Lumadent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desiballas

Pacific
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up with the new company Lumadent, people who have talked about it on SDN seem to love it, but all the posts have been within the past couple months. Any idea on the long-term stability of this light or are they a new company with no such history?

Members don't see this ad.

What's up with the new company Lumadent, people who have talked about it on SDN seem to love it, but all the posts have been within the past couple months. Any idea on the long-term stability of this light or are they a new company with no such history?

I don't know much about the logistics, but I am planning to get one. I have heard nothing but good things about the light, and the price is HALF the Ultralight price for literally the same technology. How do I know this? I just talked to some Ultralight reps and they were a little unsavory towards my mention of Lumadent. they think that they "stole" their technology and they might be currently seeking litigation. that might be a long term problem for those who get the light in terms of warranties and repairs, but I'm going to take my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about the logistics, but I am planning to get one. I have heard nothing but good things about the light, and the price is HALF the Ultralight price for literally the same technology. How do I know this? I just talked to some Ultralight reps and they were a little unsavory towards my mention of Lumadent. they think that they "stole" their technology and they might be currently seeking litigation. that might be a long term problem for those who get the light in terms of warranties and repairs, but I'm going to take my chances.

They're probably upset because the market isn't in there favor anymore! Gotta love competition! I am planning on buying a lumadet as well around the beginning of the new year.

Ultralight came to our school the other day and i couldn't wait to ask the guy why we should choose them instead of lumadent. The guy never asked for questions though, he just kinda said "that's it, see ya later".

It also says on their handout that the next closest light on the market is something like 14g, which is a blatant lie. I'll be going lumadent as well. I don't care how flashy your rep is (even if it's your brother) lying to your customers is a big no-no for me.

Oh and lol @ 75 bucks for the composite filter.

What would be the best way to get the information out to my classmates. I am probably going to set up a group buy for us. One thing I was thinking about was is it easy to take off the light when you store it? How does it compare to the Mini Daylight?

How much are Ultra lights? They don't have a price on the website. Also is the intensity on the lumadent light adjustable?

How much are Ultra lights? They don't have a price on the website. Also is the intensity on the lumadent light adjustable?

ultra's are more expensive. lumadent lights are adjustable

ultra's are more expensive. lumadent lights are adjustable

Then Lumadent's lights are not only cheaper, but they are extremely similar in size and performance.
Is there any real fear that they stole Ultra lights tech? I don't know if that would keep me from purchasing lumadent; the price is just to good, and litigious activities sometimes takes years if not decades (esp when businesses are involved).

Then Lumadent's lights are not only cheaper, but they are extremely similar in size and performance.
Is there any real fear that they stole Ultra lights tech? I don't know if that would keep me from purchasing lumadent; the price is just to good, and litigious activities sometimes takes years if not decades (esp when businesses are involved).

haha you worry too much, just go buy it, i got one myself, its awesome. Lots of dentists are using it too.

Both companies has been around for a while, if ultralight was going to sue lumadent, it would've happend already.

Is there anyone who has been using a Lumadent for a while and had any issues?

Hey guys, I have been using the lumadent light and filter for 6 months about every other day... i love it. its light, the battery lasts long, and brightness is excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have heard nothing but good things about lumadent over on dentaltown.

Ultralight was nice and all when they first started (like 3 years ago) but their customer service was and continues to be horrible. I used mine twice and my battery pack broke. Saw a rep at a convention and she said I could email them and they'd take care of it for free. Emailed them and they said they could sell me a new one for a "discount". When they figured that I wasn't going to buy a new one, they said they could fix the knob that was broken for 75 bucks.

Just seems shady w/ all the "discounts".

Student discount prices for the Ultralight is $495 + tax/shipping.

Is anyone interested in doing a group order for the lumadents? It's $333 for a group of 4.

I don't know anything about lumadent but you can hardly beat ultralight's service. I bought hte original ultra, used it for 4 years daily without as much as a hiccough, and it broke.

