LSU New Orleans Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not get an email. They told me when I called the admissions office. I think they ranked the people in limbo at the last meeting. The highest are supposed to get the spots open after may 15. The rest are placed on an ordered wait list or rejected. At least that is what I read.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a little worried there. I've had problems getting stuff straight with the admissions office. Hopefully everyone still waiting gets good news soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they have been sending rejection letters to those that had interviewed?

I got the letter today. ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited: Good luck to everyone. Hope to see you there.

Congratulations Hoju! In August you'll start....take your first test....and before you know it you'll be graduating.

I got the letter today. ACCEPTED!!! :soexcited: Good luck to everyone. Hope to see you there.

Congratulations Hoju! In August you'll start....take your first test....and before you know it you'll be graduating.

Thanks Termwean. It seems like a huge time span, but then again undergrad flew by in about 5 minutes.

Does anyone know if they have been sending rejection letters to those that had interviewed?

DisDude7, I have had the same situation as you. I interviewed in November, received a "no decision" letter in November and another in February. Yesterday I received a letter saying I'm on a "prioritized alternate" list. Have you heard something yet? I don't understand the "prioritized." Is there more than one alternate list? Ahh, it must mean one ranked wait-list huh?

Last edited:
Hey Mealac,

I also received a letter stating that I was on the prioritized alternate list. As I recall from Dr. Eubanks, it is a short list of ranked students that didn't quite make the cut after the May 15 decision day. Many people (that were on the no decision list) received rejection letters this past week.

I believe that after June 30, the alternate list is cut down again to about 5 students.

I have my fingers crossed for both of us!

Hey Mealac,

I also received a letter stating that I was on the prioritized alternate list. As I recall from Dr. Eubanks, it is a short list of ranked students that didn't quite make the cut after the May 15 decision day. Many people (that were on the no decision list) received rejection letters this past week.

I believe that after June 30, the alternate list is cut down again to about 5 students.

I have my fingers crossed for both of us!

I had assumed that this was the waiting list, correct? A couple of concerns....How many made the list?...How many spots usually open?...Are letters sent out as spots open or do they still meet every few weeks?

Yeah good questions. I've been wondering how long the waiting list is. I called and asked if they could tell us our rank on the list - they said "no." Such a stressful process!

If anyone is looking for a place to live, I know of a nice place in Old Metairie (very good area). It is a 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex. The tenant in the other half of the duplex is a med student. There is a nice yard with some landscaping/flowers, central heating and air, washer and dryer hookups, within 6 miles of the school, good landlords, etc. The price is $875 per month. Call Jaimie at 504-885-6585 or email [email protected]. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
So August 5th is when we all meet in person!! I wonder what they mean by "orientation has been revamped." Does anyone know what all orientation entails?

Not exactly sure what all was revamped, but at Camp Tiger last month the L2's were saying how horrible and disorganized orientation was the previous year and that they suggested an entirely different approach. So we shall see.

I know the first day (August 5th) we have to wear business attire, probably for our picture IDs. I also heard that we will learn what forum groups (12ish people) we will be in and that is who you will tour and spend orientation with (and pretty much the rest of 1st and 2nd year with in your forum groups). I think we will probably also learn our tank mates (anatomy lab partners). We will also meet our "big buddy." That is the L2 that is supposed to give us some stuff to make our life easier--notes, books, advice, etc. They will be our "big buddy" throughout our 4 years.

Last year's forum groups were done alphabetically. I heard the L2 orientation rep talking about how they were trying to make the group members have more in common, such as those that are married, those who have kids, maybe those in certain age groups, not sure exactly. Not sure if that was for the forum groups or just for random interest groups.

I think we also meet and hear from our instructors, get syllabi, learn what books are required/suggested, tour, hear more financial aid stuff, learn about volunteering, clubs/interest groups we could join, etc. Not all sure what else there is to do in 5 days of orientation, but it should be interesting.

Whatever it is, they said come Wed August 12th its dive right in, no BS like in undergrad with syllabi, etc.

See you guys in a month. Cograts to all accepted. Anyone else hear anything?

Thanks BRTiger for all of that great info!! I'm even more excited about starting.

Does anyone know if we are having a white coat ceremony?

The white coat ceremony is right at the beginning of second year. This year it is August 1st, I think.

does anyone know when lsu verifies cost of attendance to whoever we're getting loans from? i keep checking the status of my loan and it still says cost of attendance verified by school: 0

At least half of our class was waiting on their loans for weeks into the semester. The school will wait on getting paid, but hopefully you can pay your rent and such without it for the first month or so.

At least half of our class was waiting on their loans for weeks into the semester. The school will wait on getting paid, but hopefully you can pay your rent and such without it for the first month or so.

Can't stress his enough and wish I had known as an incoming L1. You will wait about 4 weeks for your financial aid check. You need to be able to buy books, supplies and pay your bills for a month. I'm a L3, class started 2 weeks ago and they are saying it will be another 3 weeks for checks!!!

No new info or movement on the list?

Keep the faith dude, I was accepted in the first week of July. (I'm an L4 now.)

Do schedule a postmortem meeting if you don't get in (you don't absolutely need to do the things they suggest but they can be helpful).

Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to carry around your laptop everyday?

Are any of you going to bring your spouse or significant other to orientation?

My wife is coming the first day as well. I asked the organizers and they said that would be the best day to bring them.

Awesome. My wife might come for the first three days.

Does anyone know if orientation each day is all day or just till lunch?

Can anyone tell me if it's necessary to carry around your laptop everyday?

