SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Lublin or Carribean

Discussion in 'Europe' started by sumozmom, Mar 6, 2007.

1. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Where would you go and why?

please help....confused....:eek:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    does any body know alittle info to provide...here?

4. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed 7+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2007
    You're being way too general. "Carribean," could mean University of the Dutch West Indes, St. George's, St. Theresa's, IUHS, etc...

Lublin deals with an agent, which is shady. If you get into SGU/Ross/SABA/AUC, I don't see why one would even consider an option like Europe. If you don't get into one of those, then it's a toss-up; Lublin or a lesser Carib school will still prevent you from California licensure, and are a gamble. After all the agent fees, Lublin probably only comes out a little cheaper. Plus, get it in writing that Lublin GUARANTEES (or their agent) that you can do all your clinicals in the US; not just a certain amount of weeks for electives.

So: Top Carib schools > Lublin = Lower Carib schools

5. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    all i know is that the Medical University in Lublin was founded in 1944, at first as a faculty of UMCS. Soon (in 1950) Medical University became a separate unit, containing three faculties:

Medicine with Dentistry Subdivision
    Nursing
    Pharmacy with Medical Analitic Subdivision

Students of Medical University can become members of international federations like IFMSA, EMSA. These federations provide co-operation with medical schools from all the world organising students exchanges. Other students organisations include Students Research Association which deals with scientific activities and enables publication of students papers.
    From the very beginning existence of the Medical University in Lublin 11 000 students became M.D.

6. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    any other opinions???????????????????/

7. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever 7+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2004
    apply to Poznan, Krakow or Warsaw... they don't use agents so it's a lot cheaper. Those first two have a great track record...

Lublin is in the middle of nowhere. It's in the poor part of poland (the eastern part)... I'd try to go in to one of those three non-agent schools... Lublin, Katowice(Silesia/Slask) or Lodz are shady because of the agents... and the cities suck compared to Poznan, krakow, Warsaw

8. GreenShirt

GreenShirt 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I want through this same debate last year. Based on my research I got the impression that the Caribbean schools are more modeled on the US Med. School Education system than the Polish schools, which are more Euro-based. The advantage is that your education would be more geared towards the boards. However, you could still go to Poland and study on your own for boards. The other plus is that the Carib. schools have clerkships in the US, which not all of the Polish schools do.

(In the end, I applied to DO schools in the US and got in...so if you want to stay here that's a good option too)

9. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    it's not about the agents ...they ar not part of the education!
    its about the program,location, the pros/cons...that should be the deciding factor.

10. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    it's not about the agents ...they ar not part of the education!
    its about the program,location, the pros/cons...that should be the deciding factor.

11. wadigga33

wadigga33 Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Hi..went to Lublin. I am still debating if it was a good idea. Here are some facts: you do have to go through an agent(HMI). you have to pay a fee up front but it is still cheaper than probably anywhere you might find($4250/semester USD). you have the option of where you want to do your clerkships. You may choose to stay in poland or you can do them in the states. most students do them in Brooklyn, some stay in poland and do a few to study and bc it is cheaper. There are only 3-4 locations currently but they say they are working on more. you are guarntd. spots in the usa! you dont have to worry about that. The education poland is not the best but it is in english but they teach you EVERYTHING not just what you need for boards. some/most of the exams are not usmle type exams but still multiple choice and some oral exams(patho was an oral exam and some others). You do get a chance to experience Europe while there and travel. The weather is similar to the Northeast US and it is kind of out of the way but the town is nice, has everything you need(micky d's, coffee shops, good food and CHEAP!) The exchange is anywhere from 3-4 polish to 1 usd. Just recently, since poland went into the EU, they have passed new educational requirements. Electives include everything. you have to do a week or 2 of all electives even though you dont have any interest in ID or derm. if you want more info just PM me and i will answer any/all of your questions.

12. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    " I am still debating if it was a good idea."

?????

13. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    The only bad thing about the agents is that you pay extra money for services they don't necessarily provide (from what I hear). You still get a good education, but its a matter of principle.

The other poster is correct about Warsaw, Krakow, and Poznan in respect to program and location. These are the best and oldest universities in Poland (Copernicus, the guy who mathematically proved that the earth revolved around the sun, went to the university in Krakow, as did the former Pope).

I've been to Warsaw, Krakow, and Lodz. The first two are great because they are bigger cities. Krakow is the most beautiful of these and is not far from the mountains in the south, which are gorgeous and great to hike.

So based on location and program, the non-agent schools are the best quality. However, the benefit of the agent programs are the US clinicals. If you contact HMI, they can send you a packet that includes a list of residency matches for recent grads. If you work hard, you'll do fine at any of the schools.

