a license? I am really passionate about helping other vets with the same issues I had. I'm really hoping to be an inspiration to troubled young vets whom i would counsel.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are a few threads on this subject already, but I want to explain my case specifically. I am a combat vet that came back from Iraq in 2009. Had no prior drug abuse and when i got back ended up with a terrible opioid addiction that lasted until 2013 when I finally came to my senses and got clean. I was also in this time diagnosed with PTSD which they claim my drug use was a coping mechanism. Now that being said ive been clean for 2 years and am about a year out from my BS in Psychology. I was planning on going straight into a MA/MS in Clinical Psych and wanted to work at a VA hospital on a mental health floor working with vets with substance abuse and/or PTSD. I feel like my real world experience with these subjects, plus my training would make me not only a knowledgeable, but also, a relate-able clinician. My only problem is that during my time addicted, I was arrested quite a few times. To be specific I have one DUI, one shoplifting, and two misdemeanor possession charges. I have already felt the sting from my past decisions when it comes to finding a job and am really concerned that after all my schooling that i wont be able to obtain a license or a job. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on this subject? Should I just forget grad school? Should I just finish up my BS degree and hope for the best finding some other type of job that wont require a license? I am really passionate about helping other vets with the same issues I had. I'm really hoping to be an inspiration to troubled young vets whom i would counsel.
Each state has it's own regulations and restrictions but I don't think that a prior history of substance abuse or misdemeanors would disqualify you from getting licensed. If you have 5 years clean and sober when you are applying for the license and have demonstrated the ability to cope with the rigors of school and training, then it should be possible. You will probably have to document treatment history and satisfactory completion of legal stuff so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Each state has it's own regulations and rstircitons but I don't think that a prior history of substance abuse or misdemeanors would disqualify you from getting licensed. If you have 5 years clean and sober when you are applying for the license and have demonstrated the ability to cope with the rigors of school and training, then it should be possible. You will probably have to document treatment history and satisfactory completion of legal stuff so keep that in mind.

The barrier may be the extensive federal background check. I don't know how stringent they are to non-doctoral level providers. May be worth a chat with some HR people in the VA. A VSO may be able to get you some of this info as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The barrier may be the extensive federal background check. I don't know how stringent they are to non-doctoral level providers. May be worth a chat with some HR people in the VA. A VSO may be able to get you some of this info as well.

This is what I was thinking. I have an appointment coming up at a VA hospital and I will try to get more info while there. Also I'm going to get in touch with my states licensing board and find out the policies and regulations

This is what I was thinking. I have an appointment coming up at a VA hospital and I will try to get more info while there. Also I'm going to get in touch with my states licensing board and find out the policies and regulations
I was just speaking to the license issue. I seem to remember the VA has a question on the application about if you have been arrested in the last ten years. So you will likely have to 'splain it.