LSU School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Woodgate

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering the Louisiana State University School of Medicine (in either New Orleans or Shreveport), since it's close to home and all that, so I'm wondering if any of you have any opinions of the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 1st year at LSUHSC-Shreveport and so far it has been great. If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Not sure why anyone(in their right mind), given the opportunity, would choose Shreveport over New Orleans. I'm in school here (3rd), and it's awesome. You study hard and have plenty of choices when it comes time to play hard. Not sure about Shreveport....perhaps you go fishing or something.

Additionally, we have Charity Hospital here which is ideal for med. studs. You have tons of opportunities to suture, make incisions, drill screws, place central lines and Foley's(yippee!!!), etc. Truly a unique experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at LSU Shreveport Medical School. While there is no question that New Orleans has much more access to night life, Shreveport isn't exactly a hick town. My classmates seem to have a pretty good time locally.

Maybe being a mile from Bourbon Street would be too much of a distraction...you never know.

I interviewed at New Orleans and was impressed with the facilities. We also have a fairly big hospital attached to the medical school, and we have all the urban health care issues of a city three times our size. (gangs, drugs, etc.)

Logistically, Shreveport is a lot easier to manage. I live about five miles from the school and the commute takes about ten minutes. The same drive in New Orleans might take an hour.

We have the "new curriculum" at Shreveport. We never have more than four hours of lectures per day (but usually two or three) and we're usually done for the day around two o'clock.

This leaves plenty of time for studying, you understand.

For anyone interested in New Orleans....not sure what Panda is talking about regarding the daily commute. Perhaps he/she is confusing this town with Atlanta, LA, New York, etc. I live four miles from downtown (where the med. schools---Tulane and LSU are located), in the Uptown area. At most this takes 20 minutes. Some students bike to school.

Many students live even closer to town in the lovely Garden District or even the Central Business District which is full of awesome lofts and other apartments. AN HOUR DRIVE in New Orleans does not exist. Unless you're travelling to Mississippi or Baton Rouge.

I suggest that if you want to offer some insight, have some of your own regarding the topic you're discussing.

Hello anyone out there getting ready to start at New Orleans or Shreveport? I've been accepted to Shreveport, but I'm still waiting to hear from New Orleans. The wait is killing me!

Go to Shreveport. Less distractions, crime. I heard M.I.P. is a nightmare at New Orleans, but well taught at Shreveport. Also, heard Shreveport has self made Histology cd ROM to review. New curriculum at New Orleans isn't cutting edge at all. They just require everyone to buy a computer, there is no freshman computer lab any more, but the basic sciences are not better taught. However, Big Charity is great in New Orleans. 3rd and 4th year probably are better in New Orleans. Not sure.

Go to Shreveport. Less distractions, crime. I heard M.I.P. is a nightmare at New Orleans, but well taught at Shreveport. Also, heard Shreveport has self made Histology cd ROM to review. New curriculum at New Orleans isn't cutting edge at all. They just require everyone to buy a computer, there is no freshman computer lab any more, but the basic sciences are not better taught. However, Big Charity is great in New Orleans. 3rd and 4th year probably are better in New Orleans. Not sure.

i am not attending LSU- NO, but I did see the new facilities associated with the new curriculum and it is really amazing. I don't think that the previous poster has had an opportunity to look at the new center or hear the opionions of the the current students who tested the programs.

I am sure you will get a good education at both schools. I will be sad to leave New Orleans because it is a beautiful city. It has always seem to me be a small town that is....well a big city. Maybe that is because I live uptown.
The only thing I don't like about the city is the quality of the roads.

Take it from a very experienced procrastinator...it is easy to get distracted anywhere you go if you are easily distractable!

I'll be starting at LSU-NO next semester. I am from Baton Rouge, so the prospect of being closer to home was definitely appealing. I actually didn't even interview at Shreveport because I'd already been accepted to N.O. by the time the interview came up. I was very impressed by the facilities, new curriculum, and students in New Orleans. I am also sure that Shreveport is a great school - I just feel much more at home in southern Louisiana. From what I gather, Shreveport is maybe a little more laid back and has a smaller class - New Orleans seems to be kind of intense. But like somebody already said - work hard, play hard.

Just couldn't help but read the LSU Medicine thread!

I just finished my second year here at LSU-NO and I am currently studying for the USMLE- Step 1. All of you guys who will be starting here in August are gonna love it!

The school is great, (esp. the new curricculum(sp?). I am in the last class of the old curriculum, and I can tell you first hand, the class of 2005 is getting way more hands on clinical experience than our class. There is a lot more small group time than just straight lectures with a lot more emphasis on real-life case presentations as opposed to minutia from a textbook.

New Orleans can't be beat. It's definitely nice to have things to do and places to go when you have breaks.

For those of you still deciding between NO and Shreveport (I was in the same boat 2 years ago), here is why I chose NO.

1. 3rd and 4th year at Charity - enough said. You WILL see EVERYTHING... and more.

2. Higher % of 4th years got 1st choice of residency (I think this is still the case, or at least it was when I applied) and better chance to go out of state for residency if you choose to (very few Shreveport people go further than LA and TX -nothing wrong with that at all; I want to head to the East Coast).

3. Liked the block system of tests. NO has combined exams, where all of your classes combine questions and you have 1 big test approximately every 4-6 weeks (3 or 4 total per semester). Very intimidating at first, but now I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not only does it get you in the mindset of the boards, where questions jump from subject to subject, more importantly (for me anyway) is that you get a BREAK! The two weeks post-test are very laid back - sure class is still going on, but you can relax, go out, see friends, go home, go on trips..whatever!

4. I'm from Baton Rouge originally (LSU undergrad), so took that into account as well. Although not one of the key factors (I don't go home that often...) it's still reassuring to be close (and get home cooked meals from time to time). Plus, it's closer to BR for football games (by the way - the med school gets around 100 tickets for each game so you can pretty much go to any LSU home game you want - and they're free!!)

Those were my top reasons. Nonetheless, I was still very impressed with Shreveport. I interviewed and got into NO in November (and no my MCAT was NOT good, several points below the school average). I didn't hear from Shreveport, the only other school I applied to, until February (probably because of my low MCAT) but still went up there to check it out. I was hoping to be unimpressed so that my decision would be easy. But, I really liked it. The people, students and faculty, were really welcoming and the facilities are impressive. Just not as much going on as New Orleans.

All in all I think both schools are good. I have several close friends in the Shreveport class, and I think they really enjoy it there (smaller class, less competitive). I will say that I am very happy with my choice to come to NO and have absolutely no regrets. I know I'm getting a good education and think I'll have many opportunities when it comes to residency selection.

OK- study break over, back to Step 1....