14. Oszukany

Oszukany

Mar 23, 2007
    Students of Medical University can become members of international federations like IFMSA, EMSA. These federations provide co-operation with medical schools from all the world organising students exchanges. Other students organisations include Students Research Association which deals with scientific activities and enables publication of students papers.
    From the very beginning existence of the Medical University in Lublin 11 000 students became M.D.[/quote]

I hope you don't genuinely believe that. I have a colleague who went there. It was very frustrating. She could not effectively join those organizations because the meetings are in Polish. Furthermore, the exchange programs are competitive and there is no history of any of the aforementioned chapters in Poland *ever* sending a non-Polish student on exchange. WHile the above maybe true...they're talking about their Polish students, not the foreign ones.

15. Oszukany

Oszukany

Mar 23, 2007
    2. Independent universities- Preferable. The profits they make stay within the universities and thus re-invested in education. Tuition paid to agent universities are split between the university and agent. Thus the school has 50% re-investment whereas independent has 100%.
    Many of the independent universities not only cater to americans, but to europeans, middle eastern, and south asian communities. Thus they have a reputation to hold. Especially because some of the M.E. and S.A. graduates stay within Poland as opposed to the US agency schools. Think about it, if you were training a physician who was going to stay in your country, you'd want to train him/her well. If you were training someone who is going abroad and the bottom line is making profits, you're not gonna really care how they turn out in the end.
    Also compare the independent univ. syllibi, they are more akin to what the Polish students study and a lot more fun--you get an earlier exposure to clinical medicine and fun electives.

16. vp826

vp826 Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2005
    i am forced to hijact the thread for a bit. sorry

what about the bulgarian schools? is univ. of sofia a good schoool which also allows you to do your clerkship in the US.? is the content sufficient enough to pass the uslme w/o doing a lot of teaching yourself studying? anybody go to/went to bulgaria for school?

i am torn up between carib. and europe also. basically if i stay in the US and try for the carib, it will be a risk whether i get into a very good school there and i would waste 2-3 years if i didnt get in. if i go to europe, i will def get in and could work my butt off and kick butt with a fresh new start.

:)

17. Meatwad

Jan 19, 2007
    Bulgaria you might be able to do a few months of electives in the US. From what I've read, though, you have to do the majority of your rotations in Bulgaria. It's not really designed for US/Canadian students to the extent even Polish schools are.

18. Meatwad

Jan 19, 2007
    Oh, and don't just go with the quickest route; if you "waste," a year here and work yourself real hard, you might be able to shoot higher than Caribbean and get into a DO school; a much better option than going abroad.

19. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    but with those other school.....i believe you cannot do rotations in the USA ...is that correct?

20. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    I believe it's electives only in USA.

21. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    i just sent HOPE my app w/$$$$ and now they are not returning my calls?

huh..........?

22. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah, I had that problem. I sent them two e-mails, about 5 months apart, politely asking about the program, and the reply to the second e-mail was: "We will not reply to anymore e-mails from you":mad: They did not respond to the 3rd e-mail I sent them. I'm sure they are inundated w/ tons of paranoid e-mails asking about the validity of the program, which could get annoying, but my questions were not along those lines and I only sent 2 in the course of a year. It was definitely a red flag for me.

It could be that they have a small staff and are really busy with the application cycle, but as someone who has given them money and showed an intent to enter their program, I would want more responsiveness.

23. Oszukany

Oszukany

Mar 23, 2007
    I'm sorry GS & suzmom, you've only started to waste your money on HMI kind of get what you deserve.:( After overwhelming negative feedback from mutliple sources, you were still naive enough to ignore the facts presented. :confused:

I hope it was worth the $15,000, or however much they charge for you to be ignored. :laugh: But maybe if you're lucky, you can visit the owner's multimillion dollar masion!!! :smuggrin:

24. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    thank you for providing valuble info

25. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    Uh actually, I ended up not applying to HMI. I can tell from your bitter tone and your screen name that you feel you were "tricked" by HMI. Maybe you should have done more research yourself before wasting your money. I think it's great if you want to warn people about the potential pitfalls of going through HMI, but you're not going to get much sympathy for your situation if you start attacking people.

26. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ok what about LODZ....sounds like a good school!

27. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    I believe you have to go through the "AIM" agency to apply there (www.gotomedschool.com), which means dealing with the pros and cons of dealing with agents. The city is the 2nd largest in Poland, not too far from the capitol Warsaw. It's a bit industrial but still has plenty of Old World charm. I've been to Lodz, but I don't know about the program itself.

28. sumozmom

Oct 31, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ok any more inputs? Lodz - Lublin - St James- AUA- St Eustacius....