LSU Shreveport?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dilaudid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about the program at LSU Shreveport? Quality of training, teaching, anything? I did a search but nothing recent comes up. Any current residents have info on the program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know anything about the program at LSU Shreveport? Quality of training, teaching, anything? I did a search but nothing recent comes up. Any current residents have info on the program? Thanks!

Yeah, the problem with that program is that they put it in Shreveport.

-copro

the program was on probation a year or two ago, but now there is a new pd and things are going much better there. i interviewed there last month. hated the city. the residents were nice and seemed happy though

Members don't see this ad :)
the program was on probation a year or two ago, but now there is a new pd and things are going much better there. i interviewed there last month. hated the city. the residents were nice and seemed happy though

I've got no problem with the Program itself. I'm sure they give you adequate training, all the residents are cool, and in the end you'll get your certificate and be ABA board-eligible, even if you don't come from a stellar training program (like myself). So, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, okay?

Some residency programs in crappy locations rely heavily on residents to actually get the work done. This is because, being at the only "tertiary" and teaching center in a 200 mile radius, they need to make their program look academic. And, fact is, they can't probably pay to attract the brightest faculty, or even shear numbers of providers needed, to come there.

Everyone on the interview trail knows this.

So, most of the truly stellar candidates forgo even interviewing at such programs. Others interview at them and rank them as "back-up" programs in the Match. Not saying that these are not otherwise intelligent and competent future colleagues that will be able to learn the art and science of anesthesia wherever they get their chance to do so, but think about where you want to do the next 3-4 years of your life. These programs tend to fill with people who, unless they grew up in that city and it's their #1 choice, probably are just happy to be in any program that will give them a chance.

I give you this caveat because... if you go to such a program... you're probably going to be in for a lot of work, likely being supervised by some folks who speak Eng-rish as their third language, and while you'll get B-n-B anesthesia you might not necessarily be learning the "state of the art" stuff. Probably, likely, not necessarily.

I would hope I'm wrong. Only those who go there will be able to certify that I am, despite not having any other experience to compare it to unless they transfer.

Good luck.

-copro

I've got no problem with the Program itself. I'm sure they give you adequate training, all the residents are cool, and in the end you'll get your certificate and be ABA board-eligible, even if you don't come from a stellar training program (like myself). So, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, okay?

Some residency programs in crappy locations rely heavily on residents to actually get the work done. This is because, being at the only "tertiary" and teaching center in a 200 mile radius, they need to make their program look academic. And, fact is, they can't probably pay to attract the brightest faculty, or even shear numbers of providers needed, to come there.

Everyone on the interview trail knows this.

So, most of the truly stellar candidates forgo even interviewing at such programs. Others interview at them and rank them as "back-up" programs in the Match. Not saying that these are not otherwise intelligent and competent future colleagues that will be able to learn the art and science of anesthesia wherever they get their chance to do so, but think about where you want to do the next 3-4 years of your life. These programs tend to fill with people who, unless they grew up in that city and it's their #1 choice, probably are just happy to be in any program that will give them a chance.

I give you this caveat because... if you go to such a program... you're probably going to be in for a lot of work, likely being supervised by some folks who speak Eng-rish as their third language, and while you'll get B-n-B anesthesia you might not necessarily be learning the "state of the art" stuff. Probably, likely, not necessarily.

I would hope I'm wrong. Only those who go there will be able to certify that I am, despite not having any other experience to compare it to unless they transfer.

Good luck.

-copro

Good points Copro...basically the jist of where I am training right now.

However, I will say that I think the clinical experience at some of these type of institutions is superb. Although I can't compare myself to anyone else yet (CA3), I think the type of **** I've seen roll in the OR can't be beat...as far as complexity, comorbities, etc... and I think I will be as prepared to take on the scary **** as good as the (insert big name program) graduate.

Overall, you're right. You need to pick a place where you can live for 4 years. There are very few ACGME programs out there that DON'T offer you the OPPORTUNITY to become a damn fine anesthesiologist. However, it's up to the resident to work hard and take advantage of it. In other words, there are ****ty residents graduating from (insert big name program) just like Shreveport.