I sent it back to them WAY outside of warranty hoping they could repair it, and they sent me a brand new light, battery, charger, and two mounts (For my loupes and safety glasses) absolutely free of charge.

I was a convert to Lumadent until I investigated a little further. The warranty for Lumadent is a YEAR - though the owner MAY throw in another year. Ultralight offers a warranty throughout your dental school career AND a year after you are out of school. I figure that the chances of breaking my light would be higher during my dental school years, and I don't want to have to pay for another light if something were to happen. The extra ~ 200 or so probably covers the warranty. My 2 cents.

The one thing I didn't like about ultra light was their random pricing. I asked them how much it was and they gave me one price. Then I told them that it was too much and they gave me another price if I got 20 more people to buy their product (are you kidding me?). Then I tell them 20 people is too much and then they tell me that they can offer me that group price (which was still way more than lumadent).

I don't know much about lights but I haven't really heard of the actual lights breaking down (batteries do wear down over time). I checked both lumadent and ultras websites and they offer very similar warranties. I wouldn't really count on ultra repairing things after 1-2 years at this point (I assume they changed their policy? or you just got lucky).

Yeah you guys must've gotten lucky with them. I bought my light back in 2nd/3rd year (3 years ago) used my light twice and the on/off switch in the knob broke.

Talked to one of their reps at a conference and they said it's covered a year after I get out of school so I emailed them and they said they wouldn't cover it. Said they could sell a new pack for a couple hundred bucks. When I told them I don't need an extra pack they said they could fix the knob for 75 bucks. Afterward they said they would fix it for 55 bucks...feels like I'm bargaining with someone in a pawn shop. :rolleyes: Pretty pricey for just switching out a potentiometer which probably cost them $1.

So, just went to a handyman and got it all fixed for 10 bucks. :idea:

Yeah you guys must've gotten lucky with them. I bought my light back in 2nd/3rd year (3 years ago) used my light twice and the on/off switch in the knob broke.

Talked to one of their reps at a conference and they said it's covered a year after I get out of school so I emailed them and they said they wouldn't cover it. Said they could sell a new pack for a couple hundred bucks. When I told them I don't need an extra pack they said they could fix the knob for 75 bucks. Afterward they said they would fix it for 55 bucks...feels like I'm bargaining with someone in a pawn shop. :rolleyes: Pretty pricey for just switching out a potentiometer which probably cost them $1.

So, just went to a handyman and got it all fixed for 10 bucks. :idea:

which company?

Looking for 2 more people so we can get a group deal through lumadent ($333).

Looking for 2 more people so we can get a group deal through lumadent ($333).

I a interested; but I have to talk to them first and make sure it is compatible with my loupes. They are closed till 01/10.

Lumadent is kinda shady

I just weighed my light on a scale and got 15 grams. What liars, they claimed 5 grams! I felt the light with an ultralight and my lumadent was definitely much heavier. I thought it was suppose to be the same! Feeling kinda cheated now.

Lumadent is kinda shady

I just weighed my light on a scale and got 15 grams. What liars, they claimed 5 grams! I felt the light with an ultralight and my lumadent was definitely much heavier. I thought it was suppose to be the same! Feeling kinda cheated now.

i think the 5 grams is weight without the wire

i think the 5 grams is weight without the wire

Hey there is a new company that entered the market, they were at UNLV's Vendor fair. They are the smallest and lightest i have ever seen, They make a light just as bright as the ultralight but 2/3rds the size. They also give a pelican case with it. Plus It was designed and manufactured by dental students. I think they will be hitting all the other vendor fairs soon. I know that 35 people at UNLV ordered one. I just checked and their website is under construction.

The lumadent light is cheaper than others but make sure u compare with other brands the thing is it's not a big well known company so in terms of customer service if anything goes wrong you may not get as good of service after paying for it. I bought a lumadent light but paid an extra fee when I received it, even though they said I wouldnt get any extra fee so I feel deceived . They didnt reimburse me that fee either only if I bought something else from them in the future. So I was kind of annoyed by that response .