Most people I know brought them everyday. During lecture its helpful to have the powerpoint opened in front of you so you can take notes on them or get a closer look at an image. During histo and path the laptop is basically your microscope allowing you to navigate through slides. Many people also study on campus so they have their laptops along for that. You are also expected to be wired in checking your email a few times a day so it is helpful for that purpose as well.

Did those of you planning on bringing your spouse read the new announcement. I don't understand why they sent us a letter to invite our spouse so that they can understand the demands of medical school, but then in another breath say that guests don't find orientation insightful so they shouldn't bother coming. So really they're only invited to Thursday's interest peer group. How is that going to allow them to see what medical school will be like? :confused:

Did those of you planning on bringing your spouse read the new announcement. I don't understand why they sent us a letter to invite our spouse so that they can understand the demands of medical school, but then in another breath say that guests don't find orientation insightful so they shouldn't bother coming. So really they're only invited to Thursday's interest peer group. How is that going to allow them to see what medical school will be like? :confused:

Most of orientation would be profoundly boring for a spouse. Sitting thru talks of financial aid, insurance, librarian technology, learning to use your computer or the 50 times that someone will say "my door is open to you, when you have your meltdown come to me". The part that would be good would be the Q&A forums with the upperclassmen when you talk about what its like to be a medstudent. Most of orientation doesn't give you insight into this and is alot of form filling out and snooze inducing speeches and teaching you to use them internets. There are also evening social activities which would be great to bring a spouse along to.

thanks, that helps. i was wondering if spouses were invited to school events/parties.

thanks, that helps. i was wondering if spouses were invited to school events/parties.

My husband has tagged along to many events. He is often bored tho because inevitably we start talking about our coursework at some point. He usually brings along a non med buddy so he has someone to hang out with when this happens. Most of our parties are post test parties so we're usually all bi*&$@(& about the exams we just took which can be super boring for outsiders. Many of the married couples don't go to those parties though, especially those with kids. We do have other social outings like tubing trips and crawfish boils that are less about drunken debauchery so they attract a different group of people.

My husband has tagged along to many events. He is often bored tho because inevitably we start talking about our coursework at some point. He usually brings along a non med buddy so he has someone to hang out with when this happens. Most of our parties are post test parties so we're usually all bi*&$@(& about the exams we just took which can be super boring for outsiders. Many of the married couples don't go to those parties though, especially those with kids. We do have other social outings like tubing trips and crawfish boils that are less about drunken debauchery so they attract a different group of people.

that is good to know, thanks. i know it changes from year to year but what would be a rough estimate of single students, married students, men married with kids, and women married with kids?

that is good to know, thanks. i know it changes from year to year but what would be a rough estimate of single students, married students, men married with kids, and women married with kids?

I would guess that at least half the class comes into medschool in a serious relationship. Many marry during school. A handful come in with kids and then another handful have kids each year.

Besides financial aid, pictures, and interest groups, what all does orientation involve? Do they explain the whole process of medical school such as how long we have off to study for Step 1, how long we have off third and fourth year, how rotations work (how we get placed), how getting placed for residencies work, etc. These are all things I'm wondering about. Or should we already know these things.

Besides financial aid, pictures, and interest groups, what all does orientation involve? Do they explain the whole process of medical school such as how long we have off to study for Step 1, how long we have off third and fourth year, how rotations work (how we get placed), how getting placed for residencies work, etc. These are all things I'm wondering about. Or should we already know these things.

orientation will likely only deal with first year related issues. at least, that is how mine was. the other topics will be discussed at meetings as they become relevant.

orientation will likely only deal with first year related issues. at least, that is how mine was. the other topics will be discussed at meetings as they become relevant.

Yep. I think they assume that you're already overwhelmed and save the post L2 stuff for later. During your L2 year they will discuss step 1 and clinical rotations and then during your L3 year they will discuss away rotations and the match. There are a few documents floating around that explain these things so you could ask your big buddy for them (who might have to ask their big buddy since they are fresh L2s). Also reading a few pertinent chapters of "Iserson's Guide to Getting a Residency" can give you a bit of the big picture if that makes you more comfortable.

Orientation will involve mostly welcome stuff, some cautionary tales about adjusting to life in med school, a lot of disaster-preparedness info, esp. for those unfamiliar with hurricaine evacuation proceedures and general orientation stuff regarding the city and travel times, etc.

The STEP 1, white coat, etc. stuff will all be touched on later, there will be enough to go over those first few days without touching on those topics.

Regarding spouses, it's mostly helpful for them to come the first day, and even then only part of that. Orientation is primarily for you, the big thing they will get out of it is that they'll never see you work harder or have as little free time as they will in the next 8+ years, it helps to have other spouses they can commiserate with.

That being said it is totally doable and you and your family will learn to adjust. The first few months are always the most difficult but you won't be going through it alone.

I would like to conduct a career planning seminar at LSU HRC, does anyone have have any interest in attending?

Keep the faith dude, I was accepted in the first week of July. (I'm an L4 now.)

Do schedule a postmortem meeting if you don't get in (you don't absolutely need to do the things they suggest but they can be helpful).

What as your form of acceptance? A letter or a call?

I just called admissions and basically they will be sending out letters tomorrow but overall Cathy said there has been no changes but she couldn't give me an absolute or indicate what the letters might say. So she said overall wait listed folks need to plan like they are not getting accepted this year although there is a chance someone may still withdraw before August. But I heard before that the wait list was narrowed down about this time also so I am not sure what will happen.