Lsu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwerty85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is applying to LSU? Does anyone know how many OOS they interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying as OOS, but I'm not sure how many they interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Twelvetigers, I had my GPA calculated, too. I was pleasantly surprised. Was it better or worse than you thought, if you don't mind me asking?

I am applying OOS as well :) They calculated my GPA which I am very happy with :) I dont know how many OOS applicants they interview :(

I liked my GPA calculation from LSU too :) I think I remember reading somewhere on their website that they only review the top 100 OOS folders, so I would think it would probably be less than that for interviews. Don't quote me on that, but I think I read that on their site somewhere...

ETA: LSU only reviews the top 150 OOS folders, so probably 150 or less.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions/folderreview-interview.asp

Hey guys,

If I remember correctly, they interviewed 50 OOS applicants last year, not including Arkansas applicants.

Hope that helps!

how are you guys formatting your responses to the Animal Experiences and Other Related Experiences
 questions? I used their formatting for the Vet Med Experiences question but I am not sure how to go about the other questions. Hmmmmmm

ETA: LSU only reviews the top 150 OOS folders, so probably 150 or less.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/admissions/folderreview-interview.asp

Great. Lol. Really encourages me to send them that $75 check!

Oh well, I'm in this far now. Might as well, huh?

Don't let this be discouraging to you b/c I was in the top 150 last year but didn't interview and ended up getting accepted off the waitlist. So even if you don't get selected for an interview, it doesn't mean it's over. :)

So you can be accepted without even going for an interview? First time applicant here so pardon my ignorance on the subject.

Yes, but it would probably be off the waitlist. They go pretty deep into the waitlist each year, so don't stress too much over the situation (easier said than done, right ;)). I think having an interview helps, but isn't necessary for admissions. I had an interview last year and was called that same night by Jared Granier and also was emailed by one of my interviewers saying I had been accepted (OOS) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm learning to enjoy Mr G's emails ... they're amusing and always get the point across. ;)

Yes, but it would probably be off the waitlist. They go pretty deep into the waitlist each year, so don't stress too much over the situation (easier said than done, right ;)). I think having an interview helps, but isn't necessary for admissions. I had an interview last year and was called that same night by Jared Granier and also was emailed by one of my interviewers saying I had been accepted (OOS) :)

Anyone else plodding though this one... last... supplemental?

Ugh, yes. I'm finding it so hard to talk about my vet experiences and animal experiences without sounding like I'm simply repeating my VMCAS. Anyone else having this problem?

When I filled out LSU's application last year, I remember feeling weird about copying and pasting a lot of stuff. But apparently it was totally fine, based on my acceptance. I suspect they just like to see things in a format that they prefer, and to make sure people can freely express themselves without restrictive word limits.

So for the animal and other experience, it doesn't mention wanting dates or any additional information liken names or addresses... so... I'm just listing what I did and where. Is that what you guys are doing?

ETA: Also, I just noticed, but it says "working with" veterinarians on the first part. So do I not include volunteer stuff up there? Is it paid positions only? That would be a little silly, but I want to make sure that I follow the directions, lol.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I'm still going to list my volunteer/shadowing vet experiences, because there were still things that I did (fecals, etc.). I hope that's OK...

I listed both paid and unpaid experience that was supervised by a veterinarian under the veterinary experience section. I just followed the instructions given, so names, dates, and contact info for veterinary, but only dates for animal experience. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I just peaked at my supplemental (saved on my computer), and I can attempt to answer some of the questions about it based off of what I did . . . I included both volunteer and paid positions. I only listed the main vet with the contact info (the one who wrote my letter of rec, or the practice owner/person I shadowed). I actually put hours down for every animal-related experience, whether they were with a vet or not. I'm not sure if the instructions on this aspect changed from last year, or if I just went ahead and included it all anyway. Hope this helps! Also Jared Granier is the nicest person ever and would be more than happy to answer any questions via email, or even over the phone. Don't worry about bugging him - that's what he's there for, and to me he was the nicest admissions person of all!

