LSU New Orleans residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received this private message and thought perhaps others would be interested in the answer.

I was wondering if you knew if LSU would have a residency program anytime in the near future?

It's my understanding that LSU-New Orleans is actively pursuing accreditation of an anesthesiology residency, with a goal to start the first group in July, 2009. They closed the program about seven years ago, but have decided to re-open it. Keep an eye on their webpage: http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/Anesthesiology/

The hospitals envisioned as rotation sites (some of which are already under LSU contract) will give tons of experience in carcinoid resections with one of the country's recognized experts, knife and gun club trauma, ortho trauma, plus the other typical cases where the population grows ever closer to averaging a triple-digit BMI. All while enjoying the exotic feel of living in a third-world country.

.... and best of all, the JPP-meister is here in town (though not at LSU [yet I keep hoping]) ... you might get to meet him and be amazed at his Oakley sunglasses !!

LSU-Shreveport, in the northwest corner of the state, maintains an active, on-going program: http://www.anesthesia.lsuhsc.edu/

Members don't see this ad.

They have been talking about this since I started school in 2005. We have a 4th year planning day / residency fair on Monday afternoon. If they say something about this program. I'll post if they do!

I'm glad to hear that LSU is reopening its Anesthesiology Residency Program. There is a national shortage of anesthesiologists and I'm sure New Orleans could definitely use the manpower. I hope their accredidation goes through because it seems like the perfect opportunity for an anesthesiologist in training to get a truly dynamic experience.

Members don't see this ad :)