Lumped 2004 PM&R Match Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finally M3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY1 (w) (unf) (central) (unf) (south) (unf) (ne) (unf) (total) (unf)
8 0 23 4 33 2 11 0 75 6

PGY2 (w) (unf) (central) (unf) (south) (unf) (ne) (unf) (total) (unf)
34 1 68 9 46 0 120 1 268 11

Members don't see this ad.

finally m3,

thanks for posting these results. i need to scramble somewhere and the numbers are somewhat helpful. any tips on how to contact the program directors or getting tips on which actual programs are unfilled?

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will be interesting to see what the %US grad rate will be when the post-mortem statistics come out for Match2004.
I think last year was 57%....I think that may be a better indicator of competitiveness, no off. to our IMG/FMG colleagues.

Another thing I noted in the regional statistics; You were SOL if you wanted to scramble out west or in the northeast; One spot available in both of those regions.

On the flip side, why doesn't anyone like the Midwest? Just because it's cold as hell and has the reputation of a cultural wasteland doesn't mean people should avoid it! :laugh:
Midwest seems to be the best chance for people to scramble, and I would assume that my home institution, Wayne State School of Medicine/Rehab Institute of Michigan will have at least one unfilled spot.

m3,

can you tell me a bit about your program please... i need to scramble tomorrow and there's no info about wayne state in scutwork.com!

also, any general advice on how to find info like pros/cons for various programs if there is no feedback on websites like scutwork.com?

thanks for your time...

Here's my interview impression of RIM. I actually really like the program. Good luck today, Aury!

Only interviewee for the day. This was a site I rotated at, so my interview experience may not be the same as those who haven't rotated there.

Quick tour of the new outpatient facility. 1st floor is a where outpatient (and inpatient?) PT is situated, as well as a health club with brand new Cybex machines, some free weights. Outpatient clinics are also to be located within the new building. 2nd floor includes a track, conference rooms, offices. Connects to the older inpatient building, specifically to the redisigned 3rd floor (SC unit).

Inpatient is a free-standing 90+ bed hospital, connected to other components of the DMC by an elaborate tunnel system. 3rd floor was newly renovated, with assurances they are working their way up. It as probably the nicest inpatient rehab floor I've seen (compared to old RIM, UM, Beaumont).

Lunch with the chief residents (one PGY4, one PGY3) at a local restaurant. Following that, interviews with program director, interim director of RIM, two PGY2s (but I was acquainted with them from my rotation) and the SC attending (again, I worked with her on my rotation). Very laid back interviews, with only the program director asking me the standard 'Why PM&R?' question. The rest of my interviews consisted of addressing my questions regarding the program.

Program consists of 5 residents per class, with 2 of the graduating class doing Pain fellowships and 1 pursuing a Sports Med fellowship. PGY2s start performing EMGs in the VA for 2 months, with on average getting around 100 done during that time. PGY2s also have weekly gross anatomy lab time . Residents live all over the place, with a couple living downtown, others in the suburbs.

Inpatient experiences are split between RIM and Sinai Grace Hospital during PGY2 and PGY3. Outpatient clinics include those at RIM as well as various SE Michigan sites. RIM has a contract with a local school district to cover high school athletic events, so sports medicine experience is built into curriculum. Call is overnight call broken up between the PGY2 and 3s for the 1st 12 days of the calendar. Following that, IM nightfloat is contracted to cover RIM. After those 12 days, only weekend day-call is expected. PGY2s and 3s average 1-2 overnight and 1 weekend day call a month.

Concerns; Association with the DMC and the resultant financial difficulties it is experiencing; however, I was assured multiple times that the program is operating within the black, and they are attempting to build their endowment in order to a) increase research/reputation and b) be able to weather disassociation from the DMC. Also, if you never have been to one of the DMC hospitals, their ancillary staff isn't the greatest.

Impressions; pleasantly surprised. In the words of the RIM director, 'cautiously optimistic' in regards to the direction of the program. Program director is very resident friendly, tries to tailor the program to resident needs.

hi m3,

thank you so much for your much needed info. i've sent you a private message, so if you could go to "guest options", then "control panel" and then "private messages," you can get my message.

thanks a million,
aury

Hey Aury, how did your scramble go? Apparently, it was a pretty hard match for many specialties. 7 students had to scramble from my class. (3 surg, 1ob/gyn, 1 path, 1 radiology, 1ortho)

Let us know where you end up!!