I just peaked at my supplemental (saved on my computer), and I can attempt to answer some of the questions about it based off of what I did . . . I included both volunteer and paid positions. I only listed the main vet with the contact info (the one who wrote my letter of rec, or the practice owner/person I shadowed). I actually put hours down for every animal-related experience, whether they were with a vet or not. I'm not sure if the instructions on this aspect changed from last year, or if I just went ahead and included it all anyway. Hope this helps! Also Jared Granier is the nicest person ever and would be more than happy to answer any questions via email, or even over the phone. Don't worry about bugging him - that's what he's there for, and to me he was the nicest admissions person of all!

Last year, I did mine in a resume format. I put the vet's name, the clinic name, address and phone, my position and the dates. Then I put what I did/learned there with a bulleted list.

I agree that Jared is awesome and really nice. He responds really quickly to emails and is always very helpful. When he called about my acceptance, I felt like he actually knew who I was and was actually happy for me personally. Just make sure you read every email he sends and do whatever he tells you to do. Not following his directions and not reading his emails are his pet peeves.

Just a word of warning... the text editor on the site is pretty terrible. Don't expect your format to stay the same intact from the Word document you typed it in, and don't expect the editor to make it easy to fix. In fact, you might want to type the stuff directly on the LSU page if you aren't terrified of losing it... which, of course you are...

Blugh.

Yeah, I think I did things "backwards": typed in the online form, and then periodically copied and pasted what I had written into a Word document to save it.

That sounds like the ideal way to proceed.

Applicants! You have been warned!

I managed to make it look decent. Then I submitted. Here's hoping there are no typos like the one I found in Western's the other day... that one was pretty bad. Lol.

For the diversity question, did ya'll actually write an essay or did you do bullets? I'm thinking essay, but it suggest bullets...?

I just checked my status on LSU's website, and I made it to the top 150 for OOS :) Did anyone else make it, and if so, did your GPA calculations disappear? My GPA's had been calculated, but now they both just say TBA....?

I just checked my status on LSU's website, and I made it to the top 150 for OOS :) Did anyone else make it, and if so, did your GPA calculations disappear? My GPA's had been calculated, but now they both just say TBA....?

I just checked and I got it too! The first sentence scared the crap out of me, it sounded like a typical opener to a rejection letter

did it say this for "Current Status"? near the top of the status page? or was it down by the GPA calculations? CONGRATS!

oh, and also what did your status say before? was it "Folder Under Review"?? myn still says "Applicant is Unreviewed" i dont know if this is a bad thing, or if it just means they haven't gotten to my app yet...

I remember my GPA's disappearing last year too . . . Don't worry about it - they'll reappear eventually

I just checked and I got it too! The first sentence scared the crap out of me, it sounded like a typical opener to a rejection letter

Haha, same here! I started to read it and I was like, oh no they rejected me :(...but then I kept reading and it got better :)

And yes, it was under the "status." Mine had previously said "unreviewed" (I think).

Mine still says "unreviewed". For anyone's who has changed, do you mind posting your GPA (according to LSU) and GRE so I can get a feel of who is in the top 150 vs. where I am? (I understand if you don't want to, just thought I'd ask)

I made it too!!!!! AAAAHHHH! I'm so excited. I kinda panicked when I saw the latest on this thread and my heart sank when I saw the "We recognize and appreciate the time you took in developing your 2011 application packet and we commend you for your achievements and effort thus far..." but I'm super relieved now.

For anyone's who has changed, do you mind posting your GPA (according to LSU) and GRE so I can get a feel of who is in the top 150 vs. where I am? (I understand if you don't want to, just thought I'd ask)

Yes, I second this request!!! Anyone??

Pretty sure that I'm not in the top 150, status has not changed. Boo.:(

Thanks for the optimism, goldnretrivrgrl. :) I'm thinking that since the last update to the system was 11/29, that the ship has sailed. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Thanks for the optimism, goldnretrivrgrl. :) I'm thinking that since the last update to the system was 11/29, that the ship has sailed. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.
No problem. We all have to support each other here! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Mine still says Applicant is Unreviewed so I'm going to keep hoping that they haven't gotten around to reviewing my application yet. I mean...if they haven't reviewed it, how would they know whether or not I'm in the top 150?

My status just changed yesterday to the top 150 comment so they're still reviewing applications or changing statuses. Good luck everyone!

Well BuggerDoodle, you made me feel a little better! And I totally agree, Chinola, how do they know unless they review our apps? Here's to hoping!

Well, LSU is out. Officially not in the top 150. :(

Staying optimistic for the other 7...someone show